KaRBoN85
Cadet
Registered for: 3 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK5 Jetta TDI

Jetta MK5 door locks

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Good Morning VW Land

So yesterday i noticed that 2 of my doors do not lock when the remote is pressed. Only noticed because my kid opened the door before I could unlock the car.

So what happens as it seems is that the door receives the command because I can feel the lock activity with my hand and can hear it clearly. I removed the grommet with the lock sign to see if there is an adjustment but from where i stand i can only move it back, if moved all the way back the doors lock with the remote but doed not unlock, I can open from inside the car but the adjustment lever moves back to the front position.
Should this be moved for the adjustment? Or is there perhaps a different trick to get this to work. I don't really want to replace the mechanisms so if there is an easier fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Re: Jetta MK5 door locks

Post by Callum229 »

Does the car beep when locked/unlocked?

I know mines won't beep if it can't engage any of the locks or if it senses the locks aren't engaged, the same with my VW Transporter as that has faulty locks as well.

On my car, the passenger door would lock, but I would get an error code for something to do with it not sensing that it was "unlocked". However when I took the door pads apart and fiddling with the module plug in the door because I was fitting LED puddle lamps, I think it might have had a bad contact or something as then after that it never gave the error again. Maybe you could try that too and check if it fixes the issue.

Sounds like your door lock mechanism might be seized as well, try spraying some thin lube like Q20 inside the door lock mechanism and keep trying to work the door.

The VW locks are known for failing and being faulty, you have to remove the whole door skin to get to it in order to check it and replace it.

That adjustment isn't for the door locks, that's for child proof locks so you can't open it from the inside. I will double check mines tomorrow and let you know.

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Yip. It beeps. Going to have faults scanned with @Titleists in the coming week maybe it will show up on vcds.
Will try some lube spray in there too. Perhaps it will loosen up whatever is junking it up.

Here is a pic of the lever i spoke of. Its a bit higher then the child lock.

Can i spray some Q20 directly it here?

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Are you able to manually depress the lock pin on the inside of the door and then close the door? also are these rear or front doors?

This is a good video explaining the lock issues (and can help you diagnose your issue)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuOJhZaGwnw

Handle removal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hykV3zw-l20
KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

@Howie-WP i do not see any lock pin on the inside of the vehicle. It is the front and rear on the left side of the vehicle.

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

KaRBoN85 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:19 pm @Howie-WP i do not see any lock pin on the inside of the vehicle. It is the front and rear on the left side of the vehicle.

Sorry, just went to check my Mk5 as well, no lock pins. I was confused and thinking of Polo. Check the vids I posted, you might have to remove your locks and check.
KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Indeed. Removal from the outside seems alot simpler then removing the door card.
Thanks @Howie-WP will do this later in the week when I have a spare moment.

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

Another explanatory vid, wrt microswitches telling car if it is locked or not and door lock motor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5dtdyDDgrw

This one is way detailed:
https://youtu.be/hA_igZnCBPY?t=2

ps: I am doing research on fixing my Treg's front doorlocks (microswitch if door is closed or not) These locks are pretty complex (and simple) at the same time. So many bits that could fail over time
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

OP, does the doors lock when you manually lock with the key from the outside (and if you lock from within the car via the drivers door)? Also when "unlocked" are the door lights on or not? Does it show door open on the binnacle LCD display?
KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

@Howie-WP the doors do not lock from the internal switch or key. The icon on the dash only lights up when the door is physically opened.
So the car recognizes that when the doors are open or closed.

Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

Hi, did you get the car scanned and checked if there is any codes?

I remember when I had the issue with my passenger door lock, I tried to code the sensing function (safe function) under the door module via VCDS.

It disabled the function of sensing the door so I did not get an error, but it also prevented the door from locking/unlocking via remote and does sound like yours.

Also microswitch failure should give a code as well(my unlock sensing microswitch was not detecting that the passenger door was unlocked, this gave an error) , so make sure you get the car scanned before stripping and trying to figure the problem out, as the car should pinpoint the issue itself.

Motor failure will also give an error as my dad's rear passenger door does that weird thing like it wants to unlatch but does not, but there is an error code for the motor, so something might be seized or the motor might be damaged.

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Going Thursday morning bright and early to see @Titleists for a scan. Hopefully can get it sorted

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

KaRBoN85 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:56 pm @Howie-WP the doors do not lock from the internal switch or key. The icon on the dash only lights up when the door is physically opened.
So the car recognizes that when the doors are open or closed.

