Hyundai i30N

Fiftee
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 7 months
Car Make: Currently don't have a car

Hyundai i30N

Post by Fiftee »

Any body else tired of hearing this car being described as a "GTi killer"? Sure it's more powerful but Dora crying out loud , it's a newer car that is being compared to an " older car". Wait for the Golf 8 GTI and then compare the two cars.

The hate for the GTI is real
Jet Li
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Membership No: 3103

Re: Hyundai i30N

Post by Jet Li »

Hate is a much stronger word in my view :grin:

Its an interesting topic nonetheless.

GTi sells in numbers and every car maker wants a piece of that success. Pity its so hard to beat a GTi.

i30N is more powerful & might be more entertaining with that manual gearbox but has an uphill against the GTi in this country.
1. Price- will rather buy Golf R for that amount.
2. Manual gearbox- DSG/automatic dominates the segment. It even went down to smaller Polo Gti nowadays. DSG just sells better
3. 40+ years of the GTi Heritage- Tried and tested GTi vs To be tested i30N.

What do others think?
'09 8P S3 Sportback (MT)
'10 B8 S4 V6T (DSG)
'15 6C GTi (MT)
sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

I've read most of the articles from Journos who attended the launch, and the fact that almost all of the went with one headline - "Hyundai i30n, GTI killer" - one was bold enough to mention Golf R as well.

That for me was a clear indication that all articles were sponsored. The I30N seems like a pretty good car and well specced but the hype that it's a GTI/R killer, it's way too early for such conclusion.

I might be biased but I doubt it will match the Golf 8

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
Fiftee
Cadet

Post by Fiftee »

Jet Li wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:43 pm Hate is a much stronger word in my view :grin:

Its an interesting topic nonetheless.

GTi sells in numbers and every car maker wants a piece of that success. Pity its so hard to beat a GTi.

i30N is more powerful & might be more entertaining with that manual gearbox but has an uphill against the GTi in this country.
1. Price- will rather buy Golf R for that amount.
2. Manual gearbox- DSG/automatic dominates the segment. It even went down to smaller Polo Gti opnowadays. DSG just sells better
3. 40+ years of the GTi Heritage- Tried and tested GTi vs To be tested i30N.

What do others think?
I think it's a good first attempt by Hyundai at the hot hatch segment but I feel like it is not fair for them to constantly compare it to a car that is a few years older than it.On the pricing I think it's not that badly priced because I think it comes fully specced and GTis , actually most German cars, offer good features as costly optional extras.
Fiftee
Cadet

Post by Fiftee »

sbu.mah wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:03 pm I've read most of the articles from Journos who attended the launch, and the fact that almost all of the went with one headline - "Hyundai i30n, GTI killer" - one was bold enough to mention Golf R as well.

That for me was a clear indication that all articles were sponsored. The I30N seems like a pretty good car and well specced but the hype that it's a GTI/R killer, it's way too early for such conclusion.

I might be biased but I doubt it will match the Golf 8

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Lol on the journos I agree with you.I want to see how they will react to us Golf 8 GTI once it gets here. I have a feeling the i30n will lose the "Gti killer" part of its name.
TimeShifter
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: 2012 Mk6 GTi
Membership No: missing

Post by TimeShifter »

Even if it is quicker than the GTi, I'm sure the GTi will still be the one chosen at the end of the day, I for sure would be taking the GTi... I know, I'm biased but so are hundreds of others...

Anyways, the comparison with the Mk7 is fair as the i30N was introduced to the European market in 2017 already if I recall correctly, only now has it reached ZA.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

2012 VW Golf Mk6 GTi
[color=#0000FF]Chuck Norris[/color] wrote: Wadup TimeShifter! Will you please teach me how to do that round house kick again?
Fiftee
Cadet

Post by Fiftee »

TimeShifter wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:16 pm Even if it is quicker than the GTi, I'm sure the GTi will still be the one chosen at the end of the day, I for sure would be taking the GTi... I know, I'm biased but so are hundreds of others...

