Distributer to Coil on plug convertion. VW 8v

Timea2711
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 10 months

Distributer to Coil on plug convertion. VW 8v

Post by Timea2711 »

Gents... So i have 2E with a crossflow head. Forged bottom end with garret AR60 at the top. My next upgarde is spark/ignition. Now currently its running the old school dizzy setup and i want to go with the Coil on plug setup that ull find on all the newer engines. So how do i go about doing this... Im currently running a Dictator ECU.
I know its possible as ive seen the Brazilians do this without a timing wheel or cam sensor?
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Distributer to Coil on plug convertion. VW 8v

Post by missioner »

I beg to differ with regards to the trigger wheel statement.

There is no way on this green earth that you will ever get spark to the correct spark plug at the correct time without some sort of engine position reference solution.

The Brazilians use carbs and distributors on their 1000HP monsters. They do run 108RON methanol in those cars.

In your case it's a little easier and simpler to run a wasted spark setup. This is a proven solution and is somewhat simpler to execute than individual coils, besides it's also a bit cheaper.

For this you will need:

1. A trigger wheel
2. Crank position sensor ( either Hall effect or inductive, depends on your Diktator)
3. A coil pack. The Mk4 coil fits nice on a bracket where your distributor used to be.
4. Oil pump drive kit. The distributor is currently fulfilling that duty, once it's removed you need another solution for that job.
5. A good tuner/mechanic.

There are items that will need to be fabricated and some that can't be bought new. All of the above are also necessary for the coil on plug setup except no.3 (oviaas). Diktator STD isn't very clever and it's not known for sequential spark, you will probably need to upgrade your ECU.

That's as much I can think of right now.

Sent from my ***-L22 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
cerealkiller
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 8 months

Re: Distributer to Coil on plug convertion. VW 8v

Post by cerealkiller »

depending on ur block
60-2 dicktator
e36 cam sensor goes in ur block just turn it the other sensor is dont work if its the one going in the block