Hello! Junior seeking guidance

pjp
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 2 months

Hello! Junior seeking guidance

Post by pjp »

Hello everyone!

I posted this in the "introduce yourself" section, but was encouraged to post it here instead.

I am an absolute newbie - to both the forum and to VWs/Audis in general. I've read through a number of threads here and love the sense of community you have here.

I was hoping you guys could help me. I am a young guy who wants to get into cars. I don't know much but am eager to learn. I have just started a new job in JHB and am considering buying a new car. I have been looking around and am eyeing an Audi TT mk2 (coupe, manual). My thinking is that for the same price I can either get a more modern, lower-end car (Hyundai, etc.) or go for an older car in a higher bracket like the TT.

I have a few questions regarding this beauty and was hoping you might be able to shed some light on the subject. First, I was wondering whether this will be a good daily driver? I need a reliable car for my work. Secondly, do you think this is a wise purchase, or should I be more conservative and go for a modern, lower-end vehicle? Thirdly, what are the maintenance costs on a car like this and is it relatively fuel efficient? Lastly, is there any major difference between older mk2 models (2007ish) and the newer ones (2013ish)? Obviously there will be a difference in price, but would it be penny wise and pound foolish to buy an older model that's cheaper? I am aiming for the region of R150k.

I guess my main concern is whether this would be an unwise and impractical car for me at this stage, or whether it would be an exciting, viable one.

I would appreciate any help or guidance you can offer!

Cheers!
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Re: Hello! Junior seeking guidance

Post by amstel18 »

Hi there,

My 2c, when i started my first job, I bought myself a Cupra, which was an awesome car, but it was not actually the correct choice as it needed maintenance being an older performance model. Even though it was only 6 years old when I bought it, servicing and the odd boost pipe here and there, I realised I made a mistake in overextending myself at that point in time. Fortunately for me things worked out okay in the end

You mention a budget of R150k. Are you financing or do you have this saved up? Reason I ask is that you should always factor in hidden expenses, like servicing costs, maintenance items, insurance, fuel, etc..

Good rule of thumb is you should be able to afford double your monthly payment in order to truly afford the vehicle you intend on buying.

Don't know your position financially and other commitments you have, but sometimes our excitement of a new car throws logic out the window.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

pjp wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:37 am Hello everyone!

I posted this in the "introduce yourself" section, but was encouraged to post it here instead.

I am an absolute newbie - to both the forum and to VWs/Audis in general. I've read through a number of threads here and love the sense of community you have here.

I was hoping you guys could help me. I am a young guy who wants to get into cars. I don't know much but am eager to learn. I have just started a new job in JHB and am considering buying a new car. I have been looking around and am eyeing an Audi TT mk2 (coupe, manual). My thinking is that for the same price I can either get a more modern, lower-end car (Hyundai, etc.) or go for an older car in a higher bracket like the TT.

I have a few questions regarding this beauty and was hoping you might be able to shed some light on the subject. First, I was wondering whether this will be a good daily driver? I need a reliable car for my work. Secondly, do you think this is a wise purchase, or should I be more conservative and go for a modern, lower-end vehicle? Thirdly, what are the maintenance costs on a car like this and is it relatively fuel efficient? Lastly, is there any major difference between older mk2 models (2007ish) and the newer ones (2013ish)? Obviously there will be a difference in price, but would it be penny wise and pound foolish to buy an older model that's cheaper? I am aiming for the region of R150k.

I guess my main concern is whether this would be an unwise and impractical car for me at this stage, or whether it would be an exciting, viable one.

Cheers!
Honestly when starting a new job , reliability is key (depending on working areas).

Would recommend a good used Vivo or Polo as running costs will be lower and easy enough to sell when upgrading a bit later after you settle.

you cant beat value or reliability with most Asian brands if that's also on your mind.
Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

In my honest opinion, for a first car, get something that is known for it's reliability and relatively affordable running/maintenance cost. Rather use disposable income to save for the future and minimize your exposure to debt.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
pjp
Enlisted

Post by pjp »

amstel18 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:03 am Hi there,

My 2c, when i started my first job, I bought myself a Cupra, which was an awesome car, but it was not actually the correct choice as it needed maintenance being an older performance model. Even though it was only 6 years old when I bought it, servicing and the odd boost pipe here and there, I realised I made a mistake in overextending myself at that point in time. Fortunately for me things worked out okay in the end

You mention a budget of R150k. Are you financing or do you have this saved up? Reason I ask is that you should always factor in hidden expenses, like servicing costs, maintenance items, insurance, fuel, etc..

Good rule of thumb is you should be able to afford double your monthly payment in order to truly afford the vehicle you intend on buying.

Don't know your position financially and other commitments you have, but sometimes our excitement of a new car throws logic out the window.
Hi amstel18!

Thanks for the response.

