Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: ABF CADDY 118wkw@8vPerformance

Vin tag on a 87 mk1 caddy

Post by Huzi022 »

Hi guys..
Need some advice.
Looking to buy an 87 mk1 caddy..theres no vin tag on the cradle but the owner says its stamped on the body.

Any advice ?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Re: Vin tag on a 87 mk1 caddy

Post by Jetta2 »

Look directly behind the carb on the rain tray.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Huzi022 wrote:Hi guys..
Need some advice.
Looking to buy an 87 mk1 caddy..theres no vin tag on the cradle but the owner says its stamped on the body.

Any advice ?

87's must have the tag on the rad support. If its not there you have problems. They weren't stamped on the valence tray behind the carb, that was from around 1990 onwards.

There is another tag under the dash behind the cluster, but its only a VIN tag and doesn't have the GVM info, etc, on it.

If you buy the car you will definitely need to have it cleared buy SAPS, and if you are lucky they will only stamp a case number on to the shock turret. If not you will end up with AAPV VIN number for the car or worse.

Don't trust the log book, you want to see the original tag under the dash AND the correct one on the rad support.

The seller could also take the vehicle for clearance before selling and provide a certificate that it's legit.

Excuses are dirty rotten lies, when it comes to buying cars, if you hear them it means the seller is dodgy, walk away.

If on the other hand they guy is accommodating and helpful work with him to buy the car, Caddy's are more fun than a barrel full of monkeys.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Huzi022
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 8 months
Car Model: ABF CADDY 118wkw@8vPerformance

Post by Huzi022 »

Thanks guys...@missioner i figured yeah.
Had a lot of rust either way.

175SBU
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months
Car Model: MK1 1.4i, MK2 CSi

Post by 175SBU »

Well spoken missioner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

175SBU wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:13 am Well spoken missioner ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:iagree:
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Always a pleasure.

Cheers
EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Model: 2014 Jetta 6 TDi DSG.
Membership No: 712

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

missioner wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:32 am 87's must have the tag on the rad support. If its not there you have problems. They weren't stamped on the valence tray behind the carb, that was from around 1990 onwards.
Dunno about that, my 1980 Mk1 2 door has a metal tag on the slam tray and the VIN clearly stamped on the face of my raintray.
Kirpalz white MK1 2 door is the same AFAIK.
2014 - VW Jetta 6 - 1.6 TDi DSG
2000 - VW Golf 3.5 Cabrio - 2.0
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503
MK1 Build Register: https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=192835
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/projectkirschwasser/

Racing is meant for the RACE track - deal with it...
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

EX-DOHCTOR wrote:
missioner wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:32 am 87's must have the tag on the rad support. If its not there you have problems. They weren't stamped on the valence tray behind the carb, that was from around 1990 onwards.
Dunno about that, my 1980 Mk1 2 door has a metal tag on the slam tray and the VIN clearly stamped on the face of my raintray.
Kirpalz white MK1 2 door is the same AFAIK.
Two doors possibly are an exception.

I don't have many in my area, the owners don't take them out much either, too much "jealous people" in my town, nice cars get damaged when parked at the shops.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

My 86 Caddy has the tag on slam tray and at driverside airvent inside. My ex 1980 GTS had tag inside at drivers air vent and punched in vin behind carb. My ex1997 Caddy had tag inside at right airvent and vin number stamped on upperside of raintray where the coil sits. I’ve seen early 90’s models Caddy’s and Golfies where the tag was on the inner fender area on the rightside just infront of the shock tower. Seems that VWSA has changed the location of the tag and stamped vin to different locations over some year models. As long as it is there and not tampered with and has the one behind the rightside airvent, there should not be any issues.

If the one on the slamtray was removed as a result of a crashed frontend/slamtray and replaced and you have picture evidence of the replacement, it should not post any issues during registration as long as evidence is provided and tag inside behind the right side airvent is still original and not tampered with.
EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Model: 2014 Jetta 6 TDi DSG.
Membership No: 712

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

See, this is why I dont get people cutting the rain trays out of their daily drivers.

On a race car, yes.
On a drag car, yes
On a show and shine queen (that is trailered to events and doesn't get driven), no... but also yes.

On a daily driver on the roads in this country with our metro "police" force - no, no, no.
2014 - VW Jetta 6 - 1.6 TDi DSG
2000 - VW Golf 3.5 Cabrio - 2.0
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503
MK1 Build Register: https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=192835
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/projectkirschwasser/

Racing is meant for the RACE track - deal with it...
Lo & Slo_Bunny
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 3 months
Car Model: Golf Mk1

Post by Lo & Slo_Bunny »

MY 82 4Door also got the vin stamped on the raintray
Cebisa
Enlisted
Registered for: 14 days

Post by Cebisa »

Hi everyone

I recently bought a 2005 Vw velociti 1.6i the square rear light model. Only problem is that my car doesn’t have a VIN tag inside the engine bay and it doesn’t have the cradle VIN tag but it does have the number on the rain tray and it does have the tag under the dashboard by the driver. The engine does correspond with the paper.

I spoke to a local policeman who told me to go to SAPS 13 in Lenasia and the will lock a number to the body of the body of the car. My only fear with that is it will depreciate the value of the car when I do sell in the future