Raees007
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK5 GTi

Golf V GTI engines

Post by Raees007 »

Hi all

I am in the market for a Golf V GTI. From the little bits that I have found online, it seems that 2005-2006 were all AXX motors and 2007-2009 were all BWA motors. I only want the BWA engine, so is it safe for me to just completely ignore all ads that are 2005 or 2006 GTI's or did the 2006 model also come with the BWA and I'll need to check the engine code on the license disk for it? Also, if the seller has FSH, does mileage really matter? Talking about 210 000km's - 260 000km's. TIA
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Re: Golf V GTI engines

Post by Callum229 »

License disc has the engine code and I think 6 digits of numbers so it will be BWAxxxxxx.

Yes mileage does matter as there is certain things to look for even with full service history like dual mass flywheel was replaced, wheelbearings were done, coilpacks were replaced, turbo refreshed, did it get a carbon cleanup on the valves, etc. I'm not BWA expert but I am sure someone who has a MK5 GTI will comment on the common issues and common wear and tear items at that mileage and you can check if it was done and if not, budget for it.

2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
MacMan
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Car Make: SEAT
Car Model: Tarraco XC 1.5 TSi
Membership No: 478

Post by MacMan »

Raees007 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:54 am Hi all

I am in the market for a Golf V GTI. From the little bits that I have found online, it seems that 2005-2006 were all AXX motors and 2007-2009 were all BWA motors. I only want the BWA engine, so is it safe for me to just completely ignore all ads that are 2005 or 2006 GTI's or did the 2006 model also come with the BWA and I'll need to check the engine code on the license disk for it? Also, if the seller has FSH, does mileage really matter? Talking about 210 000km's - 260 000km's. TIA
2006 GTi's also came with the BWA. The earlier GTi's also came with folding mirrors and puddle lights which seem to have been dropped in the later models.

Unfortunately FSH is no guarantee that there are no issues with the car. Many common issues with them are not covered by normal services.

At that mileage you might see:

- Wear on the fuel pump lobes on the intake cam (especially with the Rev. A cam) - (New cam is +- R5k)
- Worn / noisy exhaust camshaft adjuster - (New camshaft adjuster is +- R10k)
- Failure of balance shafts in oil pump resulting in a seized pump and possible engine damaged due to low oil pressure - (New pump is over R15k)
- Turbo manifold prone to cracking
- Worn suspension components (LCA bushes, shocks, shock mountings, balljoints, tierod ends, etc.)
- Worn engine and gearbox mounts
- Faulty side airbag wiring connectors under the front seats
- Worn wheel bearings
- If manual, I would think the clutch and flywheel would have been changed already, but if not you're looking at around R10k for a complete kit
- Sagging roof lining
- Carbon buildup on intake valves and injectors
- Leaking seals in vacuum pump for brake booster
- Cracked / split CV boots
- Depending on when the cambelt was last changed you might also need to do cambelt, tensioner, rollers and possibly waterpump - (+-R3k)
- Depending on when the cam chain was last changed you might need to do cam chain and tensioner - (+-R2k)
'20 SEAT Tarraco XC 1.5 TSi
'12 VW Up! 1.0 MPi

Ex:
'06 Golf MKV GTi
'04 Golf MKIV GTi.:R
'99 Citi Golf 2.0i

Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears.
Raees007
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 10 months
Car Model: MK5 GTi

Post by Raees007 »

MacMan wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:10 pm
Raees007 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:54 am Hi all

2006 GTi's also came with the BWA. The earlier GTi's also came with folding mirrors and puddle lights which seem to have been dropped in the later models.

Unfortunately FSH is no guarantee that there are no issues with the car. Many common issues with them are not covered by normal services.

