2008 1.4i polo 9n heavy on petrol

Neeven
Cadet
Registered for: 2 years 6 months

Re: 2008 1.4i polo 9n heavy on petrol

Post by Neeven »

This is pretty much what happens when the car reaches 90°C. So I took the car for a drive now to see if the guage will go up and down, however once it reached the 90 degrees mark it slowly went back down to quarter mark and it stayed there for as long as I drove on the highway and only when I came to a complete stop, it went back to the half way mark.

Is this normal for a car to do? ImageImage

Sent from my MAR-LX2 using Tapatalk

n.gov3
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by n.gov3 »

Neeven wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:06 pm
n.gov3 wrote:
Neeven wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:02 am Okay then yes you are correct, my car doesn't have a MFA, I went to have a look now but it has no other options there.

With regards to the fuel consumption it could be you're correct about the fuel consumption then as I didn't take into consideration how much time I spend in traffic and the vehicle idling aswelll.

I was under the impression that the needle needs to stay on 90°C once it's warmed but if it's supposed to drop abit whilst on the highway then it could be that it's reading correctly as you pointed out because it never dropped to 0°C before.

It's a good thing you had explained this before I got another thermostat when there's no need replacing it

I suspect that you have a dodgy thermostat..... Gauge should stay at 90 deg on the cluster even if there's small deviations in actual water temp. Vw designed it that way.

On fuel consumption, I normally fill up to the auto stop and then check how many km I would get when I then fill to the auto stop, again. Most accurate that way
Meaning once it's warmed, it should stay on the 90°C mark even when driving on the highway?

Yes
n.gov3
Cadet

Post by n.gov3 »

Neeven wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:08 pm This weekend I took a 45km trip, whilst on the way the needle would go to 90° and then to the quarter mark and back. Is that normal or was it supposed to stay in the middle the whole trip?

Should stay at 90.....especially if you on the highway and it's up to temp
Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

Okay so I definitely have a problem then as I took a drive now and it remained on the quarter way throughout

n.gov3
Cadet

Post by n.gov3 »

Neeven wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:05 pm This is pretty much what happens when the car reaches 90°C. So I took the car for a drive now to see if the guage will go up and down, however once it reached the 90 degrees mark it slowly went back down to quarter mark and it stayed there for as long as I drove on the highway and only when I came to a complete stop, it went back to the half way mark.

Is this normal for a car to do? ImageImage

My buddy's car did the same thing.... Thermostat replacement sorted it out. Check pricing at a Mccarthy vw, I think they were discounting thermostats recently.
EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2014 Jetta 6 TDi DSG.
Membership No: 712

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

Yeah, this is looking more like an iffy thermostat now. I went home for lunch today and was digging through my Polo photos and in my instance the temp needle was swinging all the way to 0'C and then going back to 90'C.

As the photos below:

That's why we changed the thermostat and housing on my car.

I notice the airbag light is on in your photo's. Have you disabled the passenger side bag at all?
2014 - VW Jetta 6 - 1.6 TDi DSG
2000 - VW Golf 3.5 Cabrio - 2.0
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503
MK1 Build Register: https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=192835
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/projectkirschwasser/

Racing is meant for the RACE track - deal with it...
Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

Okay do you think it's a good idea to get the thermostat replaced as this is the issue? I think if it's the cause for the fuel consumption I'd be losing out alot more overtime on petrol where as I could get it changed.

The airbag light is on because whilst the key was on, I was taking out the fuses to see if any was blown as my headlight wasn't working but I got that sorted.

Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

Also I phoned goldwagen and Volkswagen for a quote

VOLKSWAGEN: R1832 complete unit with housing

GOLDWAGEN: R902 for thermostat and housing including 2 litres original VW antifreeze

So that's the price different between the 2

EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

Yeah so I've been suspecting the Thermostat for a while, you already eliminated the engine coolant temp sensor and radiator fan switch from the equation. Next logical thing would be the Thermostat.
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503

n.gov3
Cadet

Post by n.gov3 »

Neeven wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:11 pm Okay do you think it's a good idea to get the thermostat replaced as this is the issue? I think if it's the cause for the fuel consumption I'd be losing out alot more overtime on petrol where as I could get it changed.

The airbag light is on because whilst the key was on, I was taking out the fuses to see if any was blown as my headlight wasn't working but I got that sorted.

Defintely a good idea to change it sooner than later.
Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

EX-DOHCTOR wrote:Yeah so I've been suspecting the Thermostat for a while, you already eliminated the engine coolant temp sensor and radiator fan switch from the equation. Next logical thing would be the Thermostat.
I know you mentioned it's a long time since you had changed the thermostat on the polo you had, by any chance do you remember if it had made any difference on the fuel economy on your car after you've had it changed?

Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

I will look towards sorting this out as soon as I can, I think I will get the thermostat from VW. Perhaps it will be by next month though but I will give results once it's changed

EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

Neeven wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:28 pm I know you mentioned it's a long time since you had changed the thermostat on the polo you had, by any chance do you remember if it had made any difference on the fuel economy on your car after you've had it changed?

So my fuel economy wasn't an issue when I had the swinging needle issue. I remember driving home from work which was in Edenvale at the time and noticed the needle swinging around on my drive home on the highway.

But I think I booked the car in the same week and got it sorted so its possible I didn't have the issue long enough to really notice.

Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

Okay that makes sense, i will update you as soon as I get a new thermostat fitted so we'll know if we've finally sorted the problem out

VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

If Goldwagen sells a Behr thermostat, like they used to, then there is really no reason to spend more than double at VW. Behr is OEM quality.

