mk1 Golf Starter

Velo23
Enlisted
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

mk1 Golf Starter

Post by Velo23 »

Hi Guys,

I have a 1981 mk1 Golf and suspect the starter needs to be replaced.
I had an issue where the car did not want to start and then i removed the key and the car was still swinging :twisted:
Was some smoke coming out from the area where starter is located and then i removed the battery terminal which got it to stop.
Anyone experienced something similar?

I called GoldWagen and they don't stock the Bosch starter only WAG.
Anyone have any experience with the WAG starter from GW or do you recommend I try to source a Bosch?
Velo23
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: mk1 Golf Starter

Post by Ashveer03 »

Wag starters seem to work well. Iv used them on other vws been years without issues. There might be an issue sourcing correct parts for it when trying to repair them tho - not sure if gw stocks spares for wag starters.

U could probably get a Bosch from diesel electric.

Is the starter confirmed to be the issue? The ignition could also be getting jammed, or the starter relay (if the MK1 has one).

Sent from my CPH2371 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Velo23
Enlisted

Post by Velo23 »

Thanks for the info.

It's not confirmed as yet. I changed the ignition about 6 months ago so assume this is not the issue.
I will try to test the starter first though before buying a new one.
Velo23
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

U can manually test it while it's on the car.

First remove the single cable from the starter solenoid. If u have a test light, hook it up and test for power on the wire when turning the ignition into start position, when u release the key the light should go off. If it doesn't, look at the ignition or relay. If it does, try this:

Take a fused wire from battery + touch onto the pin on the solenoid - the engine will swing. If u remove the wire, it must stop. If it doesn't stop, the starter solenoid probably faulty - u can replace that part separately if u wish.

Be prepared to remove the battery terminals incase the starter jams. Maybe disconnect the coil so the engine doesn't start.

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Velo23
Enlisted

Post by Velo23 »

Thanks for this. So it means putting the starter back on :D.
The starter bush came out pretty mangled so i need to source a new one before i can try this.

Seems GW does not stock this any longer.
Velo23
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Well if it's already out u can test it on the floor with boosting cables.

The front bush is damaged?

PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Ashveer03 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:17 pm Well if it's already out u can test it on the floor with boosting cables.

The front bush is damaged?

Mk1 starter has to be in gearbox casing as the front bush OP is refering to is the bronze/brass bush inside the gearbox casing. That bush centres the armature inside the starter and if damaged or worn out cause the armature shaft to be out if alignment and does not turn.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Oh yes. My bad

Velo23
Enlisted

Post by Velo23 »

Yes, thanks all. Saw a video mentioning not to try the starter out of the gearbox as it can get damaged. Not sure how true this.
Yes, bush is completely worn out. Hope there not pieces that fell in to the gearbox.

Struggling to source the bush. I'm in the Midrand, JHB area.
There seems to be a few places online but multiple options and I'm not sure which with be the right one for me.
Velo23