2008 Audi S3

Kat242
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

2008 Audi S3

Post by Kat242 »

Hi Guys

I'm driving the new Polo vivo GT, nice car, over economical however it no longer excites me. So I'm thinking of getting something with more power, that'll put a smile on my face.

I have a soft spot for Audi and so I came across a man selling his 2008 Audi S3 pre-facelift with very low mileage. I'm tempted but wanted to get advise from you guy first before make my final decision.
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Re: 2008 Audi S3

Post by Trishen94 »

Its by far the best car ive owned .make sure to check the history of the vehicle to see if the cambelt ,chain ,drivetrain have been properly maintained if yes .then its a proper car ...i daily mine and cant get enough of it
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
Titleists
Philosopher STIG
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2016 Golf R
Membership No: 1520

Post by Titleists »

Coming from an Polo Vivo you might get a huge surprise on the lack of fuel economy in the S3. Other than that, great car.
VCDS changes done by me for a minimal fee

My ex rides:

2013 LHD Scirocco R
2011 Golf 6 GTI
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

:iagree:
Titleists wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:16 am Coming from an Polo Vivo you might get a huge surprise on the lack of fuel economy in the S3. Other than that, great car.
I agree ...the power also might seem like its alot but just make sure its running smooth without any hardware issues a simple vcds log before purchase wont be difficult

Ram013
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 9 months
Car Model: Allspace 2.0 TSI Highline

Post by Ram013 »

Kat242 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:34 am Hi Guys

I'm driving the new Polo vivo GT, nice car, over economical however it no longer excites me. So I'm thinking of getting something with more power, that'll put a smile on my face.

I have a soft spot for Audi and so I came across a man selling his 2008 Audi S3 pre-facelift with very low mileage. I'm tempted but wanted to get advise from you guy first before make my final decision.
I believe the S3 will put a smile on your face, albeit at a cost. It's 11 years old now, and if the basic maintenance hasn't been done (get a full history from the owner) things can get expensive so it would be nice to have a stash of cash, just in case. Ok, so that's using your head.

But, you need to drive it, to see how it makes you feel...then decide.
Ex:
'09 Mk5 GTI DSG(My definition of happiness)
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'98 Fiesta 1.3(Ford, never again)
'90 Sentra 1.3
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

And just to add plz take my advice .if u not happy with the body work or service history or anything that puts u of the car ....plz DO NOT test drive it because as soon as u test drive it consider it urs u will forget about all the wrongs on the car u will be blinded and never leave it im 100% sure u will pull every string in the world to buy it

Kat242
Enlisted

Post by Kat242 »

Trishen94 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:20 pm And just to add plz take my advice .if u not happy with the body work or service history or anything that puts u of the car ....plz DO NOT test drive it because as soon as u test drive it consider it urs u will forget about all the wrongs on the car u will be blinded and never leave it im 100% sure u will pull every string in the world to buy it
Trust me, I am not trying to throw myself in the deep end. I'll do thorough checks before I get behind the wheel that's if I'll end up getting behind it.
Kat242
Enlisted

Post by Kat242 »

Ram013 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:38 pm

I believe the S3 will put a smile on your face, albeit at a cost. It's 11 years old now, and if the basic maintenance hasn't been done (get a full history from the owner) things can get expensive so it would be nice to have a stash of cash, just in case. Ok, so that's using your head.

On that note, yes I have realised that it's an old car but provided that the mileage is low, I want to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Another option I had a look at was the A1 1.4TFSI S-line 136kw. I know it's nowhere close to the S3, but I had it I mind, taking in to consideration the costs, maintenance and that it's more modern.
Ram013
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 9 months
Car Model: Allspace 2.0 TSI Highline

Post by Ram013 »

Kat242 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:28 pm
Ram013 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:38 pm

On that note, yes I have realised that it's an old car but provided that the mileage is low, I want to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Another option I had a look at was the A1 1.4TFSI S-line 136kw. I know it's nowhere close to the S3, but I had it I mind, taking in to consideration the costs, maintenance and that it's more modern.
A1 is not exactly good bang for buck in my books. If you don't need 4 doors, I'd go completely left-field and get a Roc R. Similar maintenance issues as the S3, but that's a sweet handling car.

But if you're an Audi fan, I'd take the S3.
Ex:
'09 Mk5 GTI DSG(My definition of happiness)
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'98 Fiesta 1.3(Ford, never again)
'90 Sentra 1.3
Kirshenp
Lieutenant
Registered for: 11 years 8 months
Car Make: Audi, VW
Car Model: Audi 1.8T, MK2 GTi
Membership No: 3235

Post by Kirshenp »

Audi's are pretty expensive to maintain and even more expensive when things break. Agreed, the S3 is a fantastic car, but it will cost you a pretty penny to maintain and fix... I had a Polo Vivo GT before my Audi and it was one of the most sensible cars I have driven.
Current Rides:
2011 Audi A3 1.8TFSI - Current http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=183182
1991 VW Golf Mk2 GTi http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... 1&t=149471

2012 VW Polo Vivo GT - SOLD
2008 VW Polo 9n3 http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... 1&t=148182 - STOLEN :(

"Boostlife and Eat.Sleep.GTi'"
Kat242
Enlisted

Post by Kat242 »

Kirshenp wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:46 am Audi's are pretty expensive to maintain and even more expensive when things break. Agreed, the S3 is a fantastic car, but it will cost you a pretty penny to maintain and fix... I had a Polo Vivo GT before my Audi and it was one of the most sensible cars I have driven.
Yeah that's true, they're expensive. But I heard they pretty reliable when well maintained, issue is I don't want to end up with a car that will always need to be parked before having to fix it. However I have been considering the A3 8V 1.8TFSI S-line, and opt for a pre-owned warranty for peace of mind. Wise decision? Anyone driving an A3 8V 1.8TFSI with input?
Kirshenp
Lieutenant
Registered for: 11 years 8 months
Car Make: Audi, VW
Car Model: Audi 1.8T, MK2 GTi
Membership No: 3235

Post by Kirshenp »

Kat242 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:10 pm
Kirshenp wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:46 am Audi's are pretty expensive to maintain and even more expensive when things break. Agreed, the S3 is a fantastic car, but it will cost you a pretty penny to maintain and fix... I had a Polo Vivo GT before my Audi and it was one of the most sensible cars I have driven.
Yeah that's true, they're expensive. But I heard they pretty reliable when well maintained, issue is I don't want to end up with a car that will always need to be parked before having to fix it. However I have been considering the A3 8V 1.8TFSI S-line, and opt for a pre-owned warranty for peace of mind. Wise decision? Anyone driving an A3 8V 1.8TFSI with input?
A good friend of mine just bought an A3 8V 1.8TFSI and it's a fantastic all-round car. The extended warranty is a MUST, however, that means that modding the car is out of the question. Overall, the Audi is the best car I have owned (albeit with all the issues I have had). If the question was whether I would buy another one, my answer would be no. From your initial post, the safer option is to go with an A3 over an S3. I've known MANY people with different variations of the 8P S3. Incredible cars with loads of potential, but at a heavy cost.

But all of this is just my opinion, and I hope that you find the car you are looking for with minimal to no issues :) Good luck bud
Current Rides:
2011 Audi A3 1.8TFSI - Current http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=183182
1991 VW Golf Mk2 GTi http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... 1&t=149471

2012 VW Polo Vivo GT - SOLD
2008 VW Polo 9n3 http://www.vwclub.co.za/phpbb3/viewtopi ... 1&t=148182 - STOLEN :(

"Boostlife and Eat.Sleep.GTi'"
Titleists
Philosopher STIG

Post by Titleists »

One thing about the 1.8 Audi. Once you've bought it, you've also married it.....

My ex rides:

2013 LHD Scirocco R
2011 Golf 6 GTI
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

Titleists wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:01 am One thing about the 1.8 Audi. Once you've bought it, you've also married it.....
In community of property ...and if u get divorced u lose 50% of it

amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

the 1.8 audi is not THAT bad guys.

Sure the 8P shape had lots of issues with oi consumption etc, but my 8V has been awesome.

I bought it with 60k on the clock. It's about to hit 120k and the only thing that I had to replace was the Thermostat/waterpump housing. Luckily warranty covered it.

On a side note though, it seems that a lot of the aftermarket warranties are not of much help when buying an Audi, as they have freeway plan until 5yr/100k and once that is over then the category the car falls within doesn't leave you much cover.

Services are not bad. I pay around R2500-3k at the agents for the inspection services. Major service is around 7k.

For what it is, it's a great car. More than enough oomph and its good on fuel. My average over the last 60k is 13.5k/l. Not going to find something sub 200k that's going to give you all that.

I'm thinking about selling mine, only because I want to get a bakkie/ SUV as I want the space.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Titleists
Philosopher STIG

Post by Titleists »

amstel18 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:07 pm

I'm thinking about selling mine, only because I want to get a bakkie/ SUV as I want the space.
When you start with the process to sell it you'll know what I mean. No one is going to buy it as per book value.

My ex rides:

2013 LHD Scirocco R
2011 Golf 6 GTI
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

Titleists wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:56 pm
amstel18 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:07 pm

When you start with the process to sell it you'll know what I mean. No one is going to buy it as per book value.
:iagree:

Any audi is not easy to sell compared to its competitors like VW and when i bought mine i knew that when i do decide to sell i wont get close to what ive spent on it but because i liked the car i bought it .so if u looking for something that will hold value better rather look at a vw but if u prepaired to take a knock when selling and u are an audi fanatic like me then go for it .other than the bad resale they are more than awesome cars and even my next car will be an audi

Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Post by Quik-Trix »

Hey Bud, I have the TSI GT also. Have it for about 6 months now, and enjoy it.
Yes it's not the fastest out there, but I honestly feel what you pay for and what you get is actually a good deal. It has a punch and the fuel economy it returns is fantastic.

Also contemplated getting a 6R GTI after few months of the GT because wondered how fun that mustbe to drive, but I don't think anything will give me that economy and actually appreciate the car for what it is.