I would also happily take a thermostat from Wahler or Gates. [Edit: also Mahle, Meyle, Valeo.]
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

Okay so I've called them now, they said that they don't sell Behr anymore, however he did mention they're selling Vico (if I'm not mistaken)

Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

Hi guys, so an update on the situation, I have purchased the thermostat today and I will be installing it this weekend. I need abit of clarification on something though as different people are giving different opinions now.

When driving on the freeway is the heat Guage supposed to stay on the half way throughout the whole time? Or is it supposed to go down as there would be more airflow coming in which will cool the radiotor causing the guage to drop?

Also, would the fan coming on at times cause the guage to drop abit?

In my circumstance, the heat Guage is remaining on the middle mark in city driving and fluctuates when on the freeway, which I'm thinking could be because of there being greater airflow coming in

EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

As I recall it should generally remain on the 90'C mark when the car is at operating temperature. Those Polo's generally got there quite quickly as I remember.

I think if you've already spent the money on the thermostat, swap it out. You've already changed the rest of the sensors in the cooling system.

You're probably going to lose coolant during the change so get some G12 coolant.

VW flushed and replaced my coolant when they changed mine.

Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

Okay so in most cases it remains at 90°C as that is the operating temperature? Or does vehicles usually experience a drop on the heat Guage whilst driving on the freeway?

The reason I'm asking is just to make sure that there's actually a problem with mine or if it's operating as it normally would while driving on the freeway.

And yes I'm going to goldwagen to get coolant, I will flush the radiator when changing the thermomstat also, so the main things in the cooling system will be new.

VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

There should be no movement of the gauge if you head out on to the highway. If there is more air coming through the radiator, this means the coolant stream that returns from the radiator to the engine is colder. The thermostat reacts automatically by closing off most of that return stream in the main cooling circuit, and keeps only the small circuit open. As soon as the small circuit gets hot enough, the thermostat expands again, which opens the large circuit, allowing a bit more of the cold water from the radiator in.

So, a temperature gauge that drops every time you drive at higher cruising speeds, is a sure-fire sign of a failing/failed thermostat. [Edit: because the thermostat is allowing TOO MUCH of that cold water in.]

On the older cars, which didn't have the stabilised gauge, when driving in slow traffic, the needle would creep to the hot side slightly, until the fan kicks in, then drop again slightly. But with the newer, stabilised displays, this is no longer visible.

Either way, under normal cruising conditions, say anything more than 50 km/h, the needle should be rock solid, regardless of how fast you drive.
Last edited by VAG Fan on Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
n.gov3
Cadet

Post by n.gov3 »

Neeven wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:44 am Okay so in most cases it remains at 90°C as that is the operating temperature? Or does vehicles usually experience a drop on the heat Guage whilst driving on the freeway?

The reason I'm asking is just to make sure that there's actually a problem with mine or if it's operating as it normally would while driving on the freeway.

And yes I'm going to goldwagen to get coolant, I will flush the radiator when changing the thermomstat also, so the main things in the cooling system will be new.

Your thermostat is faulty...... Aim of the thermostat is to maintain a certain temp regardless of driving conditions. That temp is the temp at which the engine operates most efficiently.

My current Jetta and polo stay at 90 all the time. Also agree with vag fan on visible variations off the temp gauge on older cars
EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

Hows the consumption been since the engine coolant temp was changed?

Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

VAG Fan wrote:There should be no movement of the gauge if you head out on to the highway. If there is more air coming through the radiator, this means the coolant stream that returns from the radiator to the engine is colder. The thermostat reacts automatically by closing off most of that return stream in the main cooling circuit, and keeps only the small circuit open. As soon as the small circuit gets hot enough, the thermostat expands again, which opens the large circuit, allowing a bit more of the cold water from the radiator in.

So, a temperature gauge that drops every time you drive at higher cruising speeds, is a sure-fire sign of a failing/failed thermostat. [Edit: because the thermostat is allowing TOO MUCH of that cold water in.]

On the older cars, which didn't have the stabilised gauge, when driving in slow traffic, the needle would creep to the hot side slightly, until the fan kicks in, then drop again slightly. But with the newer, stabilised displays, this is no longer visible.

Either way, under normal cruising conditions, say anything more than 50 km/h, the needle should be rock solid, regardless of how fast you drive.
Okay I understand, it makes sense when you explain it in that way.

So it's all good, I have the thermostat and I've bought the coolant today aswell, so by this weekend I will be sorting out this issue and I will keep you posted regarding how the vehicle is performing with the new thermostat.

Thank you for clarifying that for me.

Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

n.gov3 wrote:
Neeven wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:44 am Okay so in most cases it remains at 90°C as that is the operating temperature? Or does vehicles usually experience a drop on the heat Guage whilst driving on the freeway?

Your thermostat is faulty...... Aim of the thermostat is to maintain a certain temp regardless of driving conditions. That temp is the temp at which the engine operates most efficiently.

My current Jetta and polo stay at 90 all the time. Also agree with vag fan on visible variations off the temp gauge on older cars
Okay thank you, I don't have any doubt with regards to changing the thermomstat anymore, I will get it sorted out soon.

Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

EX-DOHCTOR wrote:Hows the consumption been since the engine coolant temp was changed?
I feel the car is slightly heavier on petrol, I've drove 22kms last night and the petrol guage moved 2 sticks down Image