Velociti 1.4i Performance Upgrades

Schnitzer
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Velociti 1.4i Performance Upgrades

Post by Schnitzer »

Hi Guys

I have a Velociti 1.4i. I would have loved to own a 1.6i but just couldn't afford it. However I need some advice on how I can upgrade its performance, so I can feel as tho I am driving a 1.6i.

I have read the pervious post on a citi.com upgrade but can anyone of you guys can give me some more advice and even a few ppl I can speak too. I live in Joburg, midrand actually.

The areas that I would like to upgrade is

1) Air Filter
2) Branch
3) Exhaust System
4) Fuel Management Chip
5) Cam
6) Suspension

I have read a number of forums on the internet and heard some advice from friends that I should practice some caution on what changes I do to the car cos I might end up messing it up.

Thanks
Mervin
Super Stu
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: B7 A4 3.0TDI Avant Quattro
Membership No: 274

Post by Super Stu »

On the SO's .com we did the following

-SAC Wild cat branch: prize
-Life Cam: R500
-Perfect Power Piggy Back chip: R2000 approx
-Detrumpeted the air box: free

The chip was by far the best mod, we gained 10% max power, and even MORE in the mid range.

End result 79hp ATW at the Zwartkops dyno which is on par with a fair few 1.6i's.
Though saying that is has always been strong, even stock it used to make most power in the 1.4 class.
NT's .com needed a 272 cam before it got past the power made by the SO's .com.

Be warned though 99.99% of mods will void the warrenty.

A nice mod for improving the handling is a upper and lower front strut braces, and fitting a rear anti roll bar.

Things to avoid:
-Cone filters. loose up to 9hp
-After market flat panel filters. loose up to 2hp
-Adjustable fuel pressure regulators, does F all on a N/A car
-Tuners who say that they will get you 20% more power by turning the dizzy and upping the fuel pressure. Cause they are talking ****
-Too wild a cam as the Throttle body does not like it. And they are expensive to replace and will leave u on the side of the road.
-Shitty lowering kits.
2007 - Audi B7 A4 3.0TDi Avant Quattro Tiptronic
2005 - Porsche 911 (997.1) Carrera S
VW Challenge C 51
Revolution Racing Spanner boy
Schnitzer
Cadet

Post by Schnitzer »

Thanks Stu

I was worried about the warranty. What can I do to the car while still keeping the warranty, yet feel some difference. Please also explain what "Detrumpeted the air box: free" means.
Super Stu
VWCSA Member

Post by Super Stu »

Do a search on the BB its been discussed to death.
VW Challenge C 51
fismail
Lieutenant

Post by fismail »

Super Stu wrote:On the SO's .com we did the following

Things to avoid:
-Tuners who say that they will get you 20% more power by turning the dizzy and upping the fuel pressure. Cause they are talking ****
On aftermarket panel filters , if you detrumpet the airbox for eg in the old shape Polo like mine and Rinus , if you use the standard VW paper filter it tends to not last long , so why cant you use a flatpanel filter , mines 3 years old and still does its job perfectly well (since its cleaned regularly)

Robbie Ferroli plays around with AFPR and fuel pressure and what not.He does'nt guarantee any more power but he definitely play with these things to make the motor happier as does a lot of other tuners here in CT ...

Many a tuner has stated that for a VW motor to make nice power its displacement , air , fuel ...
98 VW Citi Golf Chico Lux - written off
99 VW Polo Classic - sold
01 BMW 320d/M sportpack / topaz blue - sold
01 BMW 325ci/M sportpack / topaz blue - sold
01 BMW 325i/M facelift sportpack / titan silver - writeoff
05 BMW 330d/A exclusive pack - mystic blue - current
Super Stu
VWCSA Member

Post by Super Stu »

fismail wrote:
Super Stu wrote:On the SO's .com we did the following

Things to avoid:
On aftermarket panel filters , if you detrumpet the airbox for eg in the old shape Polo like mine and Rinus , if you use the standard VW paper filter it tends to not last long , so why cant you use a flatpanel filter , mines 3 years old and still does its job perfectly well (since its cleaned regularly)

Robbie Ferroli plays around with AFPR and fuel pressure and what not.He does'nt guarantee any more power but he definitely play with these things to make the motor happier as does a lot of other tuners here in CT ...

