Polo 1.4 GTI CAV Engine .....

Juan101
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Polo 1.4 GTI CAV Engine .....

Post by Juan101 »

Hi Guys ,

so little over a year ago I got my hands on a 1.4 GTI ,not a new car but one i had been after for some time. Was a great deal or at least so it seemed at the time. Around 3 weeks ago all my dreams and good moods got shattered when the timing chain snapped..... To me not a problem have done a chain before so i saw it as a nice little project to try and take the polo places as well. Here's the deal over the past weekend the motor came out and got stripped down and that's when my bank account started stressing out.

Head came off and as expected 2 valves bent not a big deal ,but wait we dig deeper.

Sump domes off and shavings everywhere .2 sets of bearings disappeared no longer between the crank and conrod. Other 2 completely melted to the conrod still cant get them off. So to ease my mind and not get my wife all upset and exited at me ,its fine well change the conrods out completely and spend the money needed over time to get her back up and running. To add more piston number 3 broken just underneath the piston rings ,how this car was still driving up until now breaks my mind. Anyways here is my questions to the VW gods on the group.

Getting a new motor is out of the question for now. I want to take this little 1.4 as far as i can get it ,money is not a issue it will be done over time as i still have my little A1 to drive with.

What replacement pistons do i go with Fordged i suppose is best but which ones and from where.
Same goes for parts like piston rings ,valves and all goodies that go along with the valves.
I'll be dropping off the block and crank this week to get inspected but from my findings it does not seem like anything is really damaged on them ,surprised i am .....
I will also be doing a DP and ECU while i am at it.

Turbsky and charger still in very good nick infact the turbo was replaced when i bought it. Do i keep the stock turbo or change it out while i am at it ?

You'r help is much appreciated guys....
Carel040
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 3 months

Re: Polo 1.4 GTI CAV Engine .....

Post by Carel040 »

Juan get hold of panic mechanic he has a lot of knowledge on this motors he is located in bredel I had the same problem with my tiguan also 1.4 tsi cav engine they all break pistons fortunately for me vw paid the bill was 68k in 2012 for sub assembly

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Polo 1.4 GTI CAV Engine .....

Post by missioner »

Carel040 wrote:Juan get hold of panic mechanic he has a lot of knowledge on this motors he is located in bredel I had the same problem with my tiguan also 1.4 tsi cav engine they all break pistons fortunately for me vw paid the bill was 68k in 2012 for sub assembly

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
Couldn't agree more.

Crank may need replacing though going by what you described. The bearings being welded to the journals is not a good sign and tells a story of poor lubrication and very high temperatures.

Sent from my ***-L22 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+