Backfire, lack of power, cutting out

Adele33
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

Backfire, lack of power, cutting out

Post by Adele33 »

Hi guys, I have a 1300 Chico Carb which is giving me sleepless nights. About a month ago my Clutch cable broke and from there everything just went from bad to worse. We replaced the cable and seems there was an earth that made the wrong connection at some stage which was resolved and from there we started replacing almost everything motor wise. When I drive the car out of the blue seems to loose power, go slower and slower and then just dies. When I try to start it nothing even if i step on the gas, nothing happens, its like it just sucks air. The car at some stages even back fires through the carb, so badly that i just leave the car cause I am scared it will catch on fire or something. We cut the small filter with the little holes off from the pipe that goes into the tank (under the back seat) and the car seemed fine for a few days. Then BAM same crap again, we then remove the air filter and car was great again for a few days. Yesterday morning I got stuck twice due the the same thing. Oh and when this whole episode start that car jerks like shes not getting any fuel, then looses power and then DIES. PLEASE HELP! This is costing a freaking fortune and I know for a fact that this will be something SMALL.... :(
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Re: Backfire, lack of power, cutting out

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Start with checking the grounding to the gearbox- that's the big thick cable hat goes from the battery to the gearbox

I would honestly start with the testing the fuel pump, the carb and carb base plate and ensure that this set properly

Check the spark system (might have a coil, plug wires, spark plugs). From there it will be good idea to maybe have a check on the distributor (a bad dissy can cause that back fire issue and other timing related issues).

Do a compression test on the engine.

I hope you come right soon
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
Adele33
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

Re: Backfire, lack of power, cutting out

Post by Adele33 »

8VALVE-zn wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:16 pm Start with checking the grounding to the gearbox- that's the big thick cable hat goes from the battery to the gearbox

I would honestly start with the testing the fuel pump, the carb and carb base plate and ensure that this set properly

Check the spark system (might have a coil, plug wires, spark plugs). From there it will be good idea to maybe have a check on the distributor (a bad dissy can cause that back fire issue and other timing related issues).

Do a compression test on the engine.

I hope you come right soon
Thank you very much will check all of this. The baseplate is new as the old one had a crack :cry: