Donnie Darko
Colonel
Registered for: 12 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Membership No: 1834

Distributor vacuum pipe on carburettor

Post by Donnie Darko »

Hi Guys

I removed my old carb off my Golf mk1 cos it was leaking petrol and after cleaning it the rubbers obviiously perrished and now pour out.
Im buying a new one buy there are three nipples on the back of the carb and i can't rememeber which one the distributor vacuum pipe goes on :???:

Please help. Where can i get a guide how to install the carb properly?
Ex: 2016 BMW M4
Ex: 2016 Audi RS3 8V
Ex: 2016 VW Golf 7 ED40 Clubsport DSG
Ex: 2012 VW Golf 6 ED35 Manual - 342WHP and 500NM
Ex: 2015 BMW F21 M135i Sport Auto - 393.2WHP and 639NM
Ex: 2013 BMW F20 M135i Sport Auto - 332WHP and 626NM
Ex: 2012 Golf R DSG - 300WHP and 473NM
Ex: 2010 Scirocco DSG 155KW - 300.8WHP and 416NM
Ex: 2008 Ford Focus ST - 262.2WHP and 425NM
Ex: 2006 Golf 5 GTI DSG
freezaburn
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 8 months
Car Make: VW, Audi, Toyota,BMW
Car Model: GTi,Citi Sport,Raider,A4, 316i
Membership No: missing

Re: Distributor vacuum pipe on carburettor

Post by freezaburn »

What model carb is it? Is it auto-choke or manual choke?

The OEM Citi carb has the following:
- A single vacuum nipple at the back - this goes to the distributor for advance/retard. The only other connection at the back is the live wire for the idle-valve.

- Two vacuum nipples on the front of the carp. The one at the bottom (near the earth wire from the tappet cover) goes to a 3rd vacuum nipple on the side of the carb. This controls a diaphram for the butterfly valve in the first chamber.
The second nipple near the top connects to the large diaphram mounted on the front of the card.

If you have a mid-80s Citi then you have 2 additional nipples on the air-box itself (which connects through a temp sensor) as well as a vacuum control valve on the flange near the front of the engine.

All Current Rides:
-2009 Audi A4 (B8) 2.0T FSI Avant (155kw)
-2005 Audi A4 (B7) 2.0T FSI Avant (147kw)
-2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 2.7VVTi (118kw)
-1995 BMW E36 316i
-1994 Golf MK3 GTI 2.0 Exec (85kw)
-1986 Citi Golf Sport 1.6 (63kw)
Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Post by Quik-Trix »

Any diagrams for the last part? I have the 2 on the airbox, they were just connected to each other and knew it cant be right
Tashriq
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years

Post by Tashriq »

I encountered the same problem when I replaced my old carburetor with a new one. Now I have 3 pipes at the back of my carb instead of one.. Does all 3 pipes have to be connected to the distributor, a specific one, or any of the three??

Or should I just connect one of them and close the other two? I noticed that this carb is also sucking in too much air because my choke valve doesn't have any effect on the revolutions when it's closed..

Please help
vr6zn
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 10 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: 1998 MK3 VR6 Golf
Membership No: missing

Post by vr6zn »

use the middle pipe and block of the other two..
Six is always better then four!
Current:
1998 Golf VR6 (Durban Stock)

Ex Rides:
2001 Polo Playa 1.4i
1994 Jetta VR6
1992 1.3 Citi Golf
Deniboy
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 8 months
Car Model: 1997 city golf 1.3

Post by Deniboy »

hi guys whilst on this topic ive been havings some light pinging issues now and then on my city golf 1.3carb was just about to retard my ignition timing to prevent however the vacuum hose that was mentioned is missing from my car i didnt pay much attention to it because the car was bought this way can someone tell me whats the main function for the hose is it a special kind of pipe or can i use any hose thats the same size
Deniboy
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 8 months
Car Model: 1997 city golf 1.3

Post by Deniboy »

freezaburn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:51 pm What model carb is it? Is it auto-choke or manual choke?

The OEM Citi carb has the following:
- A single vacuum nipple at the back - this goes to the distributor for advance/retard. The only other connection at the back is the live wire for the idle-valve.

- Two vacuum nipples on the front of the carp. The one at the bottom (near the earth wire from the tappet cover) goes to a 3rd vacuum nipple on the side of the carb. This controls a diaphram for the butterfly valve in the first chamber.
The second nipple near the top connects to the large diaphram mounted on the front of the card.

If you have a mid-80s Citi then you have 2 additional nipples on the air-box itself (which connects through a temp sensor) as well as a vacuum control valve on the flange near the front of the engine.
hi whilst on this topic ive been havings some light pinging issues now and then on my city golf 1.3carb was just about to retard my ignition timing to prevent however the vacuum hose that was mentioned is missing from my car i didnt pay much attention to it because the car was bought this way can someone tell me whats the main function for the hose is it a special kind of pipe or can i use any hose thats the same size