What engine does my Polo have?

Mielieman303
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo AW TSI

What engine does my Polo have?

Post by Mielieman303 »

I have come across the following when browsing through my 2019 Polo Comfortline 1.0 TSI Manual (5 Speed)'s manual that came with the car:

Vehicle is supposed to have 70KW and 175NM with engine code CHZL

When checking my engine code on my vehicle it is CHZD, now though some research I have found that the CHZD engine gives 85KW and 200NM. I have checked some other Polo's and I have not found one with a CHZD engine.

Anyone here that can shed some light on what is going on here?

(I would attach pictures but being new here I have not quite figured out how to do that) :hurray:
(\/)
( . .)
c(")(")
Jet Li
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Membership No: 3103

Re: What engine does my Polo have?

Post by Jet Li »

Dont know much about new Polos but yours is detuned to 70KW because its 5 speed comfortline. VW group does that all the time, Ed35 Golf uses detuned 8P S3 engine. Hope that helps
'09 8P S3 Sportback (MT)
'10 B8 S4 V6T (DSG)
'15 6C GTi (MT)
Mielieman303
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo AW TSI

Post by Mielieman303 »

Jet Li wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:03 am Dont know much about new Polos but yours is detuned to 70KW because its 5 speed comfortline. VW group does that all the time, Ed35 Golf uses detuned 8P S3 engine. Hope that helps
So they have an engine that produces 70KW with engine code CHZL that I see in the other confortlines and trendlines I have checked. (This is what I find so confusing is if they have an engine with that power numbers why would they go through the effort to detune the CHZD?

Would I be able to get the engine map loaded on my car that would bump the power up to 85kw then?
(\/)
( . .)
c(")(")
Jet Li
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Membership No: 3103

Post by Jet Li »

There are tuners here in the forum that can advice you better and 85KW is not far fetched. Comfortline/Highline Polos are fuel effecient and very good as daily cars but not enough for performance. 9n GTI is only 110 KW and I personally find it more entertaining to drive than the Highlines.
'09 8P S3 Sportback (MT)
'10 B8 S4 V6T (DSG)
'15 6C GTi (MT)
G-spot
Committee Member
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Audi S3 Sedan
Membership No: 1215

Post by G-spot »

Mielieman303 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:15 pm I have come across the following when browsing through my 2019 Polo Comfortline 1.0 TSI Manual (5 Speed)'s manual that came with the car:

Vehicle is supposed to have 70KW and 175NM with engine code CHZL

When checking my engine code on my vehicle it is CHZD, now though some research I have found that the CHZD engine gives 85KW and 200NM. I have checked some other Polo's and I have not found one with a CHZD engine.

Anyone here that can shed some light on what is going on here?

(I would attach pictures but being new here I have not quite figured out how to do that) :hurray:
According to the Kess v2 tuning tool software all the 75 kw variant have CHZ (A to D) engine codes and the 85KW varients have DKJ (They only list DKJA) engine code
Grant Hendry
Membership no.:1215

Current:
2016 Audi S3 Sedan
1978 VW Golf 1100 GL
Ex:
2012 VW Golf GTI Edition 35
2007 VW Golf GTI
2006 Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
2012 VW Polo GTI
G-spot
Committee Member
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Audi S3 Sedan
Membership No: 1215

Post by G-spot »

Jet Li wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:03 am Dont know much about new Polos but yours is detuned to 70KW because its 5 speed comfortline. VW group does that all the time, Ed35 Golf uses detuned 8P S3 engine. Hope that helps
Well yes and no

Generally speaking CDLA and CDLB and CDLC engines would be the same motor with revised parts (like PCV's, Thermostats, Radiators etc.) like the ED35 vs S3 vs R and could have different states of tune. But once there are hardware changes the engine code will change completely (like cams, Turbos, injectors etc) like the the Leon Cupra which has pretty much the same motor as the above but some has a BWJ engine code
Grant Hendry
Membership no.:1215

Current:
2016 Audi S3 Sedan
1978 VW Golf 1100 GL
Ex:
2012 VW Golf GTI Edition 35
2007 VW Golf GTI
2006 Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
2012 VW Polo GTI