Anyways, the comparison with the Mk7 is fair as the i30N was introduced to the European market in 2017 already if I recall correctly, only now has it reached ZA.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Oh, I was wrong then the comparison is fair.But I still don't think it will outsell segment leader
Titleists
Philosopher STIG
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: 2016 Golf R
Membership No: 1520

Post by Titleists »

I've never heard anyone say "I dream about a Hyundai i30N". Plus unfortunately we live in the Playstation generation and the i30N doesn't work like a Playstation so sales will be poor.
VCDS changes done by me for a minimal fee

My ex rides:

2013 LHD Scirocco R
2011 Golf 6 GTI
Ghostfacekilla
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Model: Golf GTi 7.5

Post by Ghostfacekilla »

The i30 is a new car to SA and the hype that surrounds it comes with anything new and just like every hype it ill eventually fade away. Let us see the trade value of this car compared to a VW GTi after a year of ownership then we will discuss the who kills who comment
“It is not by muscle, speed, or physical dexterity that great things are achieved, but by reflection, force of character, and judgment”

CURRENT: GTI MK 7.5
EX: E90 LCI 320d Msport
EX: F20 118i Msport
EX: Polo 1.6 TDI 6R
EX: Polo 1.9 TDI 9n Sportline
PROJECT: MK2 GTI Jumbo
SamoVw
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Make: Mini f56 jcw
Car Model: Mini f56 jcw, Audi A4 Allroad,
Membership No: 2031

Post by SamoVw »

This Hyundai has been brought in limited numbers. Its not a bad package at all. Pricing is a little high.. Wouldn't mind test driving one.. Remember enjoying a car is not just about robot to robot racing and quater mile times.. Its the whole package..
Mini F56 JCW
Audi A4 Allroad 2.0t stronic
Ex cars
BMW F30 328i
Honda civic B20
Polo 1.2 tsi highline dsg
Bmw 135
Vw Golf mk4 1.8 20v Highline
Honda Ballade 150 luxline
Vw Polo Gti 6r
Vw mk3 1.8gsx stanced
Vw Mk 6 highline
Vw vivo gt
Bmw e90 330 manual
Seat Leon Cupra
Vw mk 5 gti dsg
Bmw e46 330 smg
Vw polo tdi
Mini cooper s
A3 sportback 2.0 t
Vw playa 2.0 polotec
Vw golf mk1 gti original
Vw golf mk1 gti with 1.8 16v engine
Too many
Fiftee
Cadet

Post by Fiftee »

SamoVw wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:50 am This Hyundai has been brought in limited numbers. Its not a bad package at all. Pricing is a little high.. Wouldn't mind test driving one.. Remember enjoying a car is not just about robot to robot racing and quater mile times.. Its the whole package..
I think the price is not that bad considering that it comes fully specced.I just don't like how they are trashing the GTI . Everything else you have said is what I have already said
Fiftee
Cadet

Post by Fiftee »

Titleists wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:46 am I've never heard anyone say "I dream about a Hyundai i30N". Plus unfortunately we live in the Playstation generation and the i30N doesn't work like a Playstation so sales will be poor.
True.If I were to buy one , it would be preowned because I am sure people will buy it in numbers and it might not be as wonderful as it was made out to be.It also comes with a lengthy motor plan so that also makes sense why I think a second hand buy would be a better option
Fiftee
Cadet

Post by Fiftee »

Titleists wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:46 am I've never heard anyone say "I dream about a Hyundai i30N". Plus unfortunately we live in the Playstation generation and the i30N doesn't work like a Playstation so sales will be poor.
😂😂😂😂😂😂
NHB_R
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by NHB_R »

I vote Hyundai. And my vote matters most

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uncle Nunda
Post Whore
Registered for: 14 years 10 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3
Membership No: 1489

Post by Uncle Nunda »

i dig the hyundai looks great
Stu
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 10 months
Car Make: Merc
Car Model: C63 Edition 507

Post by Stu »

heard it creamed the golf around track also
Polo 20VBigT - The Redhead
Kia Sportage - The Silver Surfer
C63 507 Edition - The Dragon
Isuzu 4x4 - Little Joe
Rustler Bakkie - Good Old Jimmy
Tarique1
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 7 months

Post by Tarique1 »

I know this is an old thread but my Mk5 gti stage 1 pumped a brand new 2021 I30N the other day😂😂😂😂😂
Oper8tor
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 10 months

Post by Oper8tor »

Did he know he was racing you 😎