ABF Turbo with cams?

Von 2e
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

ABF Turbo with cams?

Post by Von 2e »

Good day all. I apologize if this was brought up before but can anyone help me with some knowledge. I have a ABF Turbo full spec in proses and would like to know if it's worth getting cams done with a high rev kit?

I know cams with bad overlap interfere with boost but Van Der Linde say they install turbo spec cams?

And secondly is a high rev kit in a 16v worth it?

Thanks for any info

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: ABF Turbo with cams?

Post by PapaJo »

High rev kit if you want to rev way above 7200. Up to 7400 on std valve springs is still fine.

Find out the spec on the turbo cams. It is likely to be in the order of 262/268 duration with a bit if extra lift over the std cams and less valve.
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3

Post by Killerwatt »

Well it depends. How much power do you want to make and what turbo are you using?
Von 2e
Enlisted

Post by Von 2e »

Killerwatt wrote:Well it depends. How much power do you want to make and what turbo are you using?
All of itImage.... Just joking... Im looking for the most i can get but atleast 300 wkw+... Planning on running gt35 maybe but added NOS to spool it up quicker

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Hope you are upgrading the gearbox and rest of the drive train for the 300 wkw.
Von 2e
Enlisted

Post by Von 2e »

PapaJo wrote:Hope you are upgrading the gearbox and rest of the drive train for the 300 wkw.
Yes have the 6 speed golf 5 gti cable shift in. Not sure if the rest will last but if it breaks then theres room for improvement Image

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yes nice cams will always make a bit extra power. It should not make it too dead below if they don't have massive overlap.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member

Post by Killerwatt »

Agree. At the 300wkw mark you are nowhere near the max of a gt3582. That would probably be around the 1.2 bar mark. I would look at cams, valves and head closer to the 400wkw mark when you get closer to the limits of the turbo.
Von 2e
Enlisted

Post by Von 2e »

Thanks for the reply guys. Good to know im not way off. 400 kw is even beter and then my next question is will the 20v pistons hold the load or rather wossner pistons. I had a set of wossners in but melted all 4 on the sides. Can get a set of 20v pistons for free just a question. Image

Killerwatt
VWCSA Member

Post by Killerwatt »

The 20v pistons are far weaker than the Wossners. Your damage looks like it resulted from a bad tune rather than bad pistons
Von 2e
Enlisted

Post by Von 2e »

Killerwatt wrote:The 20v pistons are far weaker than the Wossners. Your damage looks like it resulted from a bad tune rather than bad pistons
I believe so. The headgasket blew in between all the cylinders. My guess is it through fuel over to the next cylinder back and forth and that influenced the burn and mixture? Correct me if i could be wrong

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

That is either detonation or lean and the make of piston will have no affect in that case. You will melt a forged expensive piston just as easily as a OE one. Tuning tuning tuning....
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Von 2e
Enlisted

Post by Von 2e »

panic-mechanic wrote:That is either detonation or lean and the make of piston will have no affect in that case. You will melt a forged expensive piston just as easily as a OE one. Tuning tuning tuning....
Thanks for the info... Will see when im done where to take it for tuning. As where I am there arent many people who does tuning.

Von 2e
Enlisted

Post by Von 2e »

Good day. Does anyone know how good Iasa forged pistons are?

Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Von 2e wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:06 am
panic-mechanic wrote:That is either detonation or lean and the make of piston will have no affect in that case. You will melt a forged expensive piston just as easily as a OE one. Tuning tuning tuning....
Thanks for the info... Will see when im done where to take it for tuning. As where I am there arent many people who does tuning.

Sounds like you building a monster, a rides thread would be appreciated to see the progress of the build.
Where you located so that guys can point you to where you can take it for tuning.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Von 2e wrote:Thanks for the reply guys. Good to know im not way off. 400 kw is even beter and then my next question is will the 20v pistons hold the load or rather wossner pistons. I had a set of wossners in but melted all 4 on the sides. Can get a set of 20v pistons for free just a question. Image

That motor definately ran lean.

Make sure you have enough fuel to go with that boost. Get an AFR gauge.

20V pistons might hold 300 if the rest is properly done, like Panic said any piston will melt in an poorly tuned motor.

