sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Driving a DSG

Post by sbu.mah »

This might sound like a noob question but have driven only manuals till now,

On a DSG when stopping the car be it in traffic or robots, does one have to shift to neutral or just leave it on D1. I have noticed that when on D1 the car makes a noise different to when it's on neutral. Also is the gear engaged even though the car is completely stopped but on D1, and will that not put the strain on the clutch

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 14 years
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Re: Driving a DSG

Post by Belix »

I've noticed that the instantaneous fuel consumption reading is higher when leaving it in drive, which makes me think there is still some clutch contact. I usually shift to neutral if I'm going to be stopped for more than a few seconds.

Just be sure to change back to drive 2 seconds or so before you plan to pull off or you get a rather unpleasant pull off as the clutch engages with an engine already being accelerated.

Then remember you're not in drive. Gets a bit embarrassing when you rev the car at the green light and go nowhere...

Lastly, the car let's you shift from neutral to drive when the car is stopped or above a certain speed, but not in between, so if the car rolls forward, you sometimes need to brake to a stop again before you can engage drive, again potentially making you look like a tonsil in traffic...
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

Alot make this mistake , but you only suppose to use drive when the car is moving,

Shouldn't use drive it to hold the car or while the car is at a complete standstill - especially with a dry clutch DSG

This does make the DSG the worst in stop and go traffic.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

I just leave it in Drive......
Mass
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by Mass »

ICE King wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:56 am Alot make this mistake , but you only suppose to use drive when the car is moving,

Shouldn't use drive it to hold the car or while the car is at a complete standstill - especially with a dry clutch DSG

I have the dry clutch DSG and when I fully depress the break pedal at a standstill the revs drop, almost like the clutches have been disengaged. When releasing the break pedal it takes a moment to engage the clutches and pull away.
G-spot
Committee Member
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Audi S3 Sedan
Membership No: 1215

Post by G-spot »

ICE King wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:56 am Alot make this mistake , but you only suppose to use drive when the car is moving,

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I call BS
Grant Hendry
Membership no.:1215

Current:
2016 Audi S3 Sedan
1978 VW Golf 1100 GL
Ex:
2012 VW Golf GTI Edition 35
2007 VW Golf GTI
2006 Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
2012 VW Polo GTI
ICE King
Cadet

Post by ICE King »

G-spot wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:13 pm

I call BS
Elaborate?

My explanation was for longer rather than quick stopping periods.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Drive it like an auto but avoid brake creeping.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Mass
Enlisted

Post by Mass »

ICE King wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:20 pm

I call BS
Elaborate?

I don't think any manufacturer can reasonably expect a driver to constantly move their auto transmission (whether DSG or otherwise) to neutral during each stop, hence the clutch disengaging when fully depressing the brake while in drive.
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Belix »

But not when stopped with handbrake on, and foot off the brake?
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

So when you slowing down to a robot until you reach a complete stop, the clutches will be active for a short period (2-3 sec). By staying on the brake the box goes into neutral on its own (will idle under 1000rpm). When of the brake the clutches engage within milli-seconds and the revv gauge will move to around 1000 rpm.

There was once a guy that ran a scan on the DQ200 DSG box, even by depressing the brake pedal one of the clutches still remained active (biting). So yes the manufacturer has accounted for the disengaging clutch at a stop but its not a 100% disengaged. I personally prefer putting my car into N (night mode) while at a robot. But during traffic driving I keep it in D (Day mode) as I'm forgetful & don't want to roll into the back of someone when trying to pull off in N.

Further, as Panic said don't creep forward at all and keep yourself disciplined with this- It will ensure the cutch lasts as long as its suppose to and you will have a nice smooth changing box. Also, in traffic try your best to pull off in 1st gear- for those that don't know, the DQ200 loves being in 2nd gear. You could literally just hit the gas pedal and next thing bang you in the 2nd gear with almost no speed- so try and use the paddle on the left to force the car into 1st gear (don't be stupid with this- if you under 15-20km/h, I'm under the assumption that you have good judgement) and then pull off again at low speeds or slight incline
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
ICE King
Cadet

Post by ICE King »

Mass wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:03 pm

I call BS
Elaborate?

I don't think any manufacturer can reasonably expect a driver to constantly move their auto transmission (whether DSG or otherwise) to neutral during each stop, hence the clutch disengaging when fully depressing the brake while in drive.
Correct they dont, what I was trying to get across is to avoid partial clutch engagement which is a result of brake creeping as panic mentioned.
ICE King
Cadet

Post by ICE King »

Belix wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:40 pm But not when stopped with handbrake on, and foot off the brake?
Good question, but I think only the foot brake disengages the clutch and not the hand brake , but this behavior can differ car models with DSG and also can be manipulated by doing a DSG flash.

My replies was based on the behaviour of a Golf 6 GTI but can be different from say ,a Golf 7 GTI

Some can be faulty and not disengage.
Mass
Enlisted

Post by Mass »

Belix wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:40 pm But not when stopped with handbrake on, and foot off the brake?
Why would you drive like this if you have an automatic ...
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Belix »

Because I don't want to sneeze and rear end someone else when stopped?
jaunrothner
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 4 months
Car Model: 2016 Polo GTi DSG (6C

Post by jaunrothner »

ICE King wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:08 pm

I call BS
Elaborate?

