2018 VW Polo TSI DSG highline 1.0 consumption

DocJ021
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK6 2018 Polo TSI

Re: 2018 VW Polo TSI DSG highline 1.0 consumption

Post by DocJ021 »

Here is a cold start with a small rev, obv cause its cold didnt want to rev too much. Sorry car is dirty its been raining nonstop>
https://youtu.be/yYcNKyml3z4
Current: VW Polo MK6 TSI, 100wkw 250nm
Ex: 2010 Subaru WRX widebody
Zeyad
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Velociti
Membership No: missing

Post by Zeyad »

Wow nice! Sounds quite loud hey... What size exhaust is it? Also if possible i would like to see what your CAI looks like in the bay

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Current: 2010 Bmw 320i (A) ///M-Sport Dynamic Pack
Carbon fibre splitters+mirrors+rear spoiler,
18" M-sport wheels (Anthracite)
Leather seats with blue stitching
Sunroof
Rear PDC

Ex Ride: 2005 VeloCiti 1.6i
52mm Piper exhaust + branch
K&N flatpad filter plus CAI
60mm Razor lowering springs
Gas Ryder shortened shocks
DocJ021
Cadet

Post by DocJ021 »

The CAI is the Forge motorsport Intake from VAG. It fits straight on. Will take a few pics when i wash the car tomorrow. To embarrassed now as its hella dirty. Oh the exhaust is 57mm. (edit added exhaust diameter).
DocJ021
Cadet

Post by DocJ021 »

The CAI

Last edited by DocJ021 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeyad
Enlisted

Post by Zeyad »

I can't see the picture, it won't load :/

Sunroof
Rear PDC

DocJ021
Cadet

Post by DocJ021 »

Just updated it, should see it now.
Zeyad
Enlisted

Post by Zeyad »

Snug fit! Awesome stuff

Sunroof
Rear PDC

Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

DocJ021 wrote:The CAI

Not sure how the bigger car has less space than the old one for CAI

Sent from my CPH1717 using Tapatalk

Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
Zeyad
Enlisted

Post by Zeyad »

Kavi4GP wrote:
DocJ021 wrote:The CAI

Not sure how the bigger car has less space than the old one for CAI

Sent from my CPH1717 using Tapatalk
And not forgetting 1 cylinder less...

Sunroof
Rear PDC

DocJ021
Cadet

Post by DocJ021 »

I like the position though, and did some "hand" tests after driving for 40 minutes. Open the bonnet and put my hand in the closed off area and it has a noticeably lower ambient temp than the rest of the engine bay so the shield works very well.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

DocJ021 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:13 pm Here is a cold start with a small rev, obv cause its cold didnt want to rev too much. Sorry car is dirty its been raining nonstop>
https://youtu.be/yYcNKyml3z4
Sounds really good, love it.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Tiano10_ZA
Enlisted

Post by Tiano10_ZA »

Zeyad wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:55 am Hi guys,

On a trip from Dbn to Jhb i averaged 6.5l/100km with a boot full of luggage, 2 adults and a child. Use of aircon from halfway going up.

On the trip down from Jhb to Dbn i averaged 5.5l/100km with aircon on the entire way and the same 2 adults and a child. Boot wasn't as full though.

On local runs i average around 7 to 7.5l/100km.

Best ive got so far was 14.25km/L(570km) on a 40L tank. To me this seems heavy but im not sure. Btw mine is 1.0TSI comfortline dsg with Rline package.

Also does anyone know of any reputable PnP units available for these cars?

And 1 more thing, what is this eco mode u guys speak off? How do u activate it?

Regards,

"And 1 more thing, what is this eco mode u guys speak off? How do u activate it?"

Howsit bud, theres a button next to your gear shifter that should say "mode" then you can change between normal, eco, sport and custom. I have this option on the highline polo
Zeyad
Enlisted

Post by Zeyad »

Tiano10_ZA wrote:
Zeyad wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:55 am Hi guys,

On a trip from Dbn to Jhb i averaged 6.5l/100km with a boot full of luggage, 2 adults and a child. Use of aircon from halfway going up.

