Throttle Bodies + Cross flow - HELP

Quickie
Cadet
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Quickie »

Hey Guys
I want to put throttle bodies on my 2litre 8valve long block next year but I want a crosflow head so that I can put the T.B in front.It saves me from adjusting the firewall.Now the question is can you get a crossflow that can go on my engine?And where from?How much?
Seat Cupra-1.9TDI
ex-Golf 2 GTI 16V ABF
Mk1-fan
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Mk1-fan »

Maybe Heinz (A3VWChallenge) can help you. He used to race crossflow 2.0 head from a MK4 in his Golf in Thundercars.
Quickie
Cadet

Post by Quickie »

Okay I managed to find a cross-flow head for R1500
.Is this a good price? :)
Seat Cupra-1.9TDI
ex-Golf 2 GTI 16V ABF
Mk1-fan
Lieutenant-General

Post by Mk1-fan »

Quickie wrote:Okay I managed to find a cross-flow head for R1500
Dunno what they are going for atm, but that seems very good to me. :glare:
GTiDon
Brigadier
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 1161

Post by GTiDon »

Quickie wrote:Okay I managed to find a cross-flow head for R1500
Seems very reasonable if the head is still good. Considering they not very old yet and I dont even want to know agent price on it.
Quickie
Cadet

Post by Quickie »

I was going to get it now and if it doesnt look 100% then I can recon it but like u said it should be newish
Seat Cupra-1.9TDI
ex-Golf 2 GTI 16V ABF
GTiDon
Brigadier

Post by GTiDon »

Is the cam belt for th 8 valve X Flow the same setup as the 20V ??

I am asking because I had to get different crank pulley and different int-shaft + pulley to get it all to match.

I just dont yet know what to do about the cam tensioner
Mk1-fan
Lieutenant-General

Post by Mk1-fan »

All three are different.
GTiDon
Brigadier

Post by GTiDon »

Mk1-fan wrote:

All three are different.
Maybe u can give me some advice in a new post
A3VWCHALLENGE
Cadet
Registered for: 21 years 7 months

Post by A3VWCHALLENGE »

Gtidon which pulley are you using on your crank & intermidiate shaft?

Quickie,the head will bolt straight on (only have to enlarge no 2 headbolt hole).You will have to change you current alternator setup to a Mk3 type non aircon (so you have to change the crank pulley & waterpump pulley).I ran wasted spark so I had no problem with the distributor.I presume you will run Managment on Your car (I used MIC Perfect Power awsome system with no crap).

If you are interested my friend is selling his complete motor (2l crossflow with flowed head and M3 throttle bodies and Gotech pro managment)You could just slot his motor straight into your car.I think he wants R15000 for everything.
Quickie
Cadet

Post by Quickie »

If I had the money I would I want to do piece by piece.I am running PRS2 management system and I want to get the head now then next year feb buy the throtlle bodies>I have a Golf 3 gti engine in my car but I kept the old alternator setup.So like u said I will have to get the pulley to put the Golf 3 setup back on the engine.How much more power did ur friend get from the T.B? :)
Seat Cupra-1.9TDI
ex-Golf 2 GTI 16V ABF
A3VWCHALLENGE
Cadet
Registered for: 21 years 7 months

Post by A3VWCHALLENGE »

I dont know what his made but I got 149HP at 7100rpm on the front wheels on a Dastek Dyno.
GTiDon
Brigadier

Post by GTiDon »

A3VWCHALLENGE wrote:Gtidon which pulley are you using on your crank & intermidiate shaft?
16V crank Pulley, and 16V inshaft pulley (Small one)
Oza
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Re: Throttle Bodies + Cross flow - HELP

Post by Oza »

Hi guys I'm new here.I am busy with a 2L 8v crossflow motor in a caddy.it has the blacktop throttles wit mp9 fuel rail nd injectors,vernier nd a estas 288° cam.had it on the dyno nd the motor is just a donkey.it just doesn't produce power past 5000 rpm.does anybody have any ideas as to Wat could cause it to b so dead? The tuner couldn't work out y it was so dead.please assist me.thanks
Oza
Enlisted

Post by Oza »

Oh nd it has a distributor.the best way I can describe the way it pulls is if I'm in 1st gear at about 1500rpm nd I floor it,it will break traction only briefly nd it will only PULL to about 4500-5000 rpm then it labors after that rpm nd doesn't pull to limiter.it just drags to 6000rpm.I would expect it to have good top rpm power considering it has a 288° cam nd throttles.please help me understand y it's so weak
Dub rox
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Citi sport 1.4i

Post by Dub rox »

Do you have ram tubes on the itb's?
Intake runner length plays a big role in the power delivery range of any engine.

