Cooling Setup for Crossflow MK1

oemplus
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1,9 TDI Sportline

Cooling Setup for Crossflow MK1

Post by oemplus »

So I'm currently wrapping up my build 2e bottom end with crossflow head + twin weber 40s

My current dilemma is finalising the cooling. My end goal would be something that fits hidden behind the slam panel. I have been reading up people using a Corsa B radiator, golf 4 radiator even flipping the OEM MK1 radiator.

Looking for some advice on a clean simple and reliable setup🙏

Thanks guys!
VW Chico 1.3 (2E 2l 8v, Twin Weber 40s, 50mm Exhaust )
Seat Cupra TDI (EGR delete, Racepipe, Straightpipe, RK Button Clutch, Hybrid Turbo, Coilovers, Stage 2+)
VW Beetle 1600S (Full restoration)
Mazda MX5 NB (Decat, Solid Mounts, CAI)
VW Polo TDI Sportline 9n (EGR delete, Racepipe, Straightpipe, RK Comp Clutch, Stage 1)
VW Citi 1.4i (272cam, Profit 50mm Exhaust)
oemplus
Cadet

Re: Cooling Setup for Crossflow MK1

Post by oemplus »

Anyone?
Seat Cupra TDI (EGR delete, Racepipe, Straightpipe, RK Button Clutch, Hybrid Turbo, Coilovers, Stage 2+)
VW Polo TDI Sportline 9n (EGR delete, Racepipe, Straightpipe, RK Comp Clutch, Stage 1)
missioner
Major
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Corsa B diesel radiator for the tucked under the front support solution. Some mods required to install it and you will need the stock Opel rubbers for under the rad. DIY custom brackets for the top mounts. Golf 3 or polo 6N top rad hose because crossflow radiator. Use the top coolant out let from the same vehicles to run the bleed off pipe to the expansion bottle. Make a cowling and use twin 12" fans for cooling.

Pros: neat and tucked install. Big enough to keep a 2.0l cool in Africa.

Cons: expensive, lots of custom work and fabrication to get it to fit, lots of non standard parts and improvising needed.

Golf 2 A/C radiator. Much bigger than stock. Only one slight change needed to the lower cross member to get it to fit inside the car. Use the stock top brackets, fan and wiring. It all works like standard. Mounts into the stock location just closer to the battery than before. Holes are already there to use. The coolant hoses only need to be slightly extended to fit. G2 hoses will be very close out the box.

Pros: utilizes all the existing parts and very little custom work is needed to get it all in and secure. Very good cooling performance. Reasonably affordable mod.

Cons: much less space for ram tubes, but this becomes irrelevant if you run the stacks out the bonnet instead of keeping them under

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
oemplus
Cadet

Post by oemplus »

Thanks Missioner!

Such well written and informative piece.

I actually bought the Opel radiator. Fit behind the front panel perfectly. Only issue I had was because I am running the DICE low mount alternator bracket with the stock golf 1 alternator it sits too far forward to allow sufficient clearance for the Opel option.

I managed to get my hands on a Honda radiator so will try to make that work. Just need to figure out hoses and fan switch.
Mk1-8vowner
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Post by Mk1-8vowner »

oemplus wrote: ↑Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:35 pm Thanks Missioner!

Such well written and informative piece.

I actually bought the Opel radiator. Fit behind the front panel perfectly. Only issue I had was because I am running the DICE low mount alternator bracket with the stock golf 1 alternator it sits too far forward to allow sufficient clearance for the Opel option.

I managed to get my hands on a Honda radiator so will try to make that work. Just need to figure out hoses and fan switch.

Hi im also using a honda radiator. Not sure if my planning is 100percent correct.
Bottom radiator hose to the thermostat at the water pump.
Middle pipe on the water pump to oem golf water bottle.
Block of the top water pump pipe.
On the side of the crossflow head front outlet to the top of the radiator.
Rear outlet blocked off.
Bottom outlet blocked off
Smaller metal outlet on the side of the head mine seems to be blocked off already but im going to put a pipe and block it off.
And the radiator cap i will remove the spring to allow water to overflow back to the water bottle.

Im currently looking for pipes for this arrangement. Useless someone has done it differently that works.
oemplus
Cadet

Post by oemplus »

Awesome man

Here's what I did

Trimmed a piece of the starter casting and battery to clear space. I prefer the radiator up against the front panel not the tilted setup.

Got a 34mm aluminium temp switch adaptor and had an engineer weld a threaded section to accept the OEM golf fan switch and water temp sensor screws on on the other end.

So top radiator hose goes to flange on side of head. Thermostat hose goes to lower inlet on radiator with my adaptor in between. Hose above that goes to expansion tank. Top hose from water pump routes to side of head to close the head loop.

A tip for the piping arrangement. Get some wire and bend it to map the piping route. Go to the autoparts store and try to find the closest matching hose.
oemplus
Cadet

Post by oemplus »

Did this instead, custom radiator with integrated expansion tank

Cameo62
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 2 months
Car Model: Golf Mk1

Post by Cameo62 »

oemplus wrote: ↑Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:28 pm Did this instead, custom radiator with integrated expansion tank

This looks extremely neat! Also, does it actually do a better job or as good of a job as you hoped for?
oemplus
Cadet

Post by oemplus »

Flows really well, running a Chinese fan which is the weak point. Looking to get a higher quality better flowing one