Fitting and wiring towbar onto Mk4

VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Fitting and wiring towbar onto Mk4

Post by VAG Fan »

I bought a Bosal towbar for my Mk4 Golf some time ago from another Mk4 Golf owner on the forum. I would like to fit it, and would appreciate your advice on these points:

Mechanical:
1) It didn't come with any screws. Does one use the existing screws?
2) Does one need to remove anything from the existing bumper (bracket, stiffener...), or is the towbar simply added to what's already there?
3) The seller said that a small notch had to be cut into the lower apron of the bumper. Any tips on doing this neatly?

Electrical:
4) The wiring loom on the towbar was simply cut, probably at the point where it exits the chassis. Is there a suitable entry point, e.g. grommet in the boot floor?
5) I can solder, heat-shrink and wrap a loom. The question is where best to do this, e.g. on the tail light connectors? Or does the factory loom actually have a prepared point at which one can tap the various circuits?
6) Will the additional loads create any problems with any control modules or fuses?
7) AFAIK the towbar only has one wire for both tail lights and one for both brake lights (not one each per side). Can I connect these to a single tail light or brake light?

8.) Any other pearls of wisdom welcome. :)
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Fitting and wiring towbar onto Mk4

Post by panic-mechanic »

towbar 'usually' just replaces the bumper stiffener so you reuse the bolts yes. tips for cutting the bumper - measure twice - cut once.

Golf4 already had some form of canbus and globe checking so you Might have to get some sort of adapter that fixes that - you buy them at fitment places that does towbars but it is worth a shot to connect it to the loom directly and see if it complains.
i Vaguely remember mine having a wiring mess after I had a towbar fittted and just fixing it by the usualy way of direct connection.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Re: Fitting and wiring towbar onto Mk4

Post by VAG Fan »

Baie dankie, meneer.

I have googled standard wiring diagrams and found that only the brake lights are combined on one pin. The tail lights are on separate pins.

So if the Mk4 does check brake lights, this might get interesting, because on the one side, 3 x 21W brake lights = 63W, which is 5 to 6A, while the other side would only draw 2A.

We shall see.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -