Keno
Enlisted
Registered for: 14 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: ED35

2L 8v Crossflow Head (Turbo Build)

Post by Keno »

Hi Guys

Read that the X-Flow head is an easier option to turbo.
Thought i'd take on the challenge. I'm not a mechanic, but i kiiiiiiiinda know whats going on ... Google Mechaniks ... lol

Just wanted to know whether a standard 2.0l MP9 intake and internals (cam,valves ... etc) from std head will fit on an X-Flow head
if so, does anyone have a pic of the Mp9 system on the x-Flow head ? please post.
Are any adapters needed , considering that if it fits, it needs to be flipped.

its a Jetta Mk2 2.0L 8v

This build is still in its research stage, will post as it develops

cool stuff

GTI ED35
graham savage
Colonel
Registered for: 18 years 5 months
Car Model: Caddy's, Mk2's, Mk4, Ford etc
Membership No: 803

Re: 2L 8v Crossflow Head (Turbo Build)

Post by graham savage »

No, the only manifold that's compatible is the exhaust
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

You have an ED35, why are you playing around with child's toys? :lol: :troll:
graham savage
Colonel
Registered for: 18 years 5 months
Car Model: Caddy's, Mk2's, Mk4, Ford etc
Membership No: 803

Post by graham savage »

CitiCitiBangBang wrote:You have an ED35, why are you playing around with child's toys? :lol: :troll:
Fire hazard when pushed too hard
Keno
Enlisted

Post by Keno »

The Jetta has been laying around for some time and its a great motor to mod, i guess there's some sort of satisfaction in working on it.
The 35 ..... very cool car, but i'll leave it to the IT department ... :geek:

Anyhooo , it might be a lot more inconvenient but cheaper just to mod the U-Flow as everything currently works, unless theres some sort of adapter for the mp9
to fit the x-flow head.
so just, turbo manifold, oil send and returns, intercooler and plumbing , i think these are the major mods, Already running a Dicktator management system.
Quick one, how do you determine the compression in regards to the thickness of the head gasket,
does the actual installed turbo require a particular compression ?

has anyone come across diagrams for this install on this particular motor or a workflow ? (just as a reference)

GTI ED35
Slick3349
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3 8L BAM
Membership No: 1704

Post by Slick3349 »

Keno wrote:The Jetta has been laying around for some time and its a great motor to mod, i guess there's some sort of satisfaction in working on it.

Anyhooo , it might be a lot more inconvenient but cheaper just to mod the U-Flow as everything currently works, unless theres some sort of adapter for the mp9
to fit the x-flow head.
so just, turbo manifold, oil send and returns, intercooler and plumbing , i think these are the major mods, Already running a Dicktator management system.
Quick one, how do you determine the compression in regards to the thickness of the head gasket,

has anyone come across diagrams for this install on this particular motor or a workflow ? (just as a reference)

I turbod my last mk2 Gti, 1.8l 8v U-flow, it was as easy as pie. Basically if you are running a decent management system you dont have to worry too much about compression ratio (depending if you want to go WILD). I used the turbo equivalent to that that comes standard on a nissan sr20det, cost me about 5k for the OE one. I was running 11:1 compression ratio (I spent 11k N/A and wasnt happy so slapped a turbo on there), I used the perfect power management with the progressive boost as 11:1 compression does NAAAAAY like boost in the low RPM range. I was making 160kw at the fly. (Which is very low for that kind of boost) but that was because of the high compression and the crappy log manifold that I was given.

You could quite comfortably make 180KW by spending 10k or so. you wont have to change anything on the sub assy with that kind of power.
Mazda 323 1.6 - Forcefully Removed
87 Golf MK2 Gti 1.8 8v - Sold
91 Golf Mk2 Gti 1.8 8v - Sold
89 Golf Mk2 Gti 1.8 8v Red - Sold for Exec
89 Golf Mk2 Gti 2.0 16v Exec - Converted to racecar
2004 Opel Corsa 1.4 Slow - Sold Piece of crap
88 Golf Mk2 Gti 1.8 16v Exec - Sold
Subaru Impreza WRX STi 2004
Audi S3 8L BAM, Gt3071 +tax

If you have run out of mods, Its time to get something new.
Keno
Enlisted

Post by Keno »

:drool: 180kw

GTI ED35
Rabbit2.0
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 7 months

Post by Rabbit2.0 »

Slick3349 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:47 pm
Keno wrote:The Jetta has been laying around for some time and its a great motor to mod, i guess there's some sort of satisfaction in working on it.

to fit the x-flow head.

I turbod my last mk2 Gti, 1.8l 8v U-flow, it was as easy as pie. Basically if you are running a decent management system you dont have to worry too much about compression ratio (depending if you want to go WILD). I used the turbo equivalent to that that comes standard on a nissan sr20det, cost me about 5k for the OE one. I was running 11:1 compression ratio (I spent 11k N/A and wasnt happy so slapped a turbo on there), I used the perfect power management with the progressive boost as 11:1 compression does NAAAAAY like boost in the low RPM range. I was making 160kw at the fly. (Which is very low for that kind of boost) but that was because of the high compression and the crappy log manifold that I was given.

You could quite comfortably make 180KW by spending 10k or so. you wont have to change anything on the sub assy with that kind of power.
Can you send me picsof the build i am also trying to build U-flow turbo AGG. Thanks so much
Slick3349
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3 8L BAM
Membership No: 1704

Post by Slick3349 »

Sorry dude, no longer have photos of that being so long ago.
Mazda 323 1.6 - Forcefully Removed
87 Golf MK2 Gti 1.8 8v - Sold
91 Golf Mk2 Gti 1.8 8v - Sold
89 Golf Mk2 Gti 1.8 8v Red - Sold for Exec
89 Golf Mk2 Gti 2.0 16v Exec - Converted to racecar
2004 Opel Corsa 1.4 Slow - Sold Piece of crap
88 Golf Mk2 Gti 1.8 16v Exec - Sold
Subaru Impreza WRX STi 2004
Audi S3 8L BAM, Gt3071 +tax

If you have run out of mods, Its time to get something new.