On the trip down from Jhb to Dbn i averaged 5.5l/100km with aircon on the entire way and the same 2 adults and a child. Boot wasn't as full though.

On local runs i average around 7 to 7.5l/100km.

Best ive got so far was 14.25km/L(570km) on a 40L tank. To me this seems heavy but im not sure. Btw mine is 1.0TSI comfortline dsg with Rline package.

Also does anyone know of any reputable PnP units available for these cars?

And 1 more thing, what is this eco mode u guys speak off? How do u activate it?

Regards,

"And 1 more thing, what is this eco mode u guys speak off? How do u activate it?"

Howsit bud, theres a button next to your gear shifter that should say "mode" then you can change between normal, eco, sport and custom. I have this option on the highline polo
Aah i see.. Actually i don't see coz i have the comfortline. Hahaha thanks bud

Sunroof
Rear PDC

Riyaadhsaley
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 6 years 1 month
Car Model: MK5 GTI

Post by Riyaadhsaley »

JeetashR wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:49 pm Hi Members,

I purchased a 2018 VW Polo TSI DSG close to a year ago and the fuel consumption averages around 7l/100km. I mostly do short runs weekly but even if I do a long run it still uses more fuel than I expect it to. I can actually see the needle move after 15km of driving.

I don't have a heavy foot and not sure what the other owners consumption is? I did inform VW and the checked for any leaks and couldn't find any fault. They informed me that DSG is a little on the heavier side with regards to fuel consumption.

I previously owned a 1.4i velociti and I used to drive like I stole it :troll: :troll: and was still lighter :hug: than the new VW Polo. VW shouldn't claim 4.5 when clearly it ain't :iagree:

let me know what you guys think....
I don't know about the 1.0 tsi, but I've had a few 1.2 tsi's. The dsg used to average at about 6.8-7.5l per 100km. The manual on the other hand, used to return anywhere between 5 and 6.5l per 100km. Also, I don't know if you watched the top gear episode where they compare the consumption of an M3 V8 to a Prius on the track. The Prius used more fuel than the the V8. I'm guessing it's sort of the same concept. Heavy foot + Small motor = Heavier than expected consumption.
2008 Black Magic Golf 5 GTI - 194kw 414nm @ R&S Motorsport

1982 Mercedes 230 (W123) - White, bagged.
Sean Trollope
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 5 months
Car Make: VW. Hyundai.
Car Model: Citi golf. Hyundai i10

Post by Sean Trollope »

A small engine is a strained engine as it needs to work harder in order to achieve the same results. The 1l in the up for example is pretty economical compared the the 1l tsi. Because an up is light and the power to weight ratio is better(oviously) but even given the turbo the tsi is pretty heavy for the motor.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

DocJ021
Cadet

Post by DocJ021 »

Well the UP is 929kg and the Polo TSI is 1049kg so thats just over 100kg which is not that much consider driver weight and the possibility of 17 inch wheels etc. If i try drive nicely, i can get 4,7l/100km, that was a month average of driving my daily commute from Edenvale to Sandton in peak hour traffic.
Sean Trollope
Cadet

Post by Sean Trollope »

I'm referencing a 2 door up my friend has. Not sure if it makes a difference

DocJ021
Cadet

Post by DocJ021 »

So it depends on which 3 door, as there is a non TSI which is only 55kw and 900kg and the TSI which is 66kw and 1002kg according to a few different sources. So on either model the Polo comes out with better weight to power ratio, the Polo at the lowest spec model of 15kg/kw and the Up at 16kg/kw or 15.2kg/kw for the TSI UP. I would not argue with you as I agree though that the UP would get better fuel consumption based on overall weight as their is still more effort required the more weight for things like uphill driving and stop start forces. However this is marginal and this becomes a very driver dependent issue.
Last edited by DocJ021 on Mon May 13, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Trollope
Cadet

Post by Sean Trollope »

I'm not exactly sure which up it is.

VWicked
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: Golf 2 GTi
Membership No: 1492

Post by VWicked »

panic-mechanic wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:26 pm So to get actual consumption number you should fill up again and divide the distance traveled by km.
Saying you did 300km on a 1