Many a tuner has stated that for a VW motor to make nice power its displacement , air , fuel ...

On the dyno the flat panel filter made 1 less hp than the paper one, and considering that a GUD paper filter is like R40 it will take a lot of services to pay off a flat panel filter.

Adjust the fuel pressure if u like, I presonally only ever give 3 bar injectors 3 bar fuel pressure.
VW Challenge C 51
Schnitzer
Cadet

Post by Schnitzer »

Thanks Stu

I should have actually did a search before posting my question. It looks like there has been already a number of ppl wanting to know the same thing. I found some answers tho. In a nut shell, many them point to the conculsion that if you want to keep ur warranty, DONT PUT UR FINGERS UNDER THE BONNET.

Ahhh, well just gotta wait....
VW MAN
Major
Car Make: VW
Membership No: missing

Post by VW MAN »

Schnitzer wrote:Thanks Stu

I should have actually did a search before posting my question. It looks like there has been already a number of ppl wanting to know the same thing. I found some answers tho. In a nut shell, many them point to the conculsion that if you want to keep ur warranty, DONT PUT UR FINGERS UNDER THE BONNET.

Ahhh, well just gotta wait....
detrumpeting should be fine...havent seen a warranty void on that one yet :lol:
Current

'14 Golf 7 GTI DSG White
'09 Jetta 5 2.0TSI DSG, T/Red, DP, LED Lighting, HID kit

EX:

'12 Golf 6 GTI DSG, CW - Stock
'08 Golf 5 GTI T/Red - Revo2, 216HP, 409NM
'01
Golf 4 GTI - Dimsport, Koni, Powerflow
'08 Golf 5 1.9TDI T/Red
'05 Polo Classic 1.6i (written Off)
'01 Citi Golf Chico 1.4i
'85 Golf 2 GTI - 92.2HP, 138NM - K.A.R
'98 Jetta CLI Exec Full House
'83 Golf Mk1 1300 LS (First car)
VinceP83
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 4 months

Re: Velociti 1.4i Performance Upgrades

Post by VinceP83 »

Have a 1.4i Citi Rox. Or thats what i bought. When i got my car the 1st day could feel this not a 1.4 or standard unbelivable power as i driven a velocity before. I phoned owner to ask whats been done he said dont worrie enjoy it. Send it to a VW master on MK1. 8 Block. 276 CAM. Chip performance. SEAT Top rail and thortle. And other modsThe KW came to 104KW. The Guy said 1st time he saw it but bad ass. Will share all in detail on DMS
And thats why i can full the clocks 9on 5500rpms and And drive out of any Polo TSI and Golf TSI, Life not just 1st,2nd and 3rd but on Highway make them small in my Mirror. Love my MK1 and will drive it till wheels come off.
Rourke
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Velociti 1.4i Performance Upgrades

Post by Rourke »

VinceP83 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:09 am Have a 1.4i Citi Rox. Or thats what i bought. When i got my car the 1st day could feel this not a 1.4 or standard unbelivable power as i driven a velocity before. I phoned owner to ask whats been done he said dont worrie enjoy it. Send it to a VW master on MK1. 8 Block. 276 CAM. Chip performance. SEAT Top rail and thortle. And other modsThe KW came to 104KW. The Guy said 1st time he saw it but bad ass. Will share all in detail on DMS
And thats why i can full the clocks 9on 5500rpms and And drive out of any Polo TSI and Golf TSI, Life not just 1st,2nd and 3rd but on Highway make them small in my Mirror. Love my MK1 and will drive it till wheels come off.

that is great figures i guess.

a few things i cant get clear.

is it a 1.4i or a 1.8?

What is your engine code?

After those qs, please list the mods line by line as to not confuse us.

i think u have a 1.8 worked? as i have read that even 2L motors do kws around that kw mark u posted.

cheers