2004 Golf 1 Heater valve

VWish
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

2004 Golf 1 Heater valve

Post by VWish »

Hi. I am having an issue with the heater valve fitment. It seems that the knob whilst on cold still blows hot. How can I rectify this. The water flow direction indicator is from the heater side toward the engine. Not sure if that is correct. Thanks.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: 2004 Golf 1 Heater valve

Post by missioner »

VWish wrote:Hi. I am having an issue with the heater valve fitment. It seems that the knob whilst on cold still blows hot. How can I rectify this. The water flow direction indicator is from the heater side toward the engine. Not sure if that is correct. Thanks.
Have someone turn the knob for you while observing the cables movements at the valve. If the cable opens and closes the valve then great. Check if the valve becomes fully closed by releasing the clip on the plastic casing. Push the lever to the stop and reclip the casing. Test it and see.

It may require a few tries to get it right. If all else fails replace the valve.

There are two types. The common one is from the old dash models and works opposite to the new dash valve. Compared side to side they are very different. The new dash one has a square section in the middle and is easily recognizable.

If you can't get the new dash one, dont panic, the old one works fine, all it does is reverse the direction of the knob. Hot becomes cold and cold is now hot. I like the old style valves better than the new one as they fail less often. Something to be said for simple design.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
VWish
Enlisted

Post by VWish »

Just replaced with one from GW. They look the same...pipes are a bit shorter than OEM. I just discovered it works opposite to the OEM part. Made in Brazil :eek: :twisted:
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Yes, there is a long-standing story about some of the valves operating the opposite way around [edit: even though they look the same from the outside]. I'm not sure when and why the design was changed...

I remember very distantly that one can actually mount the "wrong" valve in the "wrong" way, and have to wrongs make a sort-of right. Or re-fit the arm to the spindle...
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
VWish
Enlisted

Post by VWish »

Thanks guys. Well, I have re labelled my dash from Hot to Cold and Cold to Hot. Will have to put up with that :)
Case closed...
Supervan II
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: SEAT
Membership No: missing

Post by Supervan II »

VWish wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:12 pm Thanks guys. Well, I have re labelled my dash from Hot to Cold and Cold to Hot. Will have to put up with that :)
Case closed...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The things we do for love (of our cars)! :hug:
lowrence40@gmail.com
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 10 months

Post by lowrence40@gmail.com »

Hi all,
Can't we re-adjust the leaver on the valve(making it close in a place of open)...?