Registered for: 5 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk1 Velociti

CLUTCH & BATTERY ISSUES

Post by Veez vdubz »

Hi All

trust you all are well.

car: '07 golf 1 Velociti 1.4i

i have been having an issue with my clutch riding, i changed my clutch cable just over 2 month ago and it has been riding the clutch for a month now, driving normally the car drives okay until 3rd gear (the riding isnt bad but is still there for 1st & 2nd) but if i give gas to pick up speed faster it starts to ride the clutch to the point that the car just revs up and doesn't gain speed, going uphill the car struggles so i have to downshift, if i am at standstill on a very steep incline the car doesn't move at all and just rides the clutch.

could it be the pressure plate that is gone? OR the clutch cable is stretched? - the clutch cable is self adjustable.

please help, i have no idea what is wrong with the car and don't want to end up breaking the gearbox.

i also have been having battery issues recently, battery dies over night or if left for a few hours without driving, i have tested the alternator and its working fine, i have also switched everything off in the car at night(cabin light, deck, sound, etc.) and the battery still dies over night.

i am currently taking the terminal out when i arrive at work and at night when i have reached home.

thank you in advance.

regards
Greenz
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 2 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Focus ST

Re: CLUTCH & BATTERY ISSUES

Post by Greenz »

Veez vdubz wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:03 pm Hi All

trust you all are well.

car: '07 golf 1 Velociti 1.4i

i have been having an issue with my clutch riding, i changed my clutch cable just over 2 month ago and it has been riding the clutch for a month now, driving normally the car drives okay until 3rd gear (the riding isnt bad but is still there for 1st & 2nd) but if i give gas to pick up speed faster it starts to ride the clutch to the point that the car just revs up and doesn't gain speed, going uphill the car struggles so i have to downshift, if i am at standstill on a very steep incline the car doesn't move at all and just rides the clutch.

could it be the pressure plate that is gone? OR the clutch cable is stretched? - the clutch cable is self adjustable.

please help, i have no idea what is wrong with the car and don't want to end up breaking the gearbox.

i also have been having battery issues recently, battery dies over night or if left for a few hours without driving, i have tested the alternator and its working fine, i have also switched everything off in the car at night(cabin light, deck, sound, etc.) and the battery still dies over night.

i am currently taking the terminal out when i arrive at work and at night when i have reached home.

thank you in advance.

regards
How old is the battery?
2010 ST225 - 238kw 439nm
Veez vdubz
Enlisted

Post by Veez vdubz »

the battery is 6 years old going on 7, i did try out a new bigger battery and after a week and a half it started doing the same thing, i have charged the old battery for 1 day and it works fine for a few days until it starts dying again
marzbars
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Model: 1988 Corrado 16V
Membership No: 1316

Post by marzbars »

Yeah 6 years on a battery is amazing, most new batteries will give you a 12months warrantee or 24months at almost double the cost.
Get a new battery and you should be good, most batteries die when it is the winter is here in full swing and it gets colder outside.

As for the clutch issue, that sounds more like a worn out clutch or a release bearing issue than a clutch cable issue
marzbars
VWCSA Member

Post by marzbars »

Veez vdubz wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:50 pm the battery is 6 years old going on 7, i did try out a new bigger battery and after a week and a half it started doing the same thing, i have charged the old battery for 1 day and it works fine for a few days until it starts dying again
Do you have a tracking device? These are also known to cause battery drain, especially if there is more than one fitted by previous owner/insurer
Veez vdubz
Enlisted

Post by Veez vdubz »

marzbars wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:08 pm Yeah 6 years on a battery is amazing, most new batteries will give you a 12months warrantee or 24months at almost double the cost.
Get a new battery and you should be good, most batteries die when it is the winter is here in full swing and it gets colder outside.

As for the clutch issue, that sounds more like a worn out clutch or a release bearing issue than a clutch cable issue
i did try a new battery and it did the very same thing, current battery is a 628, i tried a brand new 652 battery and it did the same thing after 11 days.

i thought the weather might be the cause however it does the same thing when im leaving work
Last edited by Veez vdubz on Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veez vdubz
Enlisted

Post by Veez vdubz »

Do you have a tracking device? These are also known to cause battery drain, especially if there is more than one fitted by previous owner/insurer
[/quote]

i do have a tracker but according to what they say it has a built in battery and does not operate with the car's battery.

when i purchased the car it had an alarm linked up to the ignition(my guess was it was a tracker with an ignition kill function) but this has not been working for 2 years now.
vee4410
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 5 months
Car Model: Polo 9n3 1.9 TDI, 9n 1.6

Post by vee4410 »

Do a simple parasitic draw test, google is your friend. As for your clutch, was it ever changed ?
Current Rides:
2007 Polo 9n3 1.9 TDI
2004 Polo 9n 1.6
2015 MB w205 C180
JCTPUBLISHERS
Cadet
Registered for: 3 years 8 months

Post by JCTPUBLISHERS »

6 years for a battery is quite good. You can have your old battery tested at most spare shop. Midas.
JCTPUBLISHERS
Cadet
Registered for: 3 years 8 months

Post by JCTPUBLISHERS »

Perhaps connected an ammeter in series and see if the battery is still drawing current after switching off. Does it got a boot light perhaps the switch is faulty and remains on all the time and draining the battery.
Veez vdubz
Enlisted

Post by Veez vdubz »

vee4410 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:24 pm Do a simple parasitic draw test, google is your friend. As for your clutch, was it ever changed ?
my clutch was never changed, do i need any special tools to do testing?
Veez vdubz
Enlisted

Post by Veez vdubz »

JCTPUBLISHERS wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:48 pm Perhaps connected an ammeter in series and see if the battery is still drawing current after switching off. Does it got a boot light perhaps the switch is faulty and remains on all the time and draining the battery.
will check for a boot light, i have never checked before
marzbars
VWCSA Member

Post by marzbars »

Veez vdubz wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:22 am
vee4410 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:24 pm Do a simple parasitic draw test, google is your friend. As for your clutch, was it ever changed ?
The parasitic draw test refers to your battery draining and not the clutch.
You will need a multimeter for that.

As for the clutch, it's probably time to change it.
Citigolf clutch replacement is not an expensive task if you do it yourself, labour intense but the parts are very affordable.
Veez vdubz
Enlisted

Post by Veez vdubz »

marzbars wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:53 am
Veez vdubz wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:22 am
The parasitic draw test refers to your battery draining and not the clutch.
You will need a multimeter for that.

As for the clutch, it's probably time to change it.
Citigolf clutch replacement is not an expensive task if you do it yourself, labour intense but the parts are very affordable.
noted.

thank you all for your help and assistance :)

much appreciated

stay safe and keep well.
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Post by Belix »

also - tracker batteries die after a few years and then they start draining the main battery