8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Advice on 2011 Golf 6 GTI: The good, the bad & the ugly

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Howsit guys,

I'm looking at purchasing the above vehicle.

Vehicle history: FSH, 145k Km on the clock, accident free, 6 speed manual- That's all I know for now.

I would like to know the common issues on these motors and other sensors that may go bad. Further, what are the service costs like? What should I expect to pay for a clutch and brake changes? On the fuelling side, anything to take note of?

Also, is there anything else that I need to look out for?

The car will be used as a daily.

I will not be keeping the car stock if I pull the trigger to buy- so the following will be in order

1. Stage 1
2. DP
3. Induction
4. Full exhaust (what size is suggested for this?)

As always, the good advice is much appreciated. :driving:
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Re: Advice on 2011 Golf 6 GTI: The good, the bad & the ugly

Post by amstel18 »

Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Hoosier Daddy
Colonel
Registered for: 11 years 3 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Golf VI R
Membership No: 2023

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

It's been discussed at length. The timing chain is the biggest flaw - so be prepared to change the tensioner, chain and guides as soon as you get the car. The DSG is perfect as long you don't push the limits i.e. anywhere over 540 Nm. The manual clutches are really week, you will need to change that if you are going to mod.
My Dream: Gipsy Danger
My First Love: Lucy
Nikz_tsc wrote:Don't be an elachi bhai
8VALVE-zn
Cadet

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Thanks guys for trying.

Any can help with my specific questions above?
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
Hoosier Daddy
Colonel
Registered for: 11 years 3 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Golf VI R
Membership No: 2023

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Oil services are cheap, brakes and pads around R6k for everything. Fueling is fine
My Dream: Gipsy Danger
My First Love: Lucy
Nikz_tsc wrote:Don't be an elachi bhai
GB9
Major
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: 8V S3 Sedan

Post by GB9 »

Intake manifold is a weak spot too. Relatively easy and inexpensive to resolve, though. ~10k if you want to get an OEM replacement fitted. But there are other cheaper options, which Panic mentioned in another thread somewhere sometime...
2015 Audi S3 Sedan : Nappa leather seats, LED headlights, Panoramic sunroof, rear PDC, B & O sound system
2010 VW Golf 6 GTi : RNS-510 Nav | Xenons | Adaptive Chassis Control
2005 VW Polo TDi (96kw) F/L
1996 Opel Kadett 160IS
1996 Citi Deco (Jazz Blue)
2SCOOPS
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by 2SCOOPS »

Had mine for a year. issues I had was - oil leak, starting issues and the wonderful timing chain tensioner failed. car only had 94000km when I bought it with FSH from VW.
Current:
2011 BMW E90 320d M Sport Auto
Ex
2012 VW Golf 6R DSG
2009 VW Golf 5 GTI DSG
2014 VW Golf 7 Gti
2010 Honda Civic Type R - Championship Edition
2011 VW Golf 6 GTI DSG
2003 RunX RSi(RIP) :weep:
1998 Civic VTEC
GB9
Major
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: 8V S3 Sedan

Post by GB9 »

2SCOOPS wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:58 am Had mine for a year. issues I had was - oil leak, starting issues and the wonderful timing chain tensioner failed. car only had 94000km when I bought it with FSH from VW.
The starting issues are a symptom of the tensioner failure. Usually present themselves just before the chain jumps a tooth, or more... :sad:
2015 Audi S3 Sedan : Nappa leather seats, LED headlights, Panoramic sunroof, rear PDC, B & O sound system
2010 VW Golf 6 GTi : RNS-510 Nav | Xenons | Adaptive Chassis Control
2005 VW Polo TDi (96kw) F/L
1996 Opel Kadett 160IS
1996 Citi Deco (Jazz Blue)
2SCOOPS
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by 2SCOOPS »

GB9 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:21 pm
2SCOOPS wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:58 am Had mine for a year. issues I had was - oil leak, starting issues and the wonderful timing chain tensioner failed. car only had 94000km when I bought it with FSH from VW.
The starting issues are a symptom of the tensioner failure. Usually present themselves just before the chain jumps a tooth, or more... :sad:
Nah, starting issues were still there even after the replacement of the tensioner, chains, guides etc.
Current:
2011 BMW E90 320d M Sport Auto
Ex
2012 VW Golf 6R DSG
2009 VW Golf 5 GTI DSG
2014 VW Golf 7 Gti
2010 Honda Civic Type R - Championship Edition
2011 VW Golf 6 GTI DSG
2003 RunX RSi(RIP) :weep:
1998 Civic VTEC
8VALVE-zn
Cadet

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

So basically from the above- stay away from this unless the money pit doesn't have a bottom.

The purpose of this vehicle is to be used daily, I'd much rather drive something that is a little less troublesome.

Thanks for the advice/experiences, it pretty much puts things into perspective.

Just out of curiosity is there any specific engine code that was affected by the above factory/design defects. For the mentioned defects, were there any developments around the failing parts to ensure longevity?

Damn I thought that my 1.6 TDI had issues- this car makes mine look like a shiny star (well not really). I might see myself in a Corolla with the way things are looking with the issues on so many VW models.