Sent from my VFD320 using Tapatalk

OCD is not a disability is the ability to get it perfect
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Oza wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:17 am Oh nd it has a distributor.the best way I can describe the way it pulls is if I'm in 1st gear at about 1500rpm nd I floor it,it will break traction only briefly nd it will only PULL to about 4500-5000 rpm then it labors after that rpm nd doesn't pull to limiter.it just drags to 6000rpm.I would expect it to have good top rpm power considering it has a 288° cam nd throttles.please help me understand y it's so weak
Did you check that timing marks are all on the right marks, size injectors used have sufficient fuel flow capacity and not reaching 100% duty cycle, fuel pressure correctly set, timing values on nap all set and no pinging on motor
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Another thing.....what make 288 cam is fitted and any headwork done?
Oza
Enlisted

Post by Oza »

Hi thanks for replying...yes there is ram tubes fitted nd yes all the timing nd fuel pressure was correct,it is a estas 288° cam and as far as I can tell it has an mp9 fuel rail wit those injectors nd i am not sure how much head wprk has been done here.the car didn't ping at all but it kinda feels like the engine runs out of steam completely at about 5000rpm which doesn't make sense seeing it has a 288 ...
Oza
Enlisted

Post by Oza »

I am redoing the fuel system cause the fuel lines ruptured nd caused the entire engine bay to burn out...so now I have removed itb's,nd all the damaged components nd in the process of rewiring the management.but in this rebuild I want to do Wat I must to get this motor to pull like it should pull.I have no idea Wat amount of lift this cam has nd the ram tubes r about 70mm long.I do recall wen the car was on the dyno,they didn't do anything to the vernier to set cam timing cause they didn't know Wat duration the cam was.but I believe wit a 288 the enine sound have healthy upper rpm power nd I should feel the car cone onto cam around 3000 but ya it dies lol
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

Oza wrote:I am redoing the fuel system cause the fuel lines ruptured nd caused the entire engine bay to burn out...so now I have removed itb's,nd all the damaged components nd in the process of rewiring the management.but in this rebuild I want to do Wat I must to get this motor to pull like it should pull.I have no idea Wat amount of lift this cam has nd the ram tubes r about 70mm long.I do recall wen the car was on the dyno,they didn't do anything to the vernier to set cam timing cause they didn't know Wat duration the cam was.but I believe wit a 288 the enine sound have healthy upper rpm power nd I should feel the car cone onto cam around 3000 but ya it dies lol
Just remember that the cam cannot achieve optimum and expected performance without headwork and propper tuning. Everything has to be in sync and tuned accordingly.

Sort out the harness first and then you will have to check everything. Injectors, head, fuel lines, fuel rail,etc... All could have been damaged due to fire.

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Vernier pulley or stad pulley have the same setup on timing marks on the cam. Vernier is only used to compensate for when the head was skimmed and timing marks does not align.

Playing around with advance or retard on the degree pulley will affect performance as it will shift the torque band and also affect the valve opening and closing in relation to where the piston would be from TDC. Suggest you repair all and then ensure all timing marks are exactly set to TDC and then work from there.
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

+1

Oza
Enlisted

Post by Oza »

Yes I plan to fix everything and take it from there. I have inspected the engine nd found that the head has been ported,the valve guides have been shaved so the motor has definitely had work done. So I've also found that the vernier is set to zero nd the injectors seem like mp9 injectors. I know that u guys have a recipe for most VW motors for watever power figure u want lol.so maybe u guys can give me ur take on the sort of power this engine should make concidering it is a 2little 8v nd it has a 288,head work,45mm throttles...
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Goung to 40mm throttles might give you more grunt as the airspeed will increase.