1.2 TSI Oil Consumption

WarrenMeinking
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.2 TSI HL

1.2 TSI Oil Consumption

Post by WarrenMeinking »

Hi there! I am in some dire need of advice.

I have a 2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Highline (currently 62 000km), and I noticed that was using oil, when I stopped to put in petrol one evening and by chance checked the oil. That evening, I had to put in 2.5L of oil, (an absolutely absurd amount, I know!) best of all, my oil light wasn't even on. A few evenings later I had to top up again, this time by around 200ml.

With this I went to VW Claremont and began the Oil Consumption test process. The results came back to say that that the usage is "in spec". The same outcome was met at VW Barons N1 City. Obviously unhappy with the outcome, I looked in the owners manual, and it is stated that the car is allowed to use up to 1L of oil per 2000km.

I am no mechanic but that is ridiculously high for a little 1.2 engine. I suspect the oil is being burnt somewhere, as there are no oil drops or marks, but there is oil residue in the exhaust. Now and again I will also see a puff of smoke coming from the exhaust. I also had a compression test done at VW Barons N1 City, and they also said the readings were "in spec".

The car is still under a Mastercars Warranty and I don't know what to do anymore. All I want to know is if I have a engine ring fault, maybe pistons, or if it is something going wrong with the turbo.

Any advice would be very much appreciated how I can go about this further.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 1.2 TSI Oil Consumption

Post by panic-mechanic »

known issue. persist with the complaint.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Agree with Panic.

Do your own oil consumption test to gauge the amount the engine is losing.

On a cold (not started) engine, top up the oil to the full mark on the dipstick, drive the aforementioned 2000km and then top up again. Use a measuring jug to determine the (as close as you can get it) amount of oil used.

Fill the car only after it been standing for 2 hours (or longer) and it must be parked on a level surface.

Make notes of your process and take pictures.

The more information you have and if your process is "scientific" it should stand up when you take it up with the dealer. Even if it uses less than the spec allowed, impress them with how unsatisfactory it is for you that the consumption is so high.

As a comparison Renault's 1.2l 3 cylinder turbo engine uses about a liter between services at most.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
WarrenMeinking
Enlisted

Post by WarrenMeinking »

Thanks for the feedback, it is indeed much appreciated.

An update on the saga in fact:

Got my car back from Barons N1 yesterday after doing the consumption test and confirmed that it used 430ml in 1000km. I also asked for the official test results which they screenshot and sent to me via email for recorded proof. The workshop foreman then said that this was enough for him to go on, and can now take things further, such as booking the car in and opening the motor, and going via the warranty process.

It was pretty much the best worst news, if that makes sense. I am just so very glad that they can now actually take it further and get this problem sorted out.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Awesome.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Great that things looking up and finally VW will start the process to sort you out.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
WarrenMeinking
Enlisted

Post by WarrenMeinking »

Greetings!

So, after 3 weeks of fighting with VW and Motorite, and then just over another week of waiting for parts and fitment, the Polo is now finally fixed!

My suspicions were correct, and the piston rings were indeed shot. This was extremely easy to deduce after having them open the motor up. The bulk of the 47k replacement cost was covered by the warranty (thankfully!). Only parts I had to pay for were the gaskets, oil, and oil filter, which aren't covered by the warranty - which came to 5.8k. The bulk of the cost was for, pistons, rings and bearings and of course labour.

So glad to have my car back, and for the next few thousand KM's or so, I will be keeping an eye on the oil level, to make sure all is indeed in proper order again.

:driving:
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

WarrenMeinking wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:58 pm Greetings!

So, after 3 weeks of fighting with VW and Motorite, and then just over another week of waiting for parts and fitment, the Polo is now finally fixed!

My suspicions were correct, and the piston rings were indeed shot. This was extremely easy to deduce after having them open the motor up. The bulk of the 47k replacement cost was covered by the warranty (thankfully!). Only parts I had to pay for were the gaskets, oil, and oil filter, which aren't covered by the warranty - which came to 5.8k. The bulk of the cost was for, pistons, rings and bearings and of course labour.

So glad to have my car back, and for the next few thousand KM's or so, I will be keeping an eye on the oil level, to make sure all is indeed in proper order again.

:driving:
Good to hear that VW and Motorite came to the party with sorting out the car.
At least on your side, you did not pay much in such a minor 5.8K to have your motor repaired properly and i am sure VW gave you decent warranty on the work done.

Enjoy your car.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
RenierS
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 5 months

Post by RenierS »

Hi, my first post on this forum.

I also have a 2014 1.2 TSI Polo HIghline (coincidentally also from Barons N1). Last service was at 75000 km. Car currently has 85000km on the clock. Checked the oil for the first time after the 75k service, and to my surprise I had to add more than 1 litre of oil! Drove about 700km today and the oil drop of about 2mm on the dipstick is clearly visible. I owned a few VW cars before this, and this is the first time ever that I've had to add this much oil between service intervals!

Is the 1.2 TSI engines suppose to use oil? And if so, what is normal?

Thanks
Renier
WarrenMeinking
Enlisted

Post by WarrenMeinking »

The consumption is definitely not normal in my opinion - even though VW will tell you otherwise (500ml per 1000km is what they deem as acceptable by the book).

The 1st thing that they will ask you to do is an oil consumption test, which they are adamant about, but is helpful in the sense of measuring exact usage that is then logged on their system. If it is over, then they will probably go ahead with the recommendation of booking it in for repair. However, the second part is a risk - If the consumption is below the acceptable amount (like in my case), and you request them to open the block for inspection, and they don't find anything for whatever reason, you are then liable for the strip and reassembly cost.
saixbot
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by saixbot »

My 2014 Polo 1.2 HL also used a bit of oil but then my 2017 R-Line used slightly less and my 2019 GTi Polo uses zero.... so far :P
sereshan
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years

Post by sereshan »

Hi guys

What brand and viscosity oil are you'll using.