jaunrothner
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2016 Polo GTi DSG (6C

2016 Polo 6c GTI DSG "'ERROR WORKSHOP ONLY LEAVE VEHICLE IN P POSITION' message

Post by jaunrothner »

Hello All,

So this morning out of the blue I get a "'ERROR WORKSHOP ONLY LEAVE VEHICLE IN P POSITION" message,
I was driving without any issues, put my hand on the gear knob and this error popped up,

Got to work and Googled the error and found that some say to just carry on and ignore the error as it goes away 3 seconds later, others say it's the "faulty switch on the gear selector" and apparently a common problem as well,

Is this indeed a common problem on the DSG boxes? Price to have this repaired?

Thanks for your help!
PoloRolo
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 3 months
Car Model: Golf 7.5 R-Line

Re: 2016 Polo 6c GTI DSG "'ERROR WORKSHOP ONLY LEAVE VEHICLE IN P POSITION' message

Post by PoloRolo »

Hey, I recently had this error on my 2012 Polo 1.2 TSI DSG. Within a week the error appeared about 6 times for 2/3 seconds and then went away. Just like you, it did not affect the drive at all.

As the car is still under warranty I booked it in at the dealer. They will have to diagnose it to determine the extent. In my case it was minor. A gear selector part was replaced, the repair took a day. The error has since not re-appeared.

There is a possibility it could be more serious, however without a proper diagnosis, you won't know the full extent.
jaunrothner
Cadet

Re: 2016 Polo 6c GTI DSG "'ERROR WORKSHOP ONLY LEAVE VEHICLE IN P POSITION' message

Post by jaunrothner »

PoloRolo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:48 am Hey, I recently had this error on my 2012 Polo 1.2 TSI DSG. Within a week the error appeared about 6 times for 2/3 seconds and then went away. Just like you, it did not affect the drive at all.

As the car is still under warranty I booked it in at the dealer. They will have to diagnose it to determine the extent. In my case it was minor. A gear selector part was replaced, the repair took a day. The error has since not re-appeared.

There is a possibility it could be more serious, however without a proper diagnosis, you won't know the full extent.
Hello,

Do you know which part they have replaced? :hi:
PoloRolo
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 3 months
Car Model: Golf 7.5 R-Line

Post by PoloRolo »

Was told it was a "gear selector part" it was done through the interior of the car - literally the gear shift area. The was no need to strip the entire dash/mechantronics which I was told would be the worst-case scenario if replacing mechantronics.

Monitor it for the next few days to see how often it happens then take it from there.
jaunrothner
Cadet

Post by jaunrothner »

PoloRolo wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:04 pm Was told it was a "gear selector part" it was done through the interior of the car - literally the gear shift area. The was no need to strip the entire dash/mechantronics which I was told would be the worst-case scenario if replacing mechantronics.

Monitor it for the next few days to see how often it happens then take it from there.
Thanks...will do.
sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

It's a gear selector, common on MK7 GTI. Error pops up and disappear in matter of seconds

Had mine replaced in May. VW they are aware of this issue

You will not experience any problems driving but it's always better to have the issue taken off

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
jaunrothner
Cadet

Re: 2016 Polo 6c GTI DSG

Post by jaunrothner »

sbu.mah wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:29 pm It's a gear selector, common on MK7 GTI. Error pops up and disappear in matter of seconds

You will not experience any problems driving but it's always better to have the issue taken off

Thanks...Starting to wonder why VW don't do a recall and fix this if they are "aware of this issue" :crazy:
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Re: 2016 Polo 6c GTI DSG

Post by amstel18 »

jaunrothner wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:35 am
sbu.mah wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:29 pm It's a gear selector, common on MK7 GTI. Error pops up and disappear in matter of seconds

Thanks...Starting to wonder why VW don't do a recall and fix this if they are "aware of this issue" :crazy:
Recalls cost money, it's cheaper to fix the few that come in as a warranty claim, and they make even more money once out of warranty.
Guess that's why they still sticking to the 3 year warranty and not extending it like the rest of the manufacturers.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
jaunrothner
Cadet

Post by jaunrothner »

Strange but true...
EvanZA
Enlisted
Car Model: Polo 6C GTI

Post by EvanZA »

Had mine replaced last year, this morning I got the message again.
Will have to Book it in again. Hopefully it's now only a wiring issue?
CURRENT: MY15 Polo 6c GTi

Ex:
Renaultsport Clio Gordini Series
Renaultsport Megane F1
MK2 Golf GTi 2E MP9
jaunrothner
Cadet

Post by jaunrothner »

Keep us updated please, on my car they said it was the "brake booster switch" which needed to be replaced.
EvanZA
Enlisted
Car Model: Polo 6C GTI

Post by EvanZA »

jaunrothner wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:13 pm Keep us updated please, on my car they said it was the "brake booster switch" which needed to be replaced.
Car went in and scanned for faults. But they not picking it up. :crazy:
the warning hasnt come back yet...
CURRENT: MY15 Polo 6c GTi

Ex:
Renaultsport Clio Gordini Series
Renaultsport Megane F1
MK2 Golf GTi 2E MP9
sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

EvanZA wrote:
jaunrothner wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:13 pm Keep us updated please, on my car they said it was the "brake booster switch" which needed to be replaced.
Car went in and scanned for faults. But they not picking it up. :crazy:
the warning hasnt come back yet...
It will not show any errors on the scanner. I took a pic (very difficult as the error message post for few second) - and showed the dealer. And they simply said they know about it.