Correct they dont, what I was trying to get across is to avoid partial clutch engagement which is a result of brake creeping as panic mentioned.
Hi,

What is "brake creeping" ?
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Leave it in D unless you know you are going to be stopped for a while and never brake creep.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

Here I thought driving an auto car should need no special instructions. 2 pedals over 3 still confusing :lol:
Last edited by dazza on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

dazza wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:13 am Here I thought driving an auto car should need no special instructions. 2 medals over 3 still confusing :lol:
It shouldn't but you can't treat a dual clutch automatic gearbox like a torque converter automatic gearbox.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

Neuk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:17 am
dazza wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:13 am Here I thought driving an auto car should need no special instructions. 2 medals over 3 still confusing :lol:
It shouldn't but you can't treat a dual clutch automatic gearbox like a torque converter automatic gearbox.
Cant say my driving or treating of my Dsg cars vs Torque converter gearbox cars has been any different. I am just trolling but maybe I did not understand the question/concern properly

#savethemanuals
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

The DSG we had in the Altea was pretty much get in and go... make sure it gets its oil changes and aim with your right foot!

None of this nuwerwedse kak, baby this baby that! Sure it had the oil cooled clutches.

When you get an auto for the wife you don't want to worry about crap like this... so I'll just skip the smaller DSGs then.
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

The thing is though - it isn't an auto. It's a manual gearbox (with two clutches) that is operated and shifted by electro hydraulic means.
So you need to treat it a bit like a manual to make it last.
One of the first things maybe somebody taught you when driving a manual is not to ride the clutch. So if you stand at a robot - keep the clutch depressed(this has a secondary long term effect of wearing thrust bearings in the engine but let's not go there) and engage the brakes or handbrake or stick it in neutral with the brakes on. Don't 'ride' the clutch to keep the car stationary.

Well now this is the same thing for DSG. When you stand still with your foot on the brake it will disengage the clutch and basically do the equivalent of sitting in gear with you foot fully on the clutch. As soon as you release the brake the electronics will try to apply the clutch and let the car move forward. IE the equivalent of you riding the clutch. Thus at that point you are incurring clutch plate wear. Once you at the speed where the need is not there to slip the clutch it is fully engaged like a manual with your foot off the clutch. When you slow down and it has geared down to second or first and if you keep slowing it down to the point where the engine would stall it will now start slipping the clutch again to accomodate your speed and if you have come to a standstill it will disengage.

Now a genuine auto box has for the connection between the engine and the gearbox a thing called a torque converter. There is no clutches in a torque converter to make it start or stop - the clutches in there is to do lockup which only occurs in gears like 4-th onward in audi and VW products mostly.
A torque converter has two sets of 'vanes' set in very close proximity and the area around them is filled with oil. When the driven vanes(attached to the engine side) speeds up the friction effect of the oil causes the vanes on the other side to be dragged along and thus drive is created in the gearbox. There is no actual components touching and thus no wear other than some heating of the oil and with age - breakdown of the fluid itself. So allowing the vehicle to slowly creep forward with you foot lightly on the brake has no wear effect on the torque converter and you can do it all the time for no penalty. IE brake creeping is what makes auto boxes great in traffic.

Once the vehicle is moving these days the torque converter will be locked up by a set of physical clutches and will then react like a clutch car - ie power transfer is direct with no slip from the vanes.

These are the Main differences in what distinguises the 'workings' of a dsg to an auto for what we care for in terms of longevity. If you allow a dsg car to creep slowly forward with your foot partially on the brake it is wearing the clutch set for gears 1,3,5,7 and with time they will be too thin for the system to get drive and then you get all kinds of issues or get locked into 2,4,6 gears only.
So it's really at slowing down and driving in traffic that you need to consider the workings of DSG. For any other times - yes sure it's an auto for all intents and purposes. If you drive it like an auto in traffic - expect to replace a set of clutches sooner than one that doesn't or that runs long distance.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

dazza wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:25 am
Cant say my driving or treating of my Dsg cars vs Torque converter gearbox cars has been any different. I am just trolling but maybe I did not understand the question/concern properly

#savethemanuals
panic describes it far better than I ever could, more care and thought needs to be taken when driving dual clutch automatic gear boxes as they are essentially automated manual gearboxes, where torque convert based gear boxes are a lot more forgiving of driving style or lack thereof.

Thanks for admitting you are a troll, many of us have always been suspicious based on your vertical challenged status :lol:
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

VGTI wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:32 am
The DSG we had in the Altea was pretty much get in and go... make sure it gets its oil changes and aim with your right foot!

None of this nuwerwedse kak, baby this baby that! Sure it had the oil cooled clutches.

When you get an auto for the wife you don't want to worry about crap like this... so I'll just skip the smaller DSGs then.
This, always and forever.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
ICE King
Cadet

Post by ICE King »

jaunrothner wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:17 am
ICE King wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:08 pm

Elaborate?

Hi,

What is "brake creeping" ?
See panic's reply, it's spot on.

Here's a quick real life example:

Bumper to bumper traffic while rolling:

In a manual , you accelerate , take foot off accelerating pedal, put the car in Neutral and use the brake to slow down the vehicle .

In a DSG , in drive mode and you partially braking to slow the car down but in essence means partial clutch engagement = equivalent of accelerating and braking at the same time in a manual which is not good long term.