Ko3 to Ko3S turbo upgrade

kubenmd@gmail.com
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Ko3 to Ko3S turbo upgrade

Post by kubenmd@gmail.com »

Hi All,
i currently have a jetta 4 1.8T AGU motor (110kw) version with a downpipe only.

i am looking upgrading the turbo from the standard ko3 to ko3s.

i know this may not be a big jump, but its my daily driver and i want a little more power.

i am gonna do software remap with the upgrade. i am also looking at maybe putting in a bigger intercooler in the front.

i am looking to do minimal changes as possible (due to limited funds), hence the ko3s upgrade as i beleive its a straight bolt on.

what would i be looking at cost wise for the upgrade excluding the software remap?

i am no expert, but the liitle i think i know is all based on reading other threads/forums,

any help and advise will be highly appreciated.
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Re: Ko3 to Ko3S turbo upgrade

Post by Jetta2 »

Software cost? Speak to software supply people. Anywhere between R2000 and R6000 for a remap.

If I remember correctly, you will need the K03S intake pipe as well because the Ko3 one is smaller. Not sure if my info is correct, maybe someone can chime in with better info.

Or you can just do software on the stock turbo setup and get decent gains and not have to pay for a K03S, intercooler, etc. Unless you already have the items or can get them for a very good price.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
kubenmd@gmail.com
Enlisted

Hi Jetta2,
software is R2500.
yes i also believe i need the Intake Pipe.
i don't have any parts, wanted to know more or less what the conversion would cost me (that's with buying the ko3s turbo etc).
initially i was only going to do the remap, but not sure how big of a difference i would feel by just doing that, hence looking at going ko3s with software, I'm sure i will feel the power gains.
Ageless_ZA
Storm Trooper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months
Car Make: SEAT
Car Model: LEON CUPRA
Membership No: 1906

Post by Ageless_ZA »

Your biggest drawback is the AGU motor's ECU. You cannot simply "flash" it via the OBD port. It has to be bench flashed. Or do standalone management.

You're opening a door to headaches. I would personally do a full engine/ECU swop to an AUQ motor and ECU.

Current Rides:
2008 SEAT Leon Cupra Stage 2
2008 Tiguan 2.0TDi 4Motion (Stage 1/Daily)

Exes:
2008 SEAT Leon FR Stage 3 (Hybrid K04)
2004 Stage 2 MK4 GTi
2007 Stage 2 MK5 Jetta Sportline
2008 Stage 3 SEAT Ibiza Cupra 20vT
2008 BMW 520D M-Sport
2008 Stage 2+ REVO SEAT Leon Cupra
2008 Stage 3 MK5 GTi
2006 Stage 1 Audi B6 1.8T
2001 Stage 1 MK4 TDi
1984 16v MK2 Throttled
1991 Audi 90 Cabriolet
kubenmd@gmail.com
Enlisted

Hi Firestrm,
wow this sounds like another can of worms that i did not for see.

i really don't understand what it means to be "benched flashed" or too do a "standalone management", i guess i need to research this area now..
so when you say do a full engine/ECU swap to AUQ motor, u mean literally swap out the engine? if so that sounds like alot more work and costs than what i actually wanted too do by changing the turbo to ko3s... LOL
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Bench flashing means the ECU must be removed from the car and then the tuner will hook up his equipment to it while it is on his desk/bench/floor.
Standalone management is installing a completely new ECU and wiring. Perfect Power, Gotech, Dicktator, Spitronics, Shinobi, Motec, Motronic, Haltech, AEM, etc, all make aftermarket management systems.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
kubenmd@gmail.com
Enlisted

Hi Jetta2,
spoke to the guy who would do the remap and he advised that he will remove the ECU prgram it and put it back.
so i guess that handles that?
he also said that i rather go straight Ko4 conversion, which should be around R15k with new injectors...
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

You can get your current turbo modified to be ko3S without any of the plumbing issues. Speak to gaby at fastec turbo. Cost last time was around R5500 when I had one done for somebody.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Kubenmd, which software house did you contact about doing the software flash for you btw?
Panic has given you a good point direction to take, contact Gaby as i heard good things about him and plenty of guys here recommend him.

I notice that your location does not state where you located and note that some shops are closing for the festive season and will re-open in January.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
22irwin.mercure
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 6 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3

Post by 22irwin.mercure »

kubenmd@gmail.com wrote:Hi Jetta2,
software is R2500.
yes i also believe i need the Intake Pipe.
i don't have any parts, wanted to know more or less what the conversion would cost me (that's with buying the ko3s turbo etc).
initially i was only going to do the remap, but not sure how big of a difference i would feel by just doing that, hence looking at going ko3s with software, I'm sure i will feel the power gains.
Hi, may I ask who is doing software on the AGU for 2500? Are you based in Durban?

Sent from my m1 note using Tapatalk