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
marcleo44
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 3 months

Post by marcleo44 »

My 2014 Polo DSG is out of warranty and NTT is now quoting me R20k for the part only! 3 months ago the same dealership fixed my mechatronic unit which was closed to R40k. They did that through a goodwill claim. Anyone know what I can do regarding this? I am trying to trade in the car but because of this issue I am not getting good premiums for a new car. Going to a normal trendline manual polo will cost me R1000 more per month :(
TimeShifter
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: 2012 Mk6 GTi
Membership No: missing

Post by TimeShifter »

Looks like after so many years of R&D the DSG gearbox is still problematic. Resale values are going to plummet as no one will touch a DSG out of warrantee.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

2012 VW Golf Mk6 GTi
[color=#0000FF]Chuck Norris[/color] wrote: Wadup TimeShifter! Will you please teach me how to do that round house kick again?
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

TimeShifter wrote:Looks like after so many years of R&D the DSG gearbox is still problematic. Resale values are going to plummet as no one will touch a DSG out of warrantee.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Not the case though, 10-12+ year old G5 GTi DSGs are still holding value. If you're referring to the DQ200, then yes definitely, they're terrible boxes in comparison and should be avoided.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

MK2 G60
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Car Make: vw
Membership No: 388

Post by MK2 G60 »

On the mk7 the system would pickup a faulty park switch in the gear lever unit of 6c polo it will not as they function different in regards to signals.
On some units you replace the complete mechanism on some just the switch.
Each case has to be checked first as it could be switch in mechanism wires/plugs etc that can give the .
G60 16V GOLF

WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS HOW WE LIVED.

IT IS NOT UNSAFE IT IS OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

ALDO IS THE MAN WITH A GUN.
THATS HOW WE ROLL [SAINT-J]
GTS KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A STICKER.
MKS7VEN
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 10 months

Post by MKS7VEN »

Hi guys :hi:

I recently began having this issue. The error pops up sometimes for a few seconds, other times for a few minutes, then disappears. The car seems to be driving fine, shifting fine, although like a week ago while hammering it the error did pop up again for about 10 minutes. I have read online that this error appearing in this fashion is to do with the gear level selector switch or something. My car's out of warranty but only doing 47000kms. I've kept her stock (love what the GTI is about) and tried my best to maintain her well. She's at the dealership now, if they tell me it is that gear selector switch, how much can I expect the quote to be? What other options do I have to repair it? I am in Cape Town. I have read online that some dudes just live with it and nothing's happened for years after.

I have tried to get VW to do my DSG service under the service plan, but they have been refusing as they changed their policy where the car has to be doing 60000kms irrespective of year model. This was really annoying. Could that have any bearing on the current issue I have?

Thanks for taking the time to read. Any replies or suggestions will be appreciated.
sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

MKS7VEN wrote:Hi guys :hi:

I recently began having this issue. The error pops up sometimes for a few seconds, other times for a few minutes, then disappears. The car seems to be driving fine, shifting fine, although like a week ago while hammering it the error did pop up again for about 10 minutes. I have read online that this error appearing in this fashion is to do with the gear level selector switch or something. My car's out of warranty but only doing 47000kms. I've kept her stock (love what the GTI is about) and tried my best to maintain her well. She's at the dealership now, if they tell me it is that gear selector switch, how much can I expect the quote to be? What other options do I have to repair it? I am in Cape Town. I have read online that some dudes just live with it and nothing's happened for years after.

I have tried to get VW to do my DSG service under the service plan, but they have been refusing as they changed their policy where the car has to be doing 60000kms irrespective of year model. This was really annoying. Could that have any bearing on the current issue I have?

Thanks for taking the time to read. Any replies or suggestions will be appreciated.
See attachment

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
MKS7VEN
Enlisted

Post by MKS7VEN »

Hi Sbu.Mah

Thank you for your response! Good lord that is a HEFTY bill. If the quote I get is that much I honestly don't know if I should just rather live with it.
sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

MKS7VEN wrote:Hi Sbu.Mah

Thank you for your response! Good lord that is a HEFTY bill. If the quote I get is that much I honestly don't know if I should just rather live with it.
How often does the error message come up.

I know most guys are not bothered by it and for some who fix it - it comes back again.

Sent from my SM-A015F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
MKS7VEN
Enlisted

Post by MKS7VEN »

It comes up maybe once or twice a week.

If I paid that much to repair it and it recurred, I'd be properly miffed. The thing is if I decide to sell, then that error message is gonna be a problem.

Could that error message denote something other than just the gear selector switch? Do you suggest I just pay for a DSG service?
sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

MKS7VEN wrote:It comes up maybe once or twice a week.

If I paid that much to repair it and it recurred, I'd be properly miffed. The thing is if I decide to sell, then that error message is gonna be a problem.

Could that error message denote something other than just the gear selector switch? Do you suggest I just pay for a DSG service?
Its just the gear selector, I've yet to hear of any serious issues related or caused by this. There's a long thread on www.golfmk7.com we're some guys have been driving their cars with this issue for years.

I know in the US there was a recall to get this fixed but unfortunately not here.

I fixed mine cause the car it's still under warranty, and I find any error message irritating.

The DSG service for me its a must but it won't fix the problem

Sent from my SM-A015F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
MKS7VEN
Enlisted

Post by MKS7VEN »

Thank you for the response.
They've quoted me R4700 to fix it. If I decide not to go ahead then the diagnostic fee of R1500 will still apply.
The guarantee is 12 months.

Any idea how much is a DSG service out of service plan?
Hlangi
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 4 months

Post by Hlangi »

Sorry to hijack your post

2013 Polo automatic shifter cable detached from the gearbox due to a bad bushing, cable has since been re attached.

However gear lever is stuck on the park position and gear engaged does not display on the gear lever and lcd display on the dash.

When moved with the emergency button the gear lever moves but transmission shakes when the Drive and Reverse gears engage

I thought it was the brake sensor switch since the press foot brake light on dash has also disappeared, but the brake light comes on when brake is pressed.