Waylynn
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk2 Jetta CLI

Oil pressure issues

Post by Waylynn »

Hi everyone

Please help is there a difference in vw 1.3/1.4 /1.6 /1.8 and 2.0lt head gasket?

Same question for those blocks but around their oil channels?
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Oil pressure issues

Post by missioner »

Waylynn: Hi everyone

Please help is there a difference in vw 1.3/1.4 /1.6 /1.8 and 2.0lt head gasket?

Missioner: Yes they are all different, with one exception, the 1.6/8 uses the same gasket as they are both 81mm bore size. It is possible to install the wrong gasket on any of the motors and also to install it upside down. The 2.0l gaskets also have some variants and come in both fibre and MLS versions. 8v and 16v are also different.

Same question for those blocks but around their oil channels?

All 8v are more or less the same up to a certain year. Motors from Y2K onward start to change. To clarify I'm not talking about old motors that stayed in production, I'm talking about the newer generation motors. Most early 8v motors use the same oil pump and the oil feed port on the cylinder head mating surface is in the same place. There is a slight variation in the position and size of the large oil drain hole between short and long block motors.

Multi-valve engines are not the same as 8v and the heads are not interchangeable without modifications. Earlier motors do have some backwards compatibility, but the same rule applies like multi-valve motor parts.

Like another chap a few weeks back you most likely have installed the gasket upside down. It blocks the oil feed to the head and the lifters stay noisy. If you leave it long enough the cam journals get damaged and the camshaft becomes a paperweight.

Sent from my ***-L22 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+