Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk1 Velociti 2l 8v

1.8T 20v conversion

Post by Walter White »

Good day all!

I trust you enjoying your weekend.

I currently have a velo 2l 8v running off a polocup ECU. I've never owned a turbo car. I'd like to do a 1.8t 20v conversion. The plan is to do this build by the end of the year. I'm going to buy parts every month. Could you please help me out with a FULL list of parts needed. Thank you.

PS this would be my daily, so I'd like it to be extremely realiable
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: 1.8T 20v conversion

Post by PapaJo »

Start by buying an AGU 1.8T 20v motor. Expect to pay between 10-14k depending on the condition of the motor. The AGU motor is cable throttle body and coils are 3 pin.

You will need to buy the front engine mount at cambelt side from GW De La Rey. Think price is around 1k. While you buy that get a new cambelt and the 16v tensioner pulley as you will need this when you fit the engine mount to fit into the front engine mount slot. The plastic timing cover needs to be cut and trimmed to clear too. The cambelt, tensioner pulley and general service items for oil service and plugs will set you back around 4k.

Next you buy a Dicktator 60-2 ecu. Expect to pay 3k secondhand to 4k new. This ecu is compatible with the 3 pin coils.

Now you have spent around 23k. New 210mm clutch and pressure plate 1,5 to 2,5k depending on brand you choose. Add new flywheel bolts too, +_ R600.

Intercooler of decent size, steel pipes, silicone hose couplers and clamps and some changes on radiator water hoses. Roughly around 10k.

Total up and add some extra money for the unforseen items as you go along and you will have spend around 40k.

Depending if you are doing the work yourself with install or not, will add more to the cost.

Take note: You will need to have a downpipe made up and have atleast a 63mm 2 box exhaust system on this setup.

You will need to be looking into modifying the gearlinks to clear the turbo.

Factor money in for dyno once all is setup and that will cost you 1,5k to 2,5k depending on which tuner you go for.

Datadot and engine clearance to add motor to your cars papers is more more to be added.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Walter White wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:31 pm Good day all!

I trust you enjoying your weekend.

I currently have a velo 2l 8v running off a polocup ECU. I've never owned a turbo car. I'd like to do a 1.8t 20v conversion. The plan is to do this build by the end of the year. I'm going to buy parts every month. Could you please help me out with a FULL list of parts needed. Thank you.

PS this would be my daily, so I'd like it to be extremely realiable
Second option is to use the 2l motor and get a 16v head, pocket pistons to get clearance on inlet valves. Inlet plenum and turbo exhaust manifold, turbo, larger injectors, intercooler with boost pipes and silicone couplers.

Get a hybrid clutch plate with buttons added to binding surface if you plan to boost more than .8 bar boost.
Walter White
Enlisted

Post by Walter White »

Thank you for your prompt response. Much appreciated. Between the two options you gave me. What would you do? My budget for the whole project is about 55k. Then again is this conversion worth the money?
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

If you want a stronger motor and more boost, go for the 2L motor and 16v head combo.

Your choice. I can only give you the options. You need to decide.
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3

Post by Killerwatt »

Since it is your daily driver i would think its much better to swap in a newer drive by wire 1.8t and run it on the oem management.

Parts will be more readily available than the 16v conversion and the oem management gets you better fuel consumption and performance. It will also be easier to diagnose any issues with vcds.

This should still fit within your budget and get you around 150wkw on the stock turbo
Barney
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk3.5 Cabrio
Membership No: 1723

Post by Barney »

Just buy my cabrio - dont all the hard work for you - you just need to finish it
Barney
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk3.5 Cabrio
Membership No: 1723

Post by Barney »

Killerwatt wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:36 am Since it is your daily driver i would think its much better to swap in a newer drive by wire 1.8t and run it on the oem management.

Parts will be more readily available than the 16v conversion and the oem management gets you better fuel consumption and performance. It will also be easier to diagnose any issues with vcds.

This should still fit within your budget and get you around 150wkw on the stock turbo
i agree with this gent - best thing i did was go oem ecu and drive by wire - then you can use obd scanner and tuner houses
Walter White
Enlisted

Post by Walter White »

Hello everyone... So instead of buying everything. I just went ahead and bought a full car with a 1.8t 20v. Engine code: apu. These motors were from a Passat. The car is an ex Jhb car. Does anyone know whose car it is?