At that mileage you might see:

- Wear on the fuel pump lobes on the intake cam (especially with the Rev. A cam) - (New cam is +- R5k)
- Worn / noisy exhaust camshaft adjuster - (New camshaft adjuster is +- R10k)
- Failure of balance shafts in oil pump resulting in a seized pump and possible engine damaged due to low oil pressure - (New pump is over R15k)
- Turbo manifold prone to cracking
- Worn suspension components (LCA bushes, shocks, shock mountings, balljoints, tierod ends, etc.)
- Worn engine and gearbox mounts
- Faulty side airbag wiring connectors under the front seats
- Worn wheel bearings
- If manual, I would think the clutch and flywheel would have been changed already, but if not you're looking at around R10k for a complete kit
- Sagging roof lining
- Carbon buildup on intake valves and injectors
- Leaking seals in vacuum pump for brake booster
- Cracked / split CV boots
- Depending on when the cambelt was last changed you might also need to do cambelt, tensioner, rollers and possibly waterpump - (+-R3k)
- Depending on when the cam chain was last changed you might need to do cam chain and tensioner - (+-R2k)
Oh wow okay, that seems like it could add up fast if it wasn't cared for properly. Thanks a lot for this.
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Post by Callum229 »

Don't forget if you get DSG, it will need a replacement dual mass flywheel around the 150 000 to 250 000km range (similar to a manual), and makes a clanking noise at idle if it's on its way out(check YouTube for examples). If it wasn't done, it will need to be done in the future.

Also DSG services must be carried out every 60 000kms. Make sure there are records that it was done and with the correct DSG oil(I have seen some people use 75W90 and it worked "fine" although not sure for how long). DSG oil is very expensive(I think I paid R1500 for the 5 litre).

Dogbone mounts on the subframe also tend to go out, pain in the ass to change.

Leather on the seats, normally wear out at the bolsters, needs to be repaired by a professional shop as airbags are on the sides of the bolsters and needs to have a special seam to rip out of.

And like @MacMan said, high pressure fuel pumps, both my buddies fuel pumps have died, and one had the cam lobe issue. Fuel pump alone is around R6k and cam isn't included.

Watch out for oil used. Make sure that the oil used meets the VW spec (not sure what it is for BWA) like for instance in my TDI engine the oil must meet the spec 505.01. Wrong or cheap oil will cause cam wearing, oil pump failure, etc.

Also if it's too cheap, there must be an underlying reason. The more expensive, excellent condition GTIs are the ones to look out for, especially in the high mileage range.

There are too many mechanic specials that will easily total the car at that high mileage so tread carefully and take your time.

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
kingr
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: VW, Mini, Slowyota
Car Model: Mk1 2 Door, Hilux D/C
Membership No: 3337

Post by kingr »

Buy the one with the best history & from a owner who have not skipped maintenance. Fsh by it self doesn’t mean much because dealers don’t perform preventative maintenance like replacing the cam follower as an example.

I would go for the car with a solid history to back it up, axx or bwa. DSG I suggest you avoid. Repairs all cost R20k+. Many owners also don’t follow the suggested service schedule of 2years/60 000km due it costing R4.5k +-. This applies to the G6 & 7 too.

I suggest getting the car checked out by an indy shop.

They are not expensive cars to run.
Kurt #3337

Current:
- 10" Mx5 NC2 (main daily)
- 12" Toyota Hilux D/C 2.5tdi 4x4 (tow car / vacay)
- 2020 Mini Cooper S Clubman (swambo)
- 80" VW Mk1 2 Door Golf 8vt project 192wkw/314nm

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers
kingr
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: VW, Mini, Slowyota
Car Model: Mk1 2 Door, Hilux D/C
Membership No: 3337

Golf V GTI engines

Post by kingr »

Double post
Kurt #3337

Current:
- 10" Mx5 NC2 (main daily)
- 12" Toyota Hilux D/C 2.5tdi 4x4 (tow car / vacay)
- 2020 Mini Cooper S Clubman (swambo)
- 80" VW Mk1 2 Door Golf 8vt project 192wkw/314nm

Ex: 07" G5 GTi, 13" ST180, 03" Mk4 2 door 1.8T Stage 2, 07" Velo 1.6, 83" Mk1 GT 2.0 8v MP9, 87" Mk1 1.6 CitiSport, 88" Mk2 2.0 16v, 83" Mk1 GT 1.6 + 40 webers