Enlisted
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: VW & Ford
Car Model: Fox 1.7 & Falcon GLi
Membership No: missing

Fox cutting out and not idling

Post by FOXIE »

Hi there,

Got a 1992 Fox with a overhauled 1600cc ( now 1700cc) engine with Carb. It was cutting out while driving, but if you stop it start right up again, pull the the choke out and it doesn't cut out. So first thing to mind is the fuel pump, replaced it with a new pump, :driving: but after a week now, it's back to square one, cutting out and not idling. :bang: :mad: Carb was taken apart, cleaned and serviced. This is a carb bought from Goldwagen and was used on the 1300 engine before I replaced the engine with the current engine. Can the jets be a problem now, maybe too small and not supplying enough fuel? Is there anything else that I can check?
Current ride and daily drive:1992 VW Fox 1.7
Wife's car:1997 Ford Falcon GLi

Ex rides:
1991 BMW E34 535i Automatic Motorsport
1983 VW Golf bakkie 2.0L 8V
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Re: Fox cutting out and not idling

Post by Jetta2 »

Check the carb base plate.
The rubber piece betwen the aluminium plates can crack/tear and cause running issues.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
FOXIE
Enlisted

Post by FOXIE »

:bang: Thanks, totally forget about that thing, replaced it when I bought the carb in 2007. Will check Wednesday or Thursday when I am off again. :smile:

Ex rides:
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Membership No: 1041

Post by UDC »

Is the wiring for the idle solenoid connected? When if the earth strap in front of carb and the +lead going to the coil is connected.
FOXIE
Enlisted

Post by FOXIE »

UDC wrote:Is the wiring for the idle solenoid connected? When if the earth strap in front of carb and the +lead going to the coil is connected.
What voltage should go to the idle solenoid? I measured 2 volts on the cable and the earth strap in front is connected.

Ex rides:
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

should be 12v
FOXIE
Enlisted

Post by FOXIE »

UDC wrote:should be 12v
thought so, :crazy: here we go again, search for a wiring problem :bang: That harness is totally messed up, the radiator fan runs directly off a switch on the dashboard, got the car like that. It's a nightmare tracing wiring problems on the car.
Thanks for the help.

Ex rides:
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

FOXIE wrote:
thought so, :crazy: here we go again, search for a wiring problem :bang: That harness is totally messed up, the radiator fan runs directly off a switch on the dashboard, got the car like that. It's a nightmare tracing wiring problems on the car.
Thanks for the help.
For the idle solenoid all you need to do is find a 12+ thats comes onn with the ign, test for one at the coil.
for the fan, sounds like your thermo stat switch is not working, change that are reconnect the fan wiring via the thermo stat switch and that should turn your fan on and off accordingly.
FOXIE
Enlisted

Post by FOXIE »

UDC wrote:
FOXIE wrote:
Thanks for the help.
For the idle solenoid all you need to do is find a 12+ thats comes onn with the ign, test for one at the coil.
for the fan, sounds like your thermo stat switch is not working, change that are reconnect the fan wiring via the thermo stat switch and that should turn your fan on and off accordingly.
I will have look at the coil thanks. For the fan that wiring is all gone.

Ex rides:
FOXIE
Enlisted

Post by FOXIE »

UDC wrote:
FOXIE wrote:
Thanks for the help.
And there we have it, she is purring along sweetly again. Thanks UDC, ran a wire from the 12+ on the coil to the solenoid. It was connected to the blue wire on the altenator that actually works the battery light on the dash, that also didn't work till now. One thing is for sure don't fiddle if you don't know much, rather ask.

Ex rides:
Jeromey1979
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 9 months

Post by Jeromey1979 »

Hi guys I also have a problem with my Vw Fox 1989 model. I put on a new carb kit and after that the car won't idle. If I pull the choke out then it idles. Can I get some help in this
UDC
Colonel

Post by UDC »

Jeromey1979 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:21 pm Hi guys I also have a problem with my Vw Fox 1989 model. I put on a new carb kit and after that the car won't idle. If I pull the choke out then it idles. Can I get some help in this
Did you connect wiring for the idle solenoid....earth strap at front of carb to tapper cover and power plug at back of carb
Morries
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 2 months

Post by Morries »

Hi. Just bought a city 1.4 carburettor gholf for my son. It isles very low on start up. When driving for about 10 Min after enjin reaches normal temperature the idling goes down and enjin stops. Now this happens everytime at a stop or traffic light. Then it struggles to start. Also smell a lot of petrol fumes. What could be the problem ?