It's a full track car. It's a white 2 door.

Sorry for being dumb but I don't know how to attach images
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Traffic dept should be able to have details of owner. Just don’t know if they will provide it to you.

As for posting pictures, create an account on an image hosting site like postimg.org, upload pictures there, open the picture and pick the option to copy code to a forum site, create a post window on your post and paste the copied link in your post and all done and dusted.
Walter White
Enlisted

Post by Walter White »

Walter White
Enlisted

Post by Walter White »

PapaJo wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:58 pm Traffic dept should be able to have details of owner. Just don’t know if they will provide it to you.

As for posting pictures, create an account on an image hosting site like postimg.org, upload pictures there, open the picture and pick the option to copy code to a forum site, create a post window on your post and paste the copied link in your post and all done and dusted.
@papa the car is not registered. It's a full on track car.

Thanks for the advice. I added a link :hurray:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Link ain't working. Takes you to the login screen.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

panic-mechanic wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:06 pm Link ain't working. Takes you to the login screen.
Yep.
Walter White
Enlisted

Post by Walter White »

Sorry about that everyone.

Here is a new link

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2fvw7o538/
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Ok, that sort of work.

Di the following to copy the link and post it in a post.

Click on the “Share” button an then you would see a number of url links. Scroll down to the second one from the bottom that say “Hotlink for forums”. Click on that link on the right side where it show the little blocks and it will indicate “copied” and then you paste that in your post.

PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Here’s some helping with your pictures:
Imagevault 22 location
Imagemobil gas station nyc
Imagenearest bb&t bank
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

That button clutch had seen better days.....lol!
flyhid
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 11 months

1.8T 20v conversion

Post by flyhid »

Walter White wrote:Thank you for your prompt response. Much appreciated. Between the two options you gave me. What would you do? My budget for the whole project is about 55k. Then again is this conversion worth the money?

Hi,

Conversion does cost a bit but it all worth it at the end.
You could also consider doing the bolt on turbo kits for the 8v engines which cost a lot less and the car goes well.

This was my car with 8v turbo

This is now and **** it goes nicely...

All the best ....

Walter White
Enlisted

Post by Walter White »

PapaJo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:20 pm That button clutch had seen better days.....lol!
Hi papa! Thanks so much for the help, much appreciated. Where the button clutch is concerned. I thought the same. Everyone has been telling me that the clutch is still in a decent condition. I've been told to look at the rivets...
Walter White
Enlisted

Post by Walter White »

flyhid wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:32 pm
Walter White wrote:Thank you for your prompt response. Much appreciated. Between the two options you gave me. What would you do? My budget for the whole project is about 55k. Then again is this conversion worth the money?

Hi,

Conversion does cost a bit but it all worth it at the end.
You could also consider doing the bolt on turbo kits for the 8v engines which cost a lot less and the car goes well.

This was my car with 8v turbo

This is now and **** it goes nicely...

All the best ....

Looks very nice I must say. What gearbox are you using? And what turbo if you don't mind me asking
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Walter White wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:37 pm
PapaJo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:20 pm That button clutch had seen better days.....lol!
Hi papa! Thanks so much for the help, much appreciated. Where the button clutch is concerned. I thought the same. Everyone has been telling me that the clutch is still in a decent condition. I've been told to look at the rivets...
You’re welcome. When the buttons are touching the rivets and also burnt black like those they had their best days.

What pressure plate was used. Looks as there was some slippage.
Walter White
Enlisted

Post by Walter White »

PapaJo wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:27 pm
Walter White wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:37 pm
You’re welcome. When the buttons are touching the rivets and also burnt black like those they had their best days.

What pressure plate was used. Looks as there was some slippage.

So do you suggest that I have the clutch redone?

It wasn't slipping. Not sure about the pressure plate but it's an 02J gearbox.

There's some shaft play so I'm going to get another tubo... What sizes do you guys suggest?
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

If I were you, I will change the buttons to save future strip and remove to replace when they are completely worn.

Play on turbo shaft. Might just need a new kit and balance. What do you have now? Specs on what you have?
Walter White
Enlisted

Post by Walter White »

It's a fongkong turbo so I might as well buy a new 1 don't you think? 4k with a billet wheel