FUEL STARVATION AND ACCELERATION

missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: FUEL STARVATION AND ACCELERATION

Post by missioner »

Lo & Slo_Bunny wrote:I will try to check if there is leak by the manifolds. But anyway do you think the carb might be a problem
Hard to say without physically being with the car and experiencing the problem.

Keep on fault finding. It will take time and be difficult at times, but you will be able to work it out eventually.

Start at the basics and don't overlook even seemingly simple things, the most basic stuff can cause huge headaches.

Lastly get solid information and measure as much as you can, it will help isolate the issue to one area. What I mean is do testing of each component of a system in order to eliminate it. Even unrelated things may be involved.

Take this as an example, during the 90's there was a batch of Citi's that had faulty fuel tank ventilation, causing a fuel starvation problem and in extreme cases badly damaged fuel tanks. How it was identified was by driving a short distance and opening the fuel cap. If it sucked in air it meant it wasn't equalising the air pressure inside it with the atmosphere. In short it could build up enough negative pressure inside the tank to make the fuel pump unable to draw fuel from the tank. The car would run out of fuel and the guage said plenty. The final solution was to drill a small hole just inside the top of the filler neck.

Try driving the car without the fuel cap for a bit and see if your problem persists. I'm not sure if this is your problem, but its worth a try.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Lo & Slo_Bunny
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 2 months
Car Model: Golf Mk1

Post by Lo & Slo_Bunny »

Thanks Missioner I managed to get the car running well today. This past week I didn't work on it because nobody wanted me to put my carb on their car for testing. But today I took the carb out again and stripped every little piece and to my shock the thing under the first stage jet(I dont know what it's called but it usually come out when the first stage jet is out)....i put a needle into it and that thing was dirty it had like black oil inside.So I replaced it with another one from my other broken carb. When I took the car for a ride...she was running perfect. So thanks a lot guy, I really appreciate your help
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Shot man.

I'm glad to see you finally got to the bottom of the problem.

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

I'm trying to figure out what this "thing" under the jet could have been... Always keen to learn about carbs. Could you describe it?
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -