Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1992 Mk2 Golf GTi 1800 8V
Membership No: missing

K-Jetronic Fuel Mixture Settings

Post by GTI'er »

Hi All,

My Car is overfuelling as some stupid mechanic went to turn on the fuel adjustment screws; the four screws which are at the top of the MK2 K-jetronic airflow meter. The CO has been adjusted hence the Dyno but the car is still struggling in the morning to start up and I can smell fuel strongly. Does anyone know the settings for these things? I'm not sure what you call them. Do I need to dyno again? I've already spent so much money so want to know if its possible to do this on your own?

Please help.
Last edited by GTI'er on Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: Red 1992 Mk2 GTi 1800 8V OEM
Current: White 1992 Mk2 GTi 2.0L 16V AAL Exec OEM

Ex: White 1991 Mk2 GTi 2.0L 16V AAL
Ex: Blue 1991 Mk2 GTi 1800 8V
Ebee
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Cti 1.8 k-jet
Membership No: 1377

Re: K-Jetronic Fuel Mixture Settings

Post by Ebee »

I also notice the same very thing i drive a CTI and notice she is dumpigng fuel anyone that can help???
1.8 K-jet CTi
Fly like a bird sting like a Bee
mk1gt-gp

Post by mk1gt-gp »

There is screw which sits between the four screws, it uses a 13 allen key and from what i know it adjusts the fuel and air mixture. Had the same problem with my system and coudnt get it right. now its mp9 and its much better :wink:
Ebee
Cadet
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Cti 1.8 k-jet
Membership No: 1377

Post by Ebee »

Ha ha Thats the thing i know it is that freken screw just need somebody to say go here he can set up nicely, was thinking on going to snails or Kar as a good Mate Jetta suggested.
1.8 K-jet CTi
Fly like a bird sting like a Bee
WaZi-Moto
Cadet

Post by WaZi-Moto »

What area you in?
I spoke to a guy a while ago, he's in Randburg, very near Goldwagen. He's a K-Jet guru and very helpful. Think he's name is Ken. Will see if I can find his details. Is there any black smoke coming out of the exhaust?
Might be an issue with the Warn up valve.
WaZi-Moto
Golf MK2 GTI 8v SOLD :
If you want to do steelies

Audi S3 154kw SOLD
The Staffie III

VWvr
Cadet
Car Model: MK3 VR6 Golf
Membership No: 1340

Post by VWvr »

Hey Guy,

I've had a CTI, my brothers got a CTI and we've both had the same problem, with the car cranking forever to start and when it does its just petrol fumes! Well what we did was disconnect the electrical plug from the cold start fuel delivery on the intake manifold.

Hope this helps
98 Mk3 Golf VR6
12 Amarok BiTDi D/C 4Motion
08 Honda CRF250
peanutville
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Car Make: Dub
Car Model: mk2 gti

Post by peanutville »

I believe the only way to setup a k-jet correctly is to have the analyzer in the exhaust to check the mixture is correct. I got this done a few months ago in CT & only cost around R.125. My k-jet runs like a new car and always starts on the first turn. I've cleaned all the components, as they tend to get a bit clogged up after a few hundred thousand km's.

If anyone needs some k-jet reading material PM me & I'll send it to you....
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3

Post by Killerwatt »

VWvr wrote:Hey Guy,

I've had a CTI, my brothers got a CTI and we've both had the same problem, with the car cranking forever to start and when it does its just petrol fumes! Well what we did was disconnect the electrical plug from the cold start fuel delivery on the intake manifold.

Hope this helps
+1 on this

Usually the themo time switch gives up and does not turn off the cold start injector resulting in overfuelling.

Hope that helps
CTI Driver
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years

Post by CTI Driver »

Hi guys

I also have the same prob on my CTI, as its damn heavy on fuel, and usually also hunted for revs, going up and down, now that thats sorted out, it uses lots fuel again, and also can smell the fuel, can someone maybe show a pic or where I must go to remove this sensor of on the intake?
MK1 CTi 1800

272 Estas Cam
Blue Vernier Gear
Brospeed 4-2-1 Branch
50mm Powerflow Exhaust
Simota Inbox Filter
Eibach 35mm Lowering Springs

87.7kw 155nm

Suzuki SV650 S 2003 Model
VWvr
Cadet
Car Model: MK3 VR6 Golf
Membership No: 1340

Post by VWvr »

CTI Driver wrote:Hi guys

I also have the same prob on my CTI, as its damn heavy on fuel, and usually also hunted for revs, going up and down, now that thats sorted out, it uses lots fuel again, and also can smell the fuel, can someone maybe show a pic or where I must go to remove this sensor of on the intake?
If you stand looking at the engine, on the left hand side of the intake manifold there is a braided fuel line that come off the sensor, unplug the electrical connector. Dont remove the sensor.
98 Mk3 Golf VR6
12 Amarok BiTDi D/C 4Motion
08 Honda CRF250
GTI'er
Cadet
Car Model: 1992 Mk2 Golf GTi 1800 8V