DotDubb
Can I buy your wheels?
Registered for: 15 years
Car Make: Audi A6 3.0T
Car Model: DKW, Cabrio, A6 avant,Mk2
Membership No: 1593

Post by DotDubb »

8VALVE-zn wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:12 am So basically from the above- stay away from this unless the money pit doesn't have a bottom.

The purpose of this vehicle is to be used daily, I'd much rather drive something that is a little less troublesome.

Just out of curiosity is there any specific engine code that was affected by the above factory/design defects. For the mentioned defects, were there any developments around the failing parts to ensure longevity?

Damn I thought that my 1.6 TDI had issues- this car makes mine look like a shiny star (well not really). I might see myself in a Corolla with the way things are looking with the issues on so many VW models.
Your thread is very informative. I have never had a Mk6 Gti(always wanted one), only a Mk6 TSI twincharge. It is crazy to see all the issues the cars have from factory. I'm looking at Audi A4 2.0T now and they have oil consumption issues on the pre 2012 models, but I still want one and will get one that had the pistons and rods fixed from Audi. Or I will just go forged if I ever have the same issue.

Anyways, I still think that my Mk5 GTI was the best car I have owned to date. Plus I will own a Mk6 GTI one day and will look for a clean one from this forum with a complete build thread, then you know the complete history of the car.
Current:
2012 Audi A6 3.0T TFSI Supercharged Quattro
2005 Audi A6 3.0tdi Avant Quattro
1999 Golf Cabrio Mk3.5 1.8 20V Turbo
1991 Golf Mk2 1.8 20vT
1960 Autounion DKW 1000s
Wolfburger
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years
Car Model: 6C Cross Polo

Post by Wolfburger »

DotDubb wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:36 am
8VALVE-zn wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:12 am So basically from the above- stay away from this unless the money pit doesn't have a bottom.

Your thread is very informative. I have never had a Mk6 Gti(always wanted one), only a Mk6 TSI twincharge. It is crazy to see all the issues the cars have from factory. I'm looking at Audi A4 2.0T now and they have oil consumption issues on the pre 2012 models, but I still want one and will get one that had the pistons and rods fixed from Audi. Or I will just go forged if I ever have the same issue.

Anyways, I still think that my Mk5 GTI was the best car I have owned to date. Plus I will own a Mk6 GTI one day and will look for a clean one from this forum with a complete build thread, then you know the complete history of the car.

Yeah the mk5 was really something else! Other then the Cam follower and a few little things Was the perfect package ,VW had to impress from the failure which was the mk4 and they did so well.
Current: 2015 6C Cross Polo TSI(Honey Orange) - Ginger
2009 Golf 5 GTI DSG - OEM Look - Sold
2007 Polo 9N3 Black Magic - Sold
1998 Bottle Green Jetta VR6 Executive - So
ld
Admin to : https://www.facebook.com/pg/ScenePointsSa
8VALVE-zn
Cadet

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

The MK5 GTI for me was the best built GTI of all time.

The time in which this car was designed & manufactured happened to be a time where VW used to give a damn about things like build quality. It was one of the defining reasons I bought a MK5 TDI- overall the MK5 is very well built, you can feel and see the quality. For example, the gas shock on the hood, the well built boot mechanism, the proper heavy doors, dimming rearview mirror (sounds dumb, but I love this), centre consol that is of a good size and moves front-back & up-down. These may seem like things that are unimportant, but when you daily drive it and then step into something else you instantly feel like something is missing.

Wolfburger
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years
Car Model: 6C Cross Polo

Post by Wolfburger »

8VALVE-zn wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:06 am The MK5 GTI for me was the best built GTI of all time.

The time in which this car was designed & manufactured happened to be a time where VW used to give a damn about things like build quality. It was one of the defining reasons I bought a MK5 TDI- overall the MK5 is very well built, you can feel and see the quality. For example, the gas shock on the hood, the well built boot mechanism, the proper heavy doors, dimming rearview mirror (sounds dumb, but I love this), centre consol that is of a good size and moves front-back & up-down. These may seem like things that are unimportant, but when you daily drive it and then step into something else you instantly feel like something is missing.
agree with you 1000%
Current: 2015 6C Cross Polo TSI(Honey Orange) - Ginger
2009 Golf 5 GTI DSG - OEM Look - Sold
2007 Polo 9N3 Black Magic - Sold
1998 Bottle Green Jetta VR6 Executive - So
ld
Admin to : https://www.facebook.com/pg/ScenePointsSa
mueneni12
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: MK6 GTI
Membership No: missing

Post by mueneni12 »

I love my GTI, possibly the smoothest drive of all cars I've owned.

with that said, it has been by far the most expensive car maintenance wise with a million issues. Clutch, tensioner failure, aircon pump, intercooler, brake booster etc etc.

The only reason I still have it is that I can't recoup anything from it.

Even the A8 is cheaper to run (excluding fuel usage of course) than the GTI.
Tommy
Daily: 2010 MK6 GTI Tornado Red
Occasional: 2014 Audi A8 V8 aka The Boat
Ego-stroker: 2007 Touareg V10
Hers: 2015 Honda Accord 3.5 Exclusive
Truck: 2013 Hilux V6 4.0 Heritage Edition
Sold: 2007 MK5 GTI Tornado Red
Stolen: 2015 Toyota Landcruiser V8 SC aka The Beast