cm101
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf 7 GTI

Upgrade from 5 to 7 GTI

Post by cm101 »

Hi

Struggling with the decision on whether to upgrade or not, hoping the community can assist.

Current vehicle spec:
08 GTi manual
153 000 k on the clock
Carbon clean done
Serviced at regular intervals

The car has been really good to me and I still love driving it. I'm at a point where I am no longer sure if it's worthwhile keeping it much longer. I have to replace brake discs, pads and possibly some suspension items. After an inspection at Dekra we found a significant amount of oil around the gearbox and possibly turbo. Whether this is due to sweat over the years or an actual leak I cant really tell. As for suspension something is definitely wrong as the vehicle is no longer as firm as it used to be and I hear multiple noises when going over bumps.

- Carbon clean done around 100 000 km. (As well as a faulty injector replacement)
- Ensured my cam follower is checked every service and replaced if needed.

Other than the above issues the vehicle has never given me any other problems to date.

The question is do I keep the vehicle (paid up) and repair the suspension and replace brakes etc? Or should I move on and look at a 2014/5 model 7 GTI?

Thanks
ace_the_house_cat
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Car Model: Mr Bean-Mobile
Membership No: missing

Re: Upgrade from 5 to 7 GTI

Post by ace_the_house_cat »

I'm in a similar situation with the TTS. I absolutely love it but I've decided not to do the R30k worth of maintenance needed (that comes with owning an old-ish car).
His: MINI JCW GP2
Hers: AUDI TT 3.2 Roadster
Ex: AUDI TTS Roadster
Ex: RenaultSport Megane RB8
Ex: RenaultSport Clio 4 EDC
Ex: RenaultSport Clio 3
Ex: MK3 Polo Playa
Mass
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Mass »

cm101 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:55 pm Hi

Struggling with the decision on whether to upgrade or not, hoping the community can assist.

Current vehicle spec:
08 GTi manual
153 000 k on the clock
Carbon clean done
Serviced at regular intervals

The car has been really good to me and I still love driving it. I'm at a point where I am no longer sure if it's worthwhile keeping it much longer. I have to replace brake discs, pads and possibly some suspension items. After an inspection at Dekra we found a significant amount of oil around the gearbox and possibly turbo. Whether this is due to sweat over the years or an actual leak I cant really tell. As for suspension something is definitely wrong as the vehicle is no longer as firm as it used to be and I hear multiple noises when going over bumps.

- Carbon clean done around 100 000 km. (As well as a faulty injector replacement)
- Ensured my cam follower is checked every service and replaced if needed.

Other than the above issues the vehicle has never given me any other problems to date.

The question is do I keep the vehicle (paid up) and repair the suspension and replace brakes etc? Or should I move on and look at a 2014/5 model 7 GTI?

Thanks
You need to weigh up whether the additional expense of monthly installments and much higher insurance premiums on a G7 GTi are worth the upgrade. Unless you're really itching to buy a new car or you want something marginally safer, its likely that a few grand or ten worth of maintenance on your G5 each year is much cheaper than splashing out on something newer.
NHB_R
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Membership No: missing

Post by NHB_R »

Get the 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Wow
You have a low kilo MK5 GTI there, sounds like a meant and clean example you have there.
So with every car that becomes 10 years of age, it will need some love and attention thing will need to replaced.

If you can afford installments and other expenses that a MK7 GTI comes with, then go ahead and buy yourself a new set of wheels.
It all boils down to your decision.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Le Clue
Field Marshal
Registered for: 14 years 6 months
Car Model: Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Membership No: 1458

Post by Le Clue »

Consider that the Mk7 is also way more economical. I think there comes a time when keeping a paid off car and maintaining it is not really worth it.
Previous Rides:
2016 VW Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
2011 VW Golf Mk6 R
2007 VW Golf Mk5 GTI
2013 VW Polo 6R GTI
2011 VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
2010 VW Golf Mk6 GTI
2007 VW Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
2009 VW CitiRox 1.6i
Mass
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Post by Mass »

Le Clue wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:36 am Consider that the Mk7 is also way more economical. I think there comes a time when keeping a paid off car and maintaining it is not really worth it.
That would depend on a few factors, key among which -

1. is the better economy of the MK7 offset by depreciation losses in the first year or two of ownership; and
2. is a well-kept MK5 really that expensive to maintain - perhaps make a spreadsheet of estimate costs of repair on common-problems on a MK5 GTi and see if those costs are more or less equal to the interest portion of your monthly installments on a MK7 (given that the interest portion doesn't go toward paying off the capital value of the MK7).
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

The 7 GTI is a better car in every respect except one in my opinion...interior build quality of the MKV was top class.
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
Jet Li
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Membership No: 3103

Post by Jet Li »

If you can afford it, I will suggest you buy the MK7 and keep the MK5 because its paid up already. In case you change your mind later and your old car will still be around and you can resell the Golf 7 instead. Hope it helps
'09 8P S3 Sportback (MT)
'10 B8 S4 V6T (DSG)
'15 6C GTi (MT)
sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

Will keep the MK5, that car is such a gem and they are very few that are still in a mint condition

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP