Citi - Replacing rubber fuel hose

EedubzShmeedubz
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 9 months
Membership No: 1056

Citi - Replacing rubber fuel hose

Post by EedubzShmeedubz »

For the last week I've been getting a strong petrol smell which I thought was due to scrapping the underside of my car on a grass mound. Because I thought it was coming from underneath the car, I didnt think to check under the bonnet (stupid, I know :oops:). Yesterday I finally opened the bonnet and was greeted by a fine mist of petrol spraying from the pipe between the fuel filter and the fuel rail. The pipe is hard and cracked, as is the one entering the bottom of the filter from the firewall.

My question is how easy is it to replace these 2 pipes? Will fuel pour out when I disconnect them? Can I use normal hose clamps, as the factor clamps are some sort of "special tool required" jobs.
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Membership No: 1041

Re: Citi - Replacing rubber fuel hose

Post by UDC »

only abit of fuel will come out, just a few drops.
yes its safe used normal clamps for the new pipes, just make sure you get proper fuel hose pipes though.
Fastandfurious
Major
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Ranger
Membership No: 458

Post by Fastandfurious »

EedubzShmeedubz wrote:For the last week I've been getting a strong petrol smell which I thought was due to scrapping the underside of my car on a grass mound. Because I thought it was coming from underneath the car, I didnt think to check under the bonnet (stupid, I know :oops:). Yesterday I finally opened the bonnet and was greeted by a fine mist of petrol spraying from the pipe between the fuel filter and the fuel rail. The pipe is hard and cracked, as is the one entering the bottom of the filter from the firewall.

My question is how easy is it to replace these 2 pipes? Will fuel pour out when I disconnect them? Can I use normal hose clamps, as the factor clamps are some sort of "special tool required" jobs.
You will get a bit of spray as the fuel system will be under a bit of pressure, but it wont be for very long. I think you can buy the pre-sized hoses from the agents ($$$), or buy some line an cut it yourself. Normal clamps will be fine, those oem ones seem to hold nicely though in comparison. No idea what tool you need to operate them though.

At least you caught the leak in time before it went up in flames.
EedubzShmeedubz
Colonel

Fastandfurious wrote:At least you caught the leak in time before it went up in flames.
:eek:

My engine bay is also pretty filthy now!
EedubzShmeedubz
Colonel

Ok phoned Goldwagen, they have 6mm and 8mm piping. What would I need for a 1.4i Citi?
Fastandfurious
Major
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Ranger
Membership No: 458

Post by Fastandfurious »

EedubzShmeedubz wrote:Ok phoned Goldwagen, they have 6mm and 8mm piping. What would I need for a 1.4i Citi?
Damm I'm not sure, you might want to pull it off and measure to be sure. I'd think 8mm but can't be sure. The carb motors probably use the 6mm one.
sjs
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi & Megane RS 275 Final
Membership No: 1315

Post by sjs »

EedubzShmeedubz wrote:Ok phoned Goldwagen, they have 6mm and 8mm piping. What would I need for a 1.4i Citi?
Don't buy theirs. The one Goldwagen salesman at Silverton GW actually warned me that their "high pressure fuel line" wasn't proper high pressure fuel hose and recommended the hydraulics shop down the road. Hose clamps are the way to go, the OEM clamps are crap and lose tension over time.
My play: my 2l ABF + throttles Citi toy and Megane RS 275 Finale
EedubzShmeedubz
Colonel

Ok, replaced the pipe from filter to rail. Used the original spring clamp to fasten the hose to the fuel rail, but it leaked abit so replaced it with a screw type hose clamp. Managed to get sprayed in the eye with petrol while undoing the hose to fit the new clamp :eek: That really sucked!

All seems ok for now, going to replace the other 2 hoses on the weekend though, just needed to replace the leaking hose tonight so I could get to work for the rest of the week.
Smok3X
Captain
Registered for: 15 years 1 month
Car Make: SEAT
Car Model: LEON CUPRA 2.0 TFSi K04
Membership No: 3083

Post by Smok3X »

Yip this is a common problem on the MP9 Citi's. I went through 3 sets of hoses in about 6 months... And each time, they BURST while driving on the freeway!!! I was so frustrated, went looking for Steel braided hoses, but couldnt find them. I am using Goodyear cotton braided hoses now, have lasted about 4 months without problems, but just to be safe, I have DOUBLE hose clamps at every connection point and an extra 1 metre of fuel hose in my cubby!
Current:
Leon CUPRA - 2.0TFSi K04--> Rides Thread
169WKW@Dark Artz - Stock
229WKW@Dark Artz - RevO 2+

Ex:
Ibiza CUPRA - 1.8 20V - Hybrid Turbo-->Rides Thread
Revo:182KW and 399NM@Experience
ABF Citi Golf - 2.0L 16V--->Rides Thread
FRC - 124KW and 198NM@Auto Trix
1/4 Mile:14.61s
1ST Place - 4AF2 Margate 31st Oct 2010

ImageImageImage
Modded
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 5 months
Car Model: CTi 2.1
Membership No: missing

Post by Modded »

i got the Goodyear ones too... but since last year already...
Tomaszgp
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Post by Tomaszgp »

Smok3X wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:27 pm Yip this is a common problem on the MP9 Citi's. I went through 3 sets of hoses in about 6 months... And each time, they BURST while driving on the freeway!!! I was so frustrated, went looking for Steel braided hoses, but couldnt find them. I am using Goodyear cotton braided hoses now, have lasted about 4 months without problems, but just to be safe, I have DOUBLE hose clamps at every connection point and an extra 1 metre of fuel hose in my cubby!
Do you still have this car now? How long did those hoses last? Just got a citi rox, and looking to replace the rubber too. Strong smell of fuel, each time i jump out, but nothing leaking on the floor after stopping.
Tomaszgp
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Post by Tomaszgp »

Smok3X wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:27 pm Yip this is a common problem on the MP9 Citi's. I went through 3 sets of hoses in about 6 months... And each time, they BURST while driving on the freeway!!! I was so frustrated, went looking for Steel braided hoses, but couldnt find them. I am using Goodyear cotton braided hoses now, have lasted about 4 months without problems, but just to be safe, I have DOUBLE hose clamps at every connection point and an extra 1 metre of fuel hose in my cubby!
Do you still have this car now? How long did those hoses last? Just got a citi rox, and looking to replace the rubber too. Strong smell of fuel, each time i jump out, but nothing leaking on the floor after stopping.
Gts88
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 3 months
Car Model: Citi

Post by Gts88 »

Maybe just a Chapie wrapper piece of info.... The proper pipe has a SAE 30R9 class. It is good for all these funny unleaded additives, high heat and 200psi (even though the std pump is onl 4 Bar/60 odd psi), working pressure... (Goodyear does it also) I found that its the EPDM 10 bar cotton reinforced hoses that stuffs me arround... goes hard in no time also and then the cracking and leaking starts......

Im doing an 2.0l in my 1.4i as we speak and im planning to swap out all the crappy lines..... Hope the standard pump is OK though....
GEE 4 GTI
Enlisted
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by GEE 4 GTI »