7R Rear silencer issue — anyone had this??

PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

7R Rear silencer issue — anyone had this??

Post by PapaJo »

As the topic states, anyone with a Golf7R experienced this issue.

Noticed this morning a black soot mark on the bottom right of my Golf 7 R rear silencer. Note it’s a 2016 model with a mere 16 472km on the clock.

Wiped the soot clean and it felt like there was a crack in the silencer.

Took a drive to Lindsay Saker in Vereeniging and spoke to one if the service advisors. My R was taken in on to a lift where we inspected the silencer.

This is what we found.
Note the hole.

A close up

This is all in line with the spot weld row, right across the silencer and also start showing signs of cracks on 2 of the other spot welds too.

I was told by the workshop foreman that he has discussed this with their service manager and they will not perform an “act of goodwill” and that I need to drive up the road to Speedy exhaust and ask them to weld the hole closed.

That is not the answer or attitude I was expecting and asked why? Well sir your car is 3 months out of its 3 year warranty period and we will not contact VWSA to lodge a query as it is obvious that you don’t drive your car enough due to the low kilometers on it. My reply was that this is an absolute shame to pay more than 600k for a car and a stainless steel exhaust does not last 3,5 years and 16 472km.

I have lodged an email query with VWSA with the pictures attached and await a reply from them.

Keep you all posted once I receive a reply.
Titleists
Philosopher STIG
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2016 Golf R
Membership No: 1520

Re: 7R Rear silencer issue — anyone had this??

Post by Titleists »

Mine also has one. I guess it’s a drainage hole, doesn’t bother me at all.
VCDS changes done by me for a minimal fee

My ex rides:

2013 LHD Scirocco R
2011 Golf 6 GTI
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Titleists wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:42 pm Mine also has one. I guess it’s a drainage hole, doesn’t bother me at all.
Titleists, I didn’t knew it had a draining hole :oops:

Workshop foreman and technician also didn’t know that. Their reply was that they have never seen that.
SkinnyD
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by SkinnyD »

Sad that VW does not know their own product and specifications of their oem parts.

I suggest take it to an exhaust place and ask them whether it is indeed a drain hole for peace of mind.
Then go back to the dealer and **** on them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

SkinnyD wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:19 am Sad that VW does not know their own product and specifications of their oem parts.

I suggest take it to an exhaust place and ask them whether it is indeed a drain hole for peace of mind.
Then go back to the dealer and **** on them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, that is sad. I’m awaiting a reply from VWSA.
Riyaadhsaley
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 6 years
Car Model: MK5 GTI

Post by Riyaadhsaley »

Nothing to worry about. They come like that from factory. I'm guessing the crack effect is just staining from the spot.
2008 Black Magic Golf 5 GTI - 194kw 414nm @ R&S Motorsport

1982 Mercedes 230 (W123) - White, bagged.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Riyaadhsaley wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:22 am Nothing to worry about. They come like that from factory. I'm guessing the crack effect is just staining from the spot.
Thanks, Riyaadsaley.
Koena
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months
Car Model: Golf MK7 R

Post by Koena »

Just a drainage hole, I noticed it on mine and took it to an exhaust shop and they told me.
Current: 2014 Golf 7R
Previous: 2011 Audi A3 1.8TFSI - 211kW
Previous: 2005 Megane RS
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Koena wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:40 am Just a drainage hole, I noticed it on mine and took it to an exhaust shop and they told me.
Thanks, Koena.
Hotdubz
General
Registered for: 18 years
Car Model: Golf 7R

Post by Hotdubz »

Hmmm, I need to check if mine has that.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

An update, VWSA contacted me earlier in the week and I took the R in yesterday and pictures were taken of the exhaust from front to back by the service manager and forwarded back to VWSA. I’m waiting for feedback from VWSA to what they say.

Few guys has commented on this post already that it is not to worry and does have a drain hole. Let’s see what VWSA say.
Supervan II
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: SEAT

Post by Supervan II »

PapaJo wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:23 pm Few guys has commented on this post already that it is not to worry and does have a drain hole. Let’s see what VWSA say.
Too neat to be anything else but a drain hole. Makes sense that you'd have soot build-up if you hardly drive it, and when you do, you drive it like your granny would (and only to the local SPAR and back too) - it needs a good, lengthy run on a freeway to burn off that soot! (Not that any of the cars that I or the SO have ever owned ever had that problem!)
Jet Li
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Membership No: 3103

Post by Jet Li »

Great reading folks. I guess one keeps learning. Thanx
'09 8P S3 Sportback (MT)
'10 B8 S4 V6T (DSG)
'15 6C GTi (MT)
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Jet Li wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:36 am Great reading folks. I guess one keeps learning. Thanx
Yep and seems that guys on here knows more about these cars than the guys who are doing the services on these cars.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Supervan II wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:47 pm
PapaJo wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:23 pm Few guys has commented on this post already that it is not to worry and does have a drain hole. Let’s see what VWSA say.
Too neat to be anything else but a drain hole. Makes sense that you'd have soot build-up if you hardly drive it, and when you do, you drive it like your granny would (and only to the local SPAR and back too) - it needs a good, lengthy run on a freeway to burn off that soot! (Not that any of the cars that I or the SO have ever owned ever had that problem!)
Burning off soot from the REAR silencer by driving it hard? Wow, that's going to be a helluva ride... :cool:
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

VAG Fan wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:19 am
Supervan II wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:47 pm
Burning off soot from the REAR silencer by driving it hard? Wow, that's going to be a helluva ride... :cool:
Got an official answer back from VWSA technical department and yes it is normal on the R model to have a hole there for condensation drip. Few guys has posted that answer in posts higher up, no worries to all our R owners.

