Re: error 01176 Key Signal too low jetta 4 2002

gustav
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: error 01176 Key Signal too low jetta 4 2002

Post by gustav »

Very intermittently the engine would just switch off and on when driving. it can be good for months , then it happens . i have checked for error codes with an OBDeleven and this is the only fault that was found. I have used my spare key, but the fault is the same. so it could be the pick up coil in the ignition, any suggestions how to fix this if that is the case
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Re: Re: error 01176 Key Signal too low jetta 4 2002

Post by Jetta2 »

01176 - Key: Signal too Low
Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON

Possible Causes

Immobilizer
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Immobilizer Reader Coil faulty
Immobilizer Reader Coil faulty
Immobilizer Transponder in Key faulty OR incorrect Transponder in Key
Remote Control
Remote Control Battery low
Remote Control faulty OR incorrect Remote Control used

Possible Solutions

Immobilizer
Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Immobilizer Reader Coil
Check Key Immobilizer Transponder Status
See Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)
Check/Renew Immobilizer Key Matching
Check/Replace Key
Remote Control
Check/Replace Remote Control Battery
Check/Replace Remote Control

Special Notes

If found on a New Beetle, can be caused by the Insulation Displacement Crimp (IDC) terminals that are used for the reader coil at T32a/2 and T32a/17 (green connector) that result in poor contact. This can degrade the signal from the key.
This Fault Code can be stored in due to Remote Control or Immobilizer Problems. On most Models these systems are separate and should therefor also be diagnosed separately.
In case of Engine Starting Issues please make sure that you are really experiencing an Immobilizer related Problem! On most models using conventional keys, the Engine will still start but cut out after 1-3 Seconds if an Immobilizer related Problem is the cause. On models using Kessy Systems and Electronic Keys, most systems in the car won't power up at all if if an Immobilizer related Problem is the cause. If you are NOT experiencing this behavior (e.g. Instrument Cluster powers up, and engine cranks but doesn't fire at all or engine won't crank) this is likely NOT Immobilizer related.
When found in Audi A3 (8L), Audi A4 (8D), Audi A6 (4B) or Audi A8 (4D), check Wiring from Immobilizer Control Module to Immobilizer Reader Coil. A known issue would be the Length of the Wiring, an optimized Replacement Part may be available (8D0-972-275).
May be stored in Combination with 17978/P1570/005488 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer in Engine Control Module.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
gustav
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Re: Re: error 01176 Key Signal too low jetta 4 2002

Post by gustav »

Thanks Ryan for replying. The engine starts without any problems and the car goes very well, but occasionally like once in a month the engine would almost switch off and on, jerking. especially on a long trip, therefor I cannot trust the car. After scanning, 01176 is the only error I got. it makes me think there must be a bad earth problem leading to the low volts on the Key signal, because if it was faulty it would not have worked at all. Do you have any idea where I can measure for these voltages. I have replaced the fuel pump about two years ago, but that jerking was different, more a lost in power