MAP Sensor

Bathash
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

MAP Sensor

Post by Bathash »

hi

I have a vw citi Billabong.... I bought the car from a reputable dealer. after a few weeks with the car I noticed that it doesn't idle smoothly. I took it 2 a mechanic, he said to me the car has a CPU of a 1.6 whereas the car itself is a 1.4. he said I shouldn't worry about this up and down idle and it will never entirely go away until I change the CPU to that of a 1.4 (which is quiet costly he said, bcs he had 2 change the whole harness). he then exchanged the map sensor with an old one from his tool box and the car idled pretty well, not 100% but way better. he gave me that Map sensor for free.
I have been driving the car for 3 years with that map sensor... no problems until recently. I did a service on the car, changed the oil, air, fuel filters, plugs and changed the oil ( I service frequently). after this particular service I noticed that the car revs itself up and the goes back to normal. I also switches itself off as soon as I step on the clutch to change gears. I then removed the MAP sensor electric cables without removing the sensor . the car now drives like a dream. perfect!! smooth idling and so on. should I carry on driving the car with the map sensor disconnected? what could go wrong?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: MAP Sensor

Post by panic-mechanic »

what would go wrong is that it is way rich - will overtime wear the motor out and require a rebuild. if you are convinced the issue is map sensor then just change that.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Bathash
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Re: MAP Sensor

Post by Bathash »

i bought a new map sensor a new map sensor and the car continued with its shinanigans... can somebody advise on a mechanic. I am in witbank(mp)