As for the poster who was claiming that this is caused by granny style driving to the local SPAR, you are wrong. I don't use the car to drive to SPAR (600m from home) or Pick and Pay (400m from home) as I prefer not to park between or close to other cars to ensure I don't get the dings on the doors from other people's cars. Myself and my wife does do the occasional burn off of the soot with the added DSG farts and it is not collecting in the exhaust system. It is draining out on the drain hole. This is our weekend car and occasional weekday car or visiting in Jhb or Rustenburg at least every third month. The Tiguan do the daily run around duties.

Case closed.
Rascal69
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Model: MK1
Membership No: 1490

Post by Rascal69 »

The scary part is that a VW workshop manager and a Technician told you to drive your car to speedy exhaust and just weld the drain shut!!! wtf kind of advice is that? how did they get those jobs? can you trust these bastards to work on your beloved car which you work so hard and pay a small fortune for and then take it to assholes like this... Sad, Very Sad!
Current: 2007 ///M Coupe
Current: 2019 Fortuner 4x4

Ex: 2005 E55 AMG
Ex: 1998 BMW M3
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Focus ST - 208wkw & 465nm's (FRnR)
Ex: 1994 E36 328i Track Car (Budler Motorsport built)
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Mk6 GTI DSG - 200wkw & 452nm's (KAR)
Ex: 2007 REVO 2+ S3 - 12.7s @ 176km/h (Tarlton 2010) and 224km's on 1km (ODI)
Ex: 2006 Velo 1.6i | 2008 Velo 1.6i | 2005 Velo 1.4i | 2006 Polo 1.6i | 2012 Polo TDI | 2004 W203 C200K
Hotdubz
General

Post by Hotdubz »

PapaJo wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:03 am
Jet Li wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:36 am Great reading folks. I guess one keeps learning. Thanx
Yep and seems that guys on here knows more about these cars than the guys who are doing the services on these cars.
Bru, always the case! Service advisors think we know nothing about the cars we own :rant:
Hotdubz
General

Post by Hotdubz »

Rascal69 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:51 am The scary part is that a VW workshop manager and a Technician told you to drive your car to speedy exhaust and just weld the drain shut!!! wtf kind of advice is that? how did they get those jobs? can you trust these bastards to work on your beloved car which you work so hard and pay a small fortune for and then take it to assholes like this... Sad, Very Sad!
Yeah you should take this up with VWSA.
Ram013
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 8 months
Car Model: Allspace 2.0 TSI Highline

Post by Ram013 »

Rascal69 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:51 am The scary part is that a VW workshop manager and a Technician told you to drive your car to speedy exhaust and just weld the drain shut!!! wtf kind of advice is that? how did they get those jobs? can you trust these bastards to work on your beloved car which you work so hard and pay a small fortune for and then take it to assholes like this... Sad, Very Sad!
Agreed, the level of incompetence is shocking. One assumes that a dealership has the necessary skills and in-depth knowledge of their products. I suppose however for most of them, it's merely a job so they don't care.

I guess that's why the smart folk join motoring forums as there are plenty of motor-heads who are passionate about cars, have tons of knowledge and can steer us in the right direction.
Ex:
'09 Mk5 GTI DSG(My definition of happiness)
'02 Polo Classic 1.6
'98 Fiesta 1.3(Ford, never again)
'90 Sentra 1.3
sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

Rascal69 wrote:The scary part is that a VW workshop manager and a Technician told you to drive your car to speedy exhaust and just weld the drain shut!!! wtf kind of advice is that? how did they get those jobs? can you trust these bastards to work on your beloved car which you work so hard and pay a small fortune for and then take it to assholes like this... Sad, Very Sad!
Have zero confidence when it comes to VW Technician/Service Advisors - they have no clue whatsover.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Very scary and have re-thinked to service the R and Tiguan there for their next services. Will be looking for another dealership to service next time when services are due. Would rather drive 50km further to another town, next time
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Hotdubz wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:06 am
Yeah you should take this up with VWSA.
That is why I lodged query to VWSA as there was no way I would accept their answer to go to Speedy and weld the drain hole closed.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Ram013 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:09 am
Agreed, the level of incompetence is shocking. One assumes that a dealership has the necessary skills and in-depth knowledge of their products. I suppose however for most of them, it's merely a job so they don't care.

I guess that's why the smart folk join motoring forums as there are plenty of motor-heads who are passionate about cars, have tons of knowledge and can steer us in the right direction.
Forums seems to be more informative as there are guys knowing more about their cars than the technicians do.
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace

Post by amstel18 »

Quite scary what the VW service techies are doing.
I once witnessed a VW Mech (qualified not an appy) bring a airgun to fasten the pressure plate bolts.
The torque rating is 18nm on those, and he wanted to use an airgun. no wonder theres more **** broken by the dealers than anything else
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)