Registered for: 11 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK2 Jetta CSX
Membership No: 1914

Advice for new Car

Post by GT08 »

Hi,

I have a 1992 Mk2 Jetta.

My Jetta is modded quite far with a 2.0L ADY with Perfect Power XMS 5b.
I have a branch and exhaust and bigger brakes and a lot more. I regularly took the Jetta to events like Tarlton and Zwarkops and hillclimbs.

After a lot of issues I think its time to move on and look for something else. The garage where I used to work on my car is not available any more so I cannot do a lot of big work on any car.

So I want a newer car that is not too new as this will be difficult to mod and will be expensive.

Now to my question. I am thinking of buying a Mk4 or Mk5 with the intention to maybe do an exhaust and intake as mods. There might be some track time in the works if I feel the new car is up to the task.

Are there any pitfalls to the Mk4/5 that I might not realise now? A mk4 is at least 10 years younger then my car, but still remains a 15 year old model.

Are there any cars that you guys can recommend that are not that expensive and easy to self service with the potential to at least add an exhaust?

Thanks in advance
Current:
2012 Audi A3 8p Sportback 1.8TFSI (CDA)
Currently Stock

Ex:
1992 Jetta MK2 CSX 2.0l ADY
2.0L 8v ADY, OEM G-Cam
Perfect Power XMS 5B-8A
70wkw 144nm
4-in-1 Cowely Branches, PowerFlow 63mm Stainless Steel FF, 76mm X-Force Stainless Steel Exhuast Tip
Greenz
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Focus ST

Re: Advice for new Car

Post by Greenz »

A budget would help..
2010 ST225 - 238kw 439nm
GT08
Cadet

Post by GT08 »

Greenz wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:13 pm A budget would help..
Sorry, was thinking I should add it. I was thinking about R 100 000 max.
I have seen some Mk4 between R 40 000 and R 90 000 so the upper bound of a nice Mk4 would help
Current:
Currently Stock

Ex:
2.0L 8v ADY, OEM G-Cam
Perfect Power XMS 5B-8A
70wkw 144nm
4-in-1 Cowely Branches, PowerFlow 63mm Stainless Steel FF, 76mm X-Force Stainless Steel Exhuast Tip
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

you could probably get a golf 5 for that but it will need some work most likely.

BUT i have a friend selling a VERY good condition A3 2l TFSI - so basically the same a mk5. Car is perfect - motor relatively recently rebuilt - really nothing you need to do. new tyres. Come pop past. It will fit in your budget. Makes 220 HP on my dyno.
whatsapp me on 0615076017 then I'll forward you some basic pics.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years 1 month
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

R100k will get you a decent Polo or Ibiza TDi, possibly even the 1.8T Cupra, big potential
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 3 months
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Post by billionairebum »

I would look at a Cupra/Ibiza or Sportline if you want to do some track days. Look at the A3 if you want to be sensible.
GT08
Cadet

Post by GT08 »

billionairebum wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:48 am I would look at a Cupra/Ibiza or Sportline if you want to do some track days. Look at the A3 if you want to be sensible.
MarshallGTi wrote: R100k will get you a decent Polo or Ibiza TDi, possibly even the 1.8T Cupra, big potential
I did not think of SEAT, thanks will see what I can find on the internet. I was looking at some 2007 Polo GTI's, the 1.8l 20v T seems like a good deal for 110kw at about R 100k
Current:
Currently Stock

Ex:
2.0L 8v ADY, OEM G-Cam
Perfect Power XMS 5B-8A
70wkw 144nm
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years 1 month
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

I'm biased but i prefer the Seats, petrol CUpra is 132kw vs PGTI's 110kw, and TDI Cupra is something like 118kw vs the Sportlines 96kw. when i was looking at both, insurance on an Ibiza was less than half that of a Polo, so check that as well. Only issue is finding replacement body parts/lights/interior bits has become very tricky, whereas Polo spares are everywhere. just my 2 cents
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...