OK, so that might be the lock / unlock micro switches then. Was anything done on this side of the car? It's odd both doors, you perhaps check the wiring from that side? You mentioned you can feel something so motor must also be working, might just be something small.

The scan should be more informative..... keep us posted.
KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

So I went for the scan and just shows that there is a malfunction. Hopefully GoldWagen has replacement door locks and they don't cost an arm and a leg

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member

Post by Howie-WP »

KaRBoN85 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:51 pm So I went for the scan and just shows that there is a malfunction. Hopefully GoldWagen has replacement door locks and they don't cost an arm and a leg

Hopefully cheaper than the Touareg locks I asked them for, website says POA :lol: I know why.

Take sometime and remove the locks and see what the problem is, plenty of Youtube vids about the mk5 lock issues.

Try this guy, I am buying replacement microswitches for my TReg from him, perhaps he can help / diagnose??
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 0363631596
KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Thanks @Howie-WP then just need to sort out my aircon valve then sorted. Still worth the price i paid for my VDub.

Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

I have just checked my dad's door (VW Golf 5 TDI), it does the exact same thing as yours where it makes a sound like it wants to unlock/lock but doesn't actually do it. I think it's seized as car was parked off for years.

Got a code for electrical fault in door motor. Will update as I get around to fixing it.

KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

Callum229 wrote:I have just checked my dad's door (VW Golf 5 TDI), it does the exact same thing as yours where it makes a sound like it wants to unlock/lock but doesn't actually do it. I think it's seized as car was parked off for years.

Got a code for electrical fault in door motor. Will update as I get around to fixing it.
Thanks @Callum229 please pass along the part numbers if you can

DJ7
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 6 years 5 months
Car Model: MK5 2.0 TDI DSG
Membership No: 3238

Post by DJ7 »

There is a guy in Cape Town that fixes the existing lock. He fixed my ex's lock in like 30mins, and been working ever since.
Current: '05 VW Golf 5 2.0 TDI Sportline (hers)
Current: '97 VW Jetta VR6 (his)
Project: '83 Datsun 1400 Sunny (project)
Ex: '97 Astra Estate 200i
'00 Corsa 200 GSI 16v
'96 Astra 200i E 16v
'02 Corsa 160 GSI
'93 Ballade 160e
'95 Astra 200i E 16v
KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

DJ7 wrote:There is a guy in Cape Town that fixes the existing lock. He fixed my ex's lock in like 30mins, and been working ever since.
Awesome. Mind sharing the contact info? Would be really helpful

DJ7
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 6 years 5 months
Car Model: MK5 2.0 TDI DSG
Membership No: 3238

Post by DJ7 »

KaRBoN85 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:53 pm
DJ7 wrote:There is a guy in Cape Town that fixes the existing lock. He fixed my ex's lock in like 30mins, and been working ever since.

I don't have the details and needless to say, the ex and I are not on speaking terms. But I will find his gumtree ad and then post the link in here.
Current: '05 VW Golf 5 2.0 TDI Sportline (hers)
Current: '97 VW Jetta VR6 (his)
Project: '83 Datsun 1400 Sunny (project)
Ex: '97 Astra Estate 200i
'00 Corsa 200 GSI 16v
'96 Astra 200i E 16v
'02 Corsa 160 GSI
'93 Ballade 160e
'95 Astra 200i E 16v
KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

DJ7 wrote:
KaRBoN85 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:53 pm

I don't have the details and needless to say, the ex and I are not on speaking terms. But I will find his gumtree ad and then post the link in here.
Much appreciated

RebelGTI
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 1 month
Car Model: MK5 GTi

Post by RebelGTI »

I have the same problem with my mk5 GTI. Dealerships sell those locks for around R5000 and goldwagen for about a R1000 less but as I understood the sales guy, they are refurbished units. Im just thinking to get the module from Ebay rather.
2007 MK5 GTI
Revo Stage 3
Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

There is someone that converts the lock mechanism or fixes it(not sure what) and offers a 2 year guarantee on the work.

Quoted as 750 per door.

He is based in Durban.

Autotech sound, security and aircon, 4 Smithfield Road, Kenville.

KaRBoN85
Cadet

Post by KaRBoN85 »

RebelGTI wrote:I have the same problem with my mk5 GTI. Dealerships sell those locks for around R5000 and goldwagen for about a R1000 less but as I understood the sales guy, they are refurbished units. Im just thinking to get the module from Ebay rather.
4k per lock is still a bit pricy! Also not cool since I can see it's a world wide problem on mk5 VWs