duggy8v
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK3 GTi 2.0 8v

Golf 3 shortened shocks required.

Post by duggy8v »

Good day all.

Been a while. Currently installed Maxtrac springs onto my Mk3. The rears fitted well with new Monroe shocks. I have an issue with the fronts though. The spring is not fully compressed after fitting bearing and top seat. I've realized that I now require shortened shocks. Can anyone please assist me with Gabriel part numbers if possible? I have called almost all spares shops around Durban and most of them say that the part was not manufactured. Another option would be Ian Glass but, he's in CPT.

The springs are Maxtrac 60/35. TUV certificate states 60/35 and for a MK3 Golf or Vento.

Any response would do.

'95 VW Golf MKIII GTi
'99 Opel Corsa B 1.4i - Sold
'84 VW Golf MKII CSL - 2.0 8V AFW - Sold
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Golf 3 shortened shocks required.

Post by missioner »

The Gabriel shortened shocks were only made for the CitiGolf as far as I am aware. The Gabriel part number is the same as the one listed in the catalogue with an "L" on the front, for "lowering".

When installing lowering springs it's common on the stock shock for there to be little or no pressure on the spring when assembling the strut. This is why many guys opt rather for a custom coil over strut like BC's, JOM, FK and various other brands. It's safer and built for purpose.

One other possible solution is to contact Koni S.A. and see if they have stock of the motorsport shocks for your car. They did produce suspension parts for the purposes of racing for the MK3 platform, but this was some time back. Demand will dictate availability in this case.

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+