Golf 5 GTi “stope engine no oil pressure”

Garreth1600
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Golf 5 GTi “stope engine no oil pressure”

Post by Garreth1600 »

Hi Guys! So here’s my problem.

After completing a build on the above car I drove it on Friday, Saturday, Sunday no issues. Come Monday and the “oil warning” comes on intermittently... Tuesday not as bad and today once in the entire day.

I have checked the pickup in the sump, I’ve replaced the oil pressure sensor.

Note this has the 1.8t 20v oil pump conversion.

I can’t seem to figure out what is going on here. Last thing I want to try is get an oil pressure gauge and confirm there is in fact oil pressure when the warning comes on.

Any idea on what else to look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mpkhotha
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Re: Golf 5 GTi “stope engine no oil pressure”

Post by mpkhotha »

Experienced this, bought several sensors from spares..even from Goldwagen. If you bought an aftermarket oil pressure sensor, I would start by replacing it with a genuine VW one.
Callum229
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta MK5 TDI DSG Highline

Post by Callum229 »

What is your reading when your oil pressure sensor is working?

No weird sounds,etc when the sensor is beeping at you? I am sure the engine would have blown up by now if it was really low on pressure.

Sometimes the car can figure out that the sensor is faulty and store an error, get it scanned and check.

The only way for sure is to put an oil pressure gauge and double check as if it really is low on pressure, it won't end well.
2007 VW Jetta MK5 1.9 TDI DSG,

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

2007 VW Golf 5 1.9 TDI DSG, no mods.

2007 VW Transporter 2.5 TDI 4motion, no mods.
Garreth1600
Enlisted

Post by Garreth1600 »

Callum229 wrote:What is your reading when your oil pressure sensor is working?

No weird sounds,etc when the sensor is beeping at you? I am sure the engine would have blown up by now if it was really low on pressure.

Sometimes the car can figure out that the sensor is faulty and store an error, get it scanned and check.

The only way for sure is to put an oil pressure gauge and double check as if it really is low on pressure, it won't end well.
No idea you cannot log that on vcds for some reason or I’m missing something Image

No weird engine noise at all... runs smoothly. Checked the pickup and it’s clean. Sealed sump back up and put a new filter and oil. 100km trip last night and not a single warning Image

Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

Some MK5's have the ability to show oil pressure on the cluster display, although not mines.

The way the oil sensor works in my car, it is just a basic on and off switch(not sure if it is the same for you), it just goes off or open circuit if the oil pressure is too low, then that triggers the warning. If it is unplugged, contact or wiring issue, it will throw the oil pressure low light.

A way to test it is to check continuity between the points on the pressure switch when its unplugged, if engine is off, it should be an open circuit, thus no continuity and if there is oil pressure, it will be closed and allow for continuity, this will eliminate the sensor as the issue. Another thing you can do is slightly bend the metal prongs on the sensor so the metal prongs are more snug against the connector. Bend in opposite directions and only bend about 1mm.

Seems like the sensor is just a little bit dirty or it was a contact/wiring issue that is now fixed, hopefully it stays like that.

Mods: Simple EGR delete, LED interior set up, LED rear footwell lights, LED Puddle lamps, LED Doorhandle illumination, LED License plate lights, LED Boot lighting.

Garreth1600
Enlisted

Post by Garreth1600 »

Callum229 wrote:Some MK5's have the ability to show oil pressure on the cluster display, although not mines.

The way the oil sensor works in my car, it is just a basic on and off switch(not sure if it is the same for you), it just goes off or open circuit if the oil pressure is too low, then that triggers the warning. If it is unplugged, contact or wiring issue, it will throw the oil pressure low light.

A way to test it is to check continuity between the points on the pressure switch when its unplugged, if engine is off, it should be an open circuit, thus no continuity and if there is oil pressure, it will be closed and allow for continuity, this will eliminate the sensor as the issue. Another thing you can do is slightly bend the metal prongs on the sensor so the metal prongs are more snug against the connector. Bend in opposite directions and only bend about 1mm.

Seems like the sensor is just a little bit dirty or it was a contact/wiring issue that is now fixed, hopefully it stays like that.
Found the problem... leaking hpfp seals... throwing fuel in the motor

Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

Great!

Although the pump seals are pumping fuel in the motor, I would think that the sensor will still read high and not say low pressure as the pump produces much more pressure then the engine oil pressure.

Maybe the petrol caused it to be a little faulty.

Garreth1600
Enlisted

Post by Garreth1600 »

Callum229 wrote:Great!

Although the pump seals are pumping fuel in the motor, I would think that the sensor will still read high and not say low pressure as the pump produces much more pressure then the engine oil pressure.

Maybe the petrol caused it to be a little faulty.
So my understanding is it’s messing with the viscosity of the oil making it very thin and causing the issue. Do you perhaps know where I could get a seal kit?

Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

Go straight to Goldwagen or the agents.

That's where I got my high pressure pump gasket from although my car is a diesel and the pump was leaking oil not fuel.

I've also put a thin layer of Victor reinz gasket maker on the pump gasket on both sides, on the outside of the seal surface (outside so that it does not go past the seal and into the pump), it's fuel resistant and makes 100% sure it won't leak especially if the leak is due to the surface not being completely flat(which was my case). Never had a leak since.

Also make sure you have the correct torque spec, and don't tighten more then that, as the wrong torque spec will easily strip the threads(if I find it, I will update this reply).

Sent from my Nokia 8 Sirocco using Tapatalk

Garreth1600
Enlisted

Post by Garreth1600 »

Callum229 wrote:Go straight to Goldwagen or the agents.

That's where I got my high pressure pump gasket from although my car is a diesel and the pump was leaking oil not fuel.

I've also put a thin layer of Victor reinz gasket maker on the pump gasket on both sides, on the outside of the seal surface (outside so that it does not go past the seal and into the pump), it's fuel resistant and makes 100% sure it won't leak especially if the leak is due to the surface not being completely flat(which was my case). Never had a leak since.

Also make sure you have the correct torque spec, and don't tighten more then that, as the wrong torque spec will easily strip the threads(if I find it, I will update this reply).

Leak is on the inside I suspect... bone dry on the outside

Callum229
Cadet

Post by Callum229 »

Oh dear, my apologies, I just spoke to one of my friends now, he wanted a BWA high pressure fuel pump some time ago, apparently they aren't serviceable and when I checked with him, it's around R4000 or R6000.

You can try and take it apart to check where it is leaking though.

Goldwagen has a parts finder, Google Goldwagen partsfinder and put your car details in, and you should be able to find what you need. Thereafter just check out and put your email address and they will send you a quote as well.

Garreth1600
Enlisted

Post by Garreth1600 »

Callum229 wrote:Oh dear, my apologies, I just spoke to one of my friends now, he wanted a BWA high pressure fuel pump some time ago, apparently they aren't serviceable and when I checked with him, it's around R4000 or R6000.

You can try and take it apart to check where it is leaking though.

Goldwagen has a parts finder, Google Goldwagen partsfinder and put your car details in, and you should be able to find what you need. Thereafter just check out and put your email address and they will send you a quote as well.

Thanks so much pal!