2007 City Golf 1.4i - Recurring suspension problems

This forum is dedicated to various tests performed on Volkswagen vehicles...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Abubakr
Enlisted
Registered for: 1 month

2007 City Golf 1.4i - Recurring suspension problems

Post by Abubakr »

As a last resort, hoping to find an answer to my problem.

For the past four months, I've been experiencing recurring problems with my left-side CV joint, which has been giving in every month. Despite efforts to address the issue, I've had to replace my hub and bearing twice in the past four months as well.

I've used different parts on each occasion, and tried 2-3 different mechanics. Recently, i replaced the inner CV , a week after the outer.

The car was sent away, stripped down to check for any underlying issues and none was found. Shafts etc was all intact.

Currently, onto month 5, a week after inspection, there is an issue again causing vibration while driving, even when rolling..

Hoping to find someone who is actually able to assist me once and for all..

Tired of fixing the same thing over and over, looking for long term solution

NB: This car drives daily, and I driven decently.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years 6 months

Re: 2007 City Golf 1.4i - Recurring suspension problems

Post by VAG Fan »

Why was the CV joint replaced exactly? Was it making noises, vibrations?
Did you see the old parts? Were they really worn or broken?

Even a badly worn CV will not make a noise if the car is just rolling along (coasting).

What sort of vibration are we talking about? E.g.
... a hum at 60 - 80 km/h?
... a bumpy vibration over 100 km/h?
... a clicking or cracking sound?
... any worse or better under load (acceleration)?
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Abubakr
Enlisted

Post by Abubakr »

On 3 occasions , the boot broke, cv dried up and caused clucking noise. On the 4th occasion it just popped out and broke off.

Currently right now, while it's coasting, it's not the CV as it was recently replaced a long with the hub and bearing. Both replaced 2 weeks ago, including the inner CV.

I was told yesterday it's the hub and bearing that is making the noise currently.

Went to a roadworthy station, and they advised the lower control arm is slightly loose and this could be the underlying cause of the hub and bearing breaking along with the wear and tear on CV.

The left side wheel constantly also goes into a negative camber over time, each time I've replaced the CV and done wheel alignment then camber needs to be corrected as well.

As it stands, outer and inner CV , shaft and hub and bearing is both not broken and firmly in place.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

How long do u own the car for? Has it been in any accidents? Any rust on the chassis legs?

The most common cause of boots breaking easily is when its packed with too much of grease.
I got a habit of somewhat bleeding out the air from the boot before crimping the clamps (outter CV).

What brand CV have u been using?

Unlikely but a possibility;
Hopefully the "mechanics" did not strip the new cvs in pieces and continuously fitted the cage incorrectly - this restricts the angular movement of the shaft.

Besides the cage being fitted incorrectly into the CV hub, there's a "gearbox side" and "wheel side" of some inner cvs. If fitted the incorrect way, the ball-bearings fall off if the CV pulls out too much.
There are no markings on the CV indicating which way it must be fitted, but it's simple to tell if looking at the CV.

Weird for the camber to lose adjustment on its own if everything is tight. Does it have proper camber bolts?
Check if maybe the shock saddle is loose or damaged.

Sent from my CPH2371 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Abubakr
Enlisted

Post by Abubakr »

Have the car now just over 1 year, drove 30 000km since then.

Accident and rust free on chassis leg.
Usually it starts off with the clamps coming off( this happened twice).

Regarding the brand, I've used different brands, I'd lie if I think of the name. Purchased from masterparts, goldwagen as well as autozone.
On all 4 occasions, I've used 3 different mechanics so I am hoping it was fitted correctly.

Currently, outer CV is still intact, but the bearing is making a humming noise at the moment even though it was just replaced.

I do need to replace the shocks as well as the saddles, however at the moment everything is tight and nothing loose.

I will be checking the inner control arm next, I was told there is some play on it and this causing the CV and bearing to go prematurely. Even though the car just came back from a full suspension check (twice - different places ) and this wasn't picked up before..
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 7 months
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Noisy new bearings is generally caused by improper fitment or the hub nut was not torqued correctly (loose).

I seen cars with damaged bearing carriers, the bearing fits in too loose (if the bearing gets pressed in unevenly, it eats into the carrier). In that case, a replacement carrier is needed.

It's also possible the new outter CV does not seat properly in the hub, or jamming on the circlip maybe.

I always just prefer using goldwagen parts rather than kak from masterparts or autozone.
Most of the time these Chinese copies are not made correctly which can cause more issues than u trying to solve.

If u aren't doing the work urself, it's gonna be difficult to help diagnose what's going on.

Sent from my CPH2371 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Abubakr
Enlisted

Post by Abubakr »

Fully understand, and I can confirm nut was torqued correctly. I've taken note of all the possible things mentioned here thus far , so will definitely have a look at it and revert back here should I get a fix haha!

Feel like I should have entire front stripped and replaced completely vs replacing certain parts that "could " be an issue.
chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 8 months
Car Model: Citi ADY

Post by chucker02 »

Check if the rubber seal on the inside of the cv cup on the gearbox is not being eaten up. If it is, then the shaft is too long. You got different length cv shafts between the golfies
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle