VW Technician

sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK7 GTI

VW Technician

Post by sbu.mah »

I dropped my car at VW upon requesting them to look at what might be causing the whinning noise that's RPM related

And as expected was told to come pick up the car as they can't hear anything or pick up any logged issues via diagnostic machine. Then I requested that I come over drive the car with the technician just to confirm if I'm not paranoid, did that and bang now he can hear the noise all of a sudden.

Get told its normal (heard that many times before), simply ask him to hop into one of the MK7 GTI parked to confirm, story changes he will now have a proper look at it. Comes back, now it's a soundaktor - kindly asked him to set it to zero and take a car for another drive. Get ask how do I know you can do that (simply answer that's irrelevant). We go for the drive and the noise persist (soundaktor ruled out).

Final answer they don't know but definitely it's not the turbo as they don't have any failed turbos on the post 2016 models (maybe I'm expected to find comfort in that). I just need to monitor the car and see if it gets worse.

My frustration is, it seems to me that it's a universal answer from VW technicians to just say they can't hear or pick up anything until something seriously go wrong.

I might be wrong but I cannot accept that there's nothing wrong with a car that had no such issue before.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 14 years
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Re: VW Technician

Post by Belix »

Don't think it's just VW, had similar experiences from Toyota and GM.
I once recorded a noise, and played through the car radio for a Toyota tech, only for him to ask if the sound only happens when the radio is on...
Hotdubz
General
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Model: Golf 7R

Post by Hotdubz »

sbu.mah wrote:I dropped my car at VW upon requesting them to look at what might be causing the whinning noise that's RPM related

And as expected was told to come pick up the car as they can't hear anything or pick up any logged issues via diagnostic machine. Then I requested that I come over drive the car with the technician just to confirm if I'm not paranoid, did that and bang now he can hear the noise all of a sudden.

Get told its normal (heard that many times before), simply ask him to hop into one of the MK7 GTI parked to confirm, story changes he will now have a proper look at it. Comes back, now it's a soundaktor - kindly asked him to set it to zero and take a car for another drive. Get ask how do I know you can do that (simply answer that's irrelevant). We go for the drive and the noise persist (soundaktor ruled out).

Final answer they don't know but definitely it's not the turbo as they don't have any failed turbos on the post 2016 models (maybe I'm expected to find comfort in that). I just need to monitor the car and see if it gets worse.

My frustration is, it seems to me that it's a universal answer from VW technicians to just say they can't hear or pick up anything until something seriously go wrong.

I might be wrong but I cannot accept that there's nothing wrong with a car that had no such issue before.

What car is it? I also have a whining noise that is rev related and I am going to have them check what it is.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

Mk7 Gti

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
Hotdubz
General

Post by Hotdubz »

Please keep us posted. I'll let you know what the guys say when I take my car in.

sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

Hotdubz wrote:Please keep us posted. I'll let you know what the guys say when I take my car in.

Will do, if I'm not mistaken yours is 7R

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
Hotdubz
General

Post by Hotdubz »

Yeah 7R

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

if you in JHB try Morne Lourens at Hatfield VW randburg.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
sbu.mah
Cadet

Post by sbu.mah »

panic-mechanic wrote:if you in JHB try Morne Lourens at Hatfield VW randburg.
Thanks Panic, I'm live in Roodepoort so will ask him to assist

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
Hotdubz
General

Post by Hotdubz »

sbu.mah wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:52 am
panic-mechanic wrote:if you in JHB try Morne Lourens at Hatfield VW randburg.
Thanks Panic, I'm live in Roodepoort so will ask him to assist

He's the man! Let me know what he says.
Abdullah
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by Abdullah »

sbu.mah wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:57 pm I dropped my car at VW upon requesting them to look at what might be causing the whinning noise that's RPM related

I actually wonder how these guys call themselves technicians, they dont even try to find the fault or hear your complaints but rather want to make you look crazy or making up things. When my sunroof in the G7 was rattling the tech told me its because i have 19 inch wheels on, so i put the stock wheels back on and the rattle persisted he said its because the 19s already did the damage, so i asked him what about the 7s that were ordered with 19s like the clubsport and he couldnt answer.
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Post by Trishen94 »

[/quote]

I actually wonder how these guys call themselves technicians, they dont even try to find the fault or hear your complaints but rather want to make you look crazy or making up things. When my sunroof in the G7 was rattling the tech told me its because i have 19 inch wheels on, so i put the stock wheels back on and the rattle persisted he said its because the 19s already did the damage, so i asked him what about the 7s that were ordered with 19s like the clubsport and he couldnt answer.
[/quote]

Lmao that's a hot 1 bud ...i would have loved to see the look on that guys face
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Most of them rely on scantools to aid with issues..

Unfortunately a scan tool can't hear rattles and stuff

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving: