Skilpaddop
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 9 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: 1992 500 SEL 2.8 V6 automatic

VWSA VIN Plate Option Codes

Post by Skilpaddop »

Hi VW Guys and Girls.

I am looking for more information about the Trim and Option Codes on older VW and Audi models that was assembled at the Uitenhage factory. I own a 1992 Audi 500 SEL 2.8 V6 automatic, it looks like the trim is in two codes 202 and 8079. Then the options is 88AC and 8573.

My car has got black leather interior, Canadian Elm Wood Trim, Automatic Air Conditioner, Electric Windows, Central Locking, Factory fitted alarm with remote.

I know options and extras are revered to PR Codes, but it looks like cars from Uitenhage had 4 digits.

If anyone can shed some light or have more insight it will be appreciated.
theunis.visser
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Mk5 Golf GTI

Re: VWSA VIN Plate Option Codes

Post by theunis.visser »

This is a bit of a nightmare as I found out with my son's 1996 golf ad well as it seems utenhage's codes were not the same as the rest of the world.. good luck.

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

Skilpaddop
Enlisted

Post by Skilpaddop »

Hi, I have seen that, all over the world, it is a 3 digit system, VWSA in the 1980's to 2000' (more or less) used mainly 4 digit codes, some all numbers, some alphanumeric, then there is two and three digit codes.

Hopefully, someone out there will be able to assist. I have asked a few 500 model owners to assist me with the VIN plate and then I compare cars to see what is what. I have made some progress.
HASSEN
Cadet
Registered for: 21 years 7 months

Post by HASSEN »

Hi
Do you just require historical info? Actual trim items will most likely not be available anymore?
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Try emailing VW. I emailed them when I wanted to get the import Mk5 R32 numbers and they actually sent me a breakdown of the import years and different colour options. I used support@vwconnect.co.za, these were the details on their comms:
Tel: 0860 434 737
Email: support@vwconnect.co.za
Fax: +27 41 394 5170
Skilpaddop
Enlisted

Post by Skilpaddop »

Hi Hassen

I want to know the meaning of the codes under trim and options.

I have the following codes: 202, 8079, 88AC & 8573.

88AC is the automatic AC, 3 of the four cars have it. One car has got the manual AC and the code is 88AB

Code 8573 is on 3 of the 4 500 models VIN, but I saw it on two VIN plates of VW microbusses.

I have ask other 500 owners and they have send me there VIN plates for comparison and descriptions of their cars. So far I have 4 cars data, still collecting more.

Any leads on these codes will be welcome.
Skilpaddop
Enlisted

Post by Skilpaddop »

Howie-WP wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:37 pm Try emailing VW. I emailed them when I wanted to get the import Mk5 R32 numbers and they actually sent me a breakdown of the import years and different colour options. I used support@vwconnect.co.za, these were the details on their comms:
Tel: 0860 434 737
Email: support@vwconnect.co.za
Fax: +27 41 394 5170
Hi Howie, thank you for the info. I did e-mail the AutoPavillion Museum earlier today, the did send my e-mail to a John Lemon and asked him to assist me.

On further investigation, Mr. Lemon is a VW historian of note.

I am looking forward to his reply.

But I will e-mail vw connect.
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Skilpaddop wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:03 pm
On further investigation, Mr. Lemon is a VW historian of note.
Yes he is! Amazing "resource" ...... goodluck, I am sure with perseverance you will get the info you want.