Post by GTI'er »

Hey guys,

To CTI Driver and Ebee

I know what you mean. My car is standard. Its not the warm-up valve as I had that replaced and shouldn't have to unplug anything to get the problem right as i never needed to do this before. Its damn frustrating :x My car was running perfectly when i just got the car, no overfuelling, no struggle to start in the morning, no black smoke on start up, no smell of strong fuel. Its all the opposite now. Ever since the head was giving a problem due to a valve not seating properly which is now sorted; I had 3 mechanics look at the car as we could not diagnose the problem at first. One of the stupid mechanics turned on one of the 4 screws at the top of the airflow meter(which was not necessary, I think he wanted to look kwaai the ****) and ever since then the car idles with what i call a 'blip' it used to idle like vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv now it idles vvvvvvvv'blip'vvv'blip'vvvvvvvvv'blip' if you know what i mean. The car used to idle like a 325is. I even had the car dyno'd by KSD and they set the CO, but the car is still the same. My Airbox is full of fuel.

Someone please help! I do not want to go MP9, but rather want someone to recommend me to a K-Jetronic Guru in the Cape Town Area.
Current: Red 1992 Mk2 GTi 1800 8V OEM
Current: White 1992 Mk2 GTi 2.0L 16V AAL Exec OEM

Ex: White 1991 Mk2 GTi 2.0L 16V AAL
Ex: Blue 1991 Mk2 GTi 1800 8V
crazy_cti_driver
Enlisted
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by crazy_cti_driver »

Anyone figure out where to find that k-jet mechanic in cape town........i have the same problem with my 93 cti
CTI Driver
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years

Post by CTI Driver »

Hi Guys

I had my 94 CTi at quite a few places. When I got the car Hyperformance, dyno'd the car, acctually without me saying it has to be done, as I only asked for timing and CO to get done, car idle'd fine for a few days, but after a while it tends to do the same idling badly.

After that I went to Dynotech, and I would recommend them, as they tuned my car nicely the timing and CO, and idled good for like a year now, I would say it looks like K-jet needs a good tuning once in a while though..

Dynotech's number is 021 981 9170 (speak to Isak or his dad.)Very good service

I would like to find out if one of you guys went MP9 route, and how it is? I want to know if I should stick to K-Jet, how do you guys find the K-Jet, and what mods are done to ur CTI's as I need so mods for future.

Maybe we all can meet up at some event one day
MK1 CTi 1800

272 Estas Cam
Blue Vernier Gear
Brospeed 4-2-1 Branch
50mm Powerflow Exhaust
Simota Inbox Filter
Eibach 35mm Lowering Springs

87.7kw 155nm

Suzuki SV650 S 2003 Model
ertjieput
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Car Model: MK5 GTi

Post by ertjieput »

Howzit guys,

As far as my knowledge of K-Jet goes it is definitely the CO which is wrong and then below the TB is an idle stabilizing switch which needs to be pressed. Be warned not to adjust anything without consulting a known tuner :roll:

+1 for Dynotech!!

Good Luck.
CURRENT: GOLF V Gti, CPi & Downpipe

EX: 92 CTi Red, 1900 Conversion, 288 ***, BiG vAlVe X-Flow with ITB, 50-57mm PowerFlow, Eibach drop kit
EX: 92 Mk2 1.8 16v
MK2 16V
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by MK2 16V »

hi guys ,where can I get my k jet set properly in the jhb area
Donavan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 17 years 3 months

Post by Donavan »

contact panic-mechanic on the forum.
Audi A4 B8 2.0T - Daily
Audi A3 8L 2.0T 20V - Race Car - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=205201
EX: Mk 1 2 Door - 2L 16V Turbo
Gti k jet
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Gti k jet »

Howzit guys i have a golf 2 gti 8valve does anyone know in pta were i can go to. I must reset it because of someone who knows best and then he knows ****. Urgent please.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Reset what?.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
micky69
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Post by micky69 »

hi the co can be set on fuel distributor with co meter at about 1.5-2.0% reading with engine hot , although u first need check fuel pressure and volume, and also see if injectors are leaking ov ernight , remove injectors but leave connected, put small baby bottle under each injector, bridge fuel pump relay press sensor plate down then watch spray pattern should be about 30 deg spray pattern , release sensor plate and wipe injector nozzles and see if they leak should not leak more than 1 drop a minute, if all thats ok check warm up regulator upper and lower chamber pressures as well a holding pressure but u need fuel press gauge and lots experience the cold start injector(blue) will inject fuel while u crank engine but stops when engine runs mike mechanic retired ( mercedes)