Mk3 1.8 gsx

DALE837
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 4 months

Mk3 1.8 gsx

Post by DALE837 »

I have had my mk3 for about a year and replaced the clutch 3 or 4 times, can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Re: Mk3 1.8 gsx

Post by Callum229 »

Alignment of clutch when installing?

Not adjusting the clutch properly and it ends up slipping?

Driving style, riding clutch, revving car to high rpm and moving off, etc?

Pressure plate warped?

Wrong clutch or weaker clutch and car is modified for more power? Maybe go for a more uprated or performance clutch?

A lot more factors that can influence clutch life, just check and see.

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
DALE837
Enlisted

Post by DALE837 »

What would be the best clutch kit to get. Im not doing the installation but the more i know the better. Thank you
DALE837
Enlisted

Post by DALE837 »

Just trying to understand how you can put it in wrong.
Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

Is the car modified? If so how much more power?

Who is fitting the clutch?

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

DALE837
Enlisted

Post by DALE837 »

Not modified, still standard. He is a mechanic and the same model as mine. The last guy didn't skeem my flywheel. He also didn't replace the tickie seal. The mechanic I'm using says that's the reason why my clutch is slipping now
Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

The clutch is disengaged with the hydraulic clutch system that includes the seal, the clutch ENGAGES or stays engaged without the hydraulic system using the pressure plate and the hydraulic system including that seal is used to DISENGAGE the clutch, therefore if it is leaking or not working properly, it will make the clutch not disengage or partially disengage which will cause hard to shift and grinding gears. If it's slipping while driving, then the clutch is either soaked in oil from the seal and causing it to slip or the clutch was not adjusted properly and the hydraulic system is keeping the clutch slightly disengaged/opened and it's slipping.

Therefore the only way the seal can damage the clutch is if it does not disengage the clutch partially or fully or the oil is leaking from the seal to the clutch.

Please check which one is it.

Are there any heat spots on the pressure plate?

Find the source of the problem before fitting a new clutch or it could be expensive as 3 clutches in the space of a year is definitely something wrong.

Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3
Membership No: missing

Post by Killerwatt »

What exactly goes wrong does it start to slip? Is the friction disc worn, burnt or oily?

Could be a few things. Pressure plate could have been previously skimmed incorrectly(not skimming the pressure plate mounting points)
The seal on the pushrod could be leaking. Is this the tickie seal? If so also replace the brass bush.

The mk3 is a cable clutch, the oil that wets the clutch is actual gearbox oil. So it can be unrelated to the engagement system
GEE 4 GTI
Enlisted
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by GEE 4 GTI »

U might be experiencing a dragging clutch. This is described as the clutch disk failing to disengage the flywheel when the clutch is pressed. The problem makes it difficult or impossible to change gears and is accompanied by a grinding noise. It’s usually caused by too much slack in the clutch pedal, which is a relatively easy and inexpensive fix.