2017 Golf 7R- Cut out wont start

Rerig-GP
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 3 months

2017 Golf 7R- Cut out wont start

Post by Rerig-GP »

To you technical Gurus,

A week ago I started my Golf 7R at home and drove to the office, I stopped at the cafe about 100m from the office ran in came out started my car, did a u-turn, and drove up towards the office, at the stop street 20 m from the office i applied brakes and stopped at the stop street, the auto stop-start kicked in and cut the engine, I released the brake and she started up and I began pulling away from the stop street and that is when it happened, She cut out and I got a message on the screen between the clocks saying Auto stop-start error. I tried starting her she fired spluttered to life and died again and That was that.

I parked her outside the office walked in and jumped on the forum to try to find out what could be the problem, I am based in Kestell Freestate so don't exactly have access to VW and tow trucks.
I read from various individuals who had the same problem that it was the battery, the voltage had dropped too low and my battery needed replacing.
it took 3 days but I eventually managed to get someone out with a new battery who came with a diagnostic unit. They installed the new battery and cleared all the error codes except two which they could not get to clear.

The first one is C114602 - Tire pressure monitoring display Signal error and the second one is B116816 - Steering angle sensor Voltage too low, they could not get these two faults to clear.

The car still will not start, all fault codes are except the above two, my concern is that reading on all forums the car should still start, however, I also do not hear the fuel pump prime when turning on the ignition. I have checked the fuses and do not find any issues there and will try to check the relays tomorrow.

Has this happened to any of you and what was the fault, i have read that it can be a number of issues, any help would be greatly appreciated.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: 2017 Golf 7R- Cut out wont start

Post by missioner »

I think you may have suffered the dreaded timing chain tensioner failure.

I have a 2014 Audi TT DSG in the shop that also just cut out and wouldn't start again.

All 8 inlet valves are bent and two lifters are damaged.

Customer described the breakdown much the same as you did. She stopped at a light and when it changed she got a 100m further and the car died.

Does the car sound different at all when you try to start it, like it doesn't have any changes in speed or like the engine spins freely without compression?

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

missioner wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:56 pm I think you may have suffered the dreaded timing chain tensioner failure.

I have a 2014 Audi TT DSG in the shop that also just cut out and wouldn't start again.

All 8 inlet valves are bent and two lifters are damaged.

Customer described the breakdown much the same as you did. She stopped at a light and when it changed she got a 100m further and the car died.

Does the car sound different at all when you try to start it, like it doesn't have any changes in speed or like the engine spins freely without compression?
Highly unlikely on an EA888 Gen 3, basically unheard of to have the TCT failure, that was a EA888 Gen 1/2 issue.

You won't really hear the fuel pump prime on those cars as it's pretty quiet and well insulated in the tank, but if you're someone who can hear the pump priming and now it isn't then it is most likely still an electrical issue. Or a random injector failure which does happen. As you're quite far from a major city centre, I would suggest doing what you can to figure out the issue, recheck all the fuses with a multimeter/remove the plugs and check for fuel in a specific cylinder etc.
AvesshenG
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw, Bmw, Merc
Car Model: 81 Vw Mk1 Cabrio,15 Mk7GTi
Membership No: 3258

Post by AvesshenG »

Currently got a slight similar issue on my MK7 Gti
Radiator fans kicks in full blast even though the cars been on for 1min
Steering wheel gets really heavy
Auto Start stop error
and I'm certain I can hear a slight misfire ,Although its so soft Kinda have to listen very hard
Car drives fine and starts fine
This happens on occasion and its not consistent.
Also very irritating

I've checked fuses and scanned the car.
Nothing , so Ill be sending my car in
AvesshenG
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw, Bmw, Merc
Car Model: 81 Vw Mk1 Cabrio,15 Mk7GTi
Membership No: 3258

Post by AvesshenG »

You could try this, We tried it on my Mk7
Don't know if it helped.
But when we started the car the fan issue and steering wheel was gone for like a week then it happened once and went away for another 2 weeks , comes and goes

Take off both battery terminals, Then touch the cars Positive cable to the cars negative.
It has something to do with capacitors and discharge.... Blah blah