Decent workshop in Joburg area.

maybeanothergolf
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 10 months
Car Model: MK6 1.4 TSI

Decent workshop in Joburg area.

Post by maybeanothergolf »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to JHB and my MK6 1.4 TSI 90KW needs some TLC. Clutch needs attention (slipping with the idle clattering noise), needs a service and some diagnostics to hesitation when accelerating.

I can't bring myself to pay the VW dealer rates. Can anyone recommend a decent 'shop around the Randburg area where I can take my car and know it will be in good hands?

Any tips will be much appreciated!
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Decent workshop in Joburg area.

Post by missioner »

@Jetta16v

You in Randburg, do you have a recommendation?
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

maybeanothergolf wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:05 am Hi Everyone,

I'm new to JHB and my MK6 1.4 TSI 90KW needs some TLC. Clutch needs attention (slipping with the idle clattering noise), needs a service and some diagnostics to hesitation when accelerating.

I can't bring myself to pay the VW dealer rates. Can anyone recommend a decent 'shop around the Randburg area where I can take my car and know it will be in good hands?

Any tips will be much appreciated!
Ray at Solid Cafe/Solid Racing Developments in Strijdom Park, next door to Garage 72 on the same premises as Carnoisseur Wash.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
maybeanothergolf
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 10 months
Car Model: MK6 1.4 TSI

Post by maybeanothergolf »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them out. Does anyone have any opinions about VAG Spec in Randburg?

In you guys' experience, that MK6 clattering noise at idle with the cluth not depressed (stops when you press the clutch), what is the cause? I've been told everything from dual mass flywheel to bearing on the gearbox input shaft and everthing in between.

And while i'm here, I've had this wastegate sticking problem with this car for years now, every now and then I clean up around the wastegate bushing that goes into the manifold and things improve for a while. I've had that thing sticking so badly that the car goes into limp mode. Is the cure for this really a new turbo and nothing else? How much would such a hectic operation set me back?