Polo 6N 1.6 Fan's Not Switching on

BeastMK22
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Polo 6N 1.6 Fan's Not Switching on

Post by BeastMK22 »

Fan's do not switch on when the car gets hot. The temp goes up to 110 c with no fans coming on. If I drop or tap the relay the fans come on which you can see in the video below. I replaced the relay 3 times now - first one with a new WAG unit from Goldwagen, still not working and returned this one as I thought it was faulty. Second time I bought a second hand one, thinking the new one was faulty or not compatible - still no luck. Went back to one from Goldwagen thinking the first one was faulty and this one must be good - still dead. :(

I replaced the fan switch, thermostat and the temp sender. Anyone know where to look next as you can see the old one just needs a knock for it work so I assumed that it was faulty.

Old unit:

New WAG Unit:

Check Video showing what happens when I knock or drop it:

https://youtu.be/xY2fPb843O8

So right now I have no clue what is wrong unless these WAG units just dont work on the car. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Current:

Astra Turbo Coupe

Ex's:

Polo Classic 1.6i(6n) Millennium Edition: 50mm freeflow and down-pipe; k&n flat panel filter; & Tuning ARt Coilovers.

Golf II 2L 8v "The Beast" (Flowed & ported head; Wildcat 4-2-1 branch, 50mm Powerflow; 272 cam; Twin Weber 40s; KS pistons & 2l Lightened crank)

BMW 518i e12 "The Tank"
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Re: Polo 6N 1.6 Fan's Not Switching on

Post by VAG Fan »

Perhaps it's not the relay, but some other bad connection. Are the fuses on top of the battery all in good order?
Test with a multimeter which leads have power and which ones don't.
What happens of you connect the input and output leads directly, without using the relay?
I'm wondering whether the "drop" is causing enough vibration around the battery to close a weak connection (somewhere else in the engine compartment).
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
BeastMK22
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Polo 6N 1.6 Fan's Not Switching on

Post by BeastMK22 »

VAG Fan wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:17 am Perhaps it's not the relay, but some other bad connection. Are the fuses on top of the battery all in good order?
Test with a multimeter which leads have power and which ones don't.
What happens of you connect the input and output leads directly, without using the relay?
I'm wondering whether the "drop" is causing enough vibration around the battery to close a weak connection (somewhere else in the engine compartment).
Checked all fuses etc. All good. Also checked the wiring to see if it's loose etc, nothing. Going to have to go through the input and output wiring and see.

Just stumped as to how the new ones don't work and only the original after a drop, works :-(
Current:

Astra Turbo Coupe

Ex's:

Polo Classic 1.6i(6n) Millennium Edition: 50mm freeflow and down-pipe; k&n flat panel filter; & Tuning ARt Coilovers.

Golf II 2L 8v "The Beast" (Flowed & ported head; Wildcat 4-2-1 branch, 50mm Powerflow; 272 cam; Twin Weber 40s; KS pistons & 2l Lightened crank)

BMW 518i e12 "The Tank"