Dexter007
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo Vivo 1.4 Tiptronic

Vivo Tiptronic towbar

Post by Dexter007 »

Hi guys,

I would just like to know if it is safe to put a towbar on a Polo Vivo sedan 1.4 tiptronic. It will just be for towing a 6ft trailer with normal holiday baggage.

I get a lot of different opinions and nobody that I know can give me a real answer. A few towbar places say they have never put a towbar on the tiptronic vivo's and also cant give me an answer if it will damage the gearbox.
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Model: Touareg / Caddy / Polo / Citi
Membership No: missing

Re: Vivo Tiptronic towbar

Post by OettingerTDi »

Have a look at the owners manual to determine whether the specifications list a tow rating. If permitted, I presume it will be limited to 750kg unbraked, which is OK for towing a trailer. The chassis is similar to other Vivo sedans, so no problems there fitting a towbar.

I don't think it will be an issue towing a 6 foot trailer, provided that things are kept reasonable from a weight perspective, remember it is still only a 1400 and will be working harder, particularly if the boot and cabin are loaded too. Also expect fuel consumption to be a fair bit higher, close to the 9 to 10 litres per 100km mark, i.e. 400km on a tank, if not less.

The auto box will choose the ratio it feels happy with to tow, but you might find it hunting around a bit as it tries to cope with keeping the momentum, which will definitely add to the fuel consumption.

Having said that, I would personally not tow with a 1400. In my opinion, entry level for towing a trailer is a 1600 at least, which gives you a little more torque on tap.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2004 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1998 Jetta 3 CLX (Taken by a friendly chap called Jack)
1993 Uno Turbo
1988 Ford Laser 1600i Sport
Dexter007
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 5 months
Car Model: Polo Vivo 1.4 Tiptronic

Re: Vivo Tiptronic towbar

Post by Dexter007 »

Thanks for the reply