I have The R150k saved up, so would be able to buy the vehicle upfront. I guess that would make the decision regarding maintenance costs easier since I won't have to worry about monthly instalments. Is it a big risk getting a TT thats ±10 years old? In my mind, if I can get one with relatively low mileage (I'm thinking 140k kms and under), it should be reliable? Am I being naive and unrealistic?

I currently drive a TT of a different kind (a Toyota Tazz). It has been my varsity car, but I think its time to upgrade to something more comfortable and, importantly, with more safety features. I know I should probably go the conservative route and buy a more modern Hyundai or something similar, but that would feel like a bit of a lateral move rather than an upgrade. The TT is exciting. Am I being foolish?
pjp
Enlisted

Post by pjp »

Neuk wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:49 am In my honest opinion, for a first car, get something that is known for it's reliability and relatively affordable running/maintenance cost. Rather use disposable income to save for the future and minimize your exposure to debt.
Hi Neuk!

Thanks for the advice. Would you say that a ten-year-old TT is unreliable? And is it definitely more expensive to maintain? I have no idea what to expect so would love to hear any insights you have.

Does the fact that I would not necessarily need to finance the car change your view re debt exposure? Or do I misunderstand you?
pjp
Enlisted

Post by pjp »

Kavi4GP wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:11 am
pjp wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:37 am Hello everyone!

Cheers!
Honestly when starting a new job , reliability is key (depending on working areas).

Would recommend a good used Vivo or Polo as running costs will be lower and easy enough to sell when upgrading a bit later after you settle.

you cant beat value or reliability with most Asian brands if that's also on your mind.
Hi Kavi4GP, thanks for your view.

It seems reliability and affordability would be the prudent choice at this stage!
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

pjp wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:21 pm
amstel18 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:03 am Hi there,

Hi amstel18!

Thanks for the response.

I have The R150k saved up, so would be able to buy the vehicle upfront. I guess that would make the decision regarding maintenance costs easier since I won't have to worry about monthly instalments. Is it a big risk getting a TT thats ±10 years old? In my mind, if I can get one with relatively low mileage (I'm thinking 140k kms and under), it should be reliable? Am I being naive and unrealistic?

I currently drive a TT of a different kind (a Toyota Tazz). It has been my varsity car, but I think its time to upgrade to something more comfortable and, importantly, with more safety features. I know I should probably go the conservative route and buy a more modern Hyundai or something similar, but that would feel like a bit of a lateral move rather than an upgrade. The TT is exciting. Am I being foolish?
I can't comment on the reliability of the TT, but remember it being an Audi, maintenance is quite expensive. I've come to live by the motto, if you can't afford a new one, you won't be able to afford the maintenance on a second hand one. Maybe that's just me being conservative.

My A3 ate its DSG gearbox at 130k, and Audi quoted R127k for a new box. Luckily Thanas sorted me out at a fraction of the cost.
I'm not trying to scare you off into buying something boring, but be prepared to drop 30-40k should things go south on it.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

pjp wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:27 pm
Neuk wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:49 am In my honest opinion, for a first car, get something that is known for it's reliability and relatively affordable running/maintenance cost. Rather use disposable income to save for the future and minimize your exposure to debt.
Hi Neuk!

Thanks for the advice. Would you say that a ten-year-old TT is unreliable? And is it definitely more expensive to maintain? I have no idea what to expect so would love to hear any insights you have.

Does the fact that I would not necessarily need to finance the car change your view re debt exposure? Or do I misunderstand you?
Pleasure, I will help where I can and give my opinion based on my experiences, the decisions are yours to make though.

I am not one to believe that a new car is inherently more reliable than an old car, it is too broad a statement to make and depends on the specific cars, their age, their history, etc, etc. I don't know too much about the TT's you are looking at to be honest so can't comment on their reliability or maintenance but I am sure there are others who could provide some insight and there must be a lot of information on the internet.

Unfortunately, for most people, there is no choice but to finance a car unless they somehow have access to a large amount of money. I am not sure how you plan to pay for the car but if you don't need finance that is great, at any stage of life never mind when you are starting out on your own. To keep it simple, too many, myself included, buy car's on finance early on in life while renting instead of buying property or investing or saving for retirement, etc, etc. That is what I meant by minimizing exposure to debt, finance what you really need to and save up for as much as you can, as early as you can.

P.S. I say all of this being a car lover, so like any other hobby there is nothing wrong with using some of your money on a car :wink:
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Jezzastig6
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years
Car Make: Vw, honda
Car Model: Mk 1 golf 1.4i, ballade 1.8i

Post by Jezzastig6 »

Hi there

Not sure if you already bought something or not.

I would not recommend the TT, I know an acquantance who is friends with a mechanic because of her TT. Honestly at this point in your life. Reliability and ease of use is key. Polo vivo, or a Toyota corolla or new last Gen yaris will give you fun. You should even have enough to go do those racing programs or weekends with abit of money.

Rather get your speed fix in another way and not a money trap.

Kind Regards