Likely causes are that you are running out of fuel pump or injectors. Lean motors run hot, heat causes detonation, heat and detonation melt pistons.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Von 2e
Enlisted

Post by Von 2e »

missioner wrote:
Von 2e wrote:Thanks for the reply guys. Good to know im not way off. 400 kw is even beter and then my next question is will the 20v pistons hold the load or rather wossner pistons. I had a set of wossners in but melted all 4 on the sides. Can get a set of 20v pistons for free just a question. Image

20V pistons might hold 300 if the rest is properly done, like Panic said any piston will melt in an poorly tuned motor.

Likely causes are that you are running out of fuel pump or injectors. Lean motors run hot, heat causes detonation, heat and detonation melt pistons.
Thanks Missioner for the help... My tuner said the fuel pressure stayed constant on the fuel regulator while dynoing the car. And had the injectors tested before applying them. Could it be that his tuning was of?

Long storie short.
Had the car built
They had it tuned
Got car back raced 1 event
Got some issues
Fixed but smoked alot
Took in to different tuner
He sorted a few things externally
Tuned again
Raced one night
Stopped at home car sound funny
Tested compression
Saw it was way of
Decided to DIY

Could it be from first tuner or second?

missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Von 2e wrote:
missioner wrote:

Thanks Missioner for the help... My tuner said the fuel pressure stayed constant on the fuel regulator while dynoing the car. And had the injectors tested before applying them. Could it be that his tuning was of?

Long storie short.
Had the car built
They had it tuned
Got car back raced 1 event
Got some issues
Fixed but smoked alot
Took in to different tuner
He sorted a few things externally
Tuned again
Raced one night
Stopped at home car sound funny
Tested compression
Saw it was way of
Decided to DIY

Could it be from first tuner or second?

Without having a look at your car, the tune, the real time values (this requires a running car) its difficult to determine the actual causes of the failure.

If you are in Gauteng I would highly recommend going to see Panic Mechanic.

Lean turbo engines are caused by three things, insufficient fuel, bad tuning and fiddlers.

The first is because either the fuel pump cannot flow enough fuel as in it cannot keep up with the needs of the engine. This can also be caused by injectors that are too small for the application. Either way it means the boost must be turned down until more fuel can be put into the engine.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Von 2e
Enlisted

Post by Von 2e »

Image Good morning. Could someone please give me some advice on this head will it still be usable if sent to vanderlinde or should i get a new one? In between 2 and 3 a groove blown through roughly maybe 1 mm and chamber melted inImage

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

specifically what do you want vanderlinde to do with / to it? Yes can be welded /skimmed. No issue. Most engineering shops can sort that.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Von 2e
Enlisted

Post by Von 2e »

panic-mechanic wrote:specifically what do you want vanderlinde to do with / to it? Yes can be welded /skimmed. No issue. Most engineering shops can sort that.
Thanks got a quote to do the whole head turbo spec al bells and whistles but wasnt sure if the damage was to severe until today. Took it through to jhb to a friend to take it in this week just wanted to know if it was worth the trip

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

That's some serious burns you have there on the head. How long did you run it after tune?

Lucky all bells and whistles are getting done to the head as it seems to be blown through in the top of the picture to the other cylinder too or was close to blowing through.

Was the correct torque sequence and procedure used when head was torqued down, not that I think it would have helped not melting pistons.
Von 2e
Enlisted

Post by Von 2e »

PapaJo wrote:That's some serious burns you have there on the head. How long did you run it after tune?

Lucky all bells and whistles are getting done to the head as it seems to be blown through in the top of the picture to the other cylinder too or was close to blowing through.

Was the correct torque sequence and procedure used when head was torqued down, not that I think it would have helped not melting pistons.
After the last tune I got it the friday drove home. Raced 2 races the weekend got home and that was about it. From the first tune drove a lot of km and races when i saw al the smoke and breathed alot of smoke and oil. Not sure from wich tuner the problems started. Not sure of the torque as it was built for me (mistake of my life)

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Expensive mistakes. School fees. Better luck next time.
Von 2e
Enlisted

Post by Von 2e »

PapaJo wrote:Expensive mistakes. School fees. Better luck next time.
ImageYea but I probably have to learn somehow... I hope you could help me. I know theres plenty to it but on turbo size? At wich A/R hot side size would i look at for a 2 l? Would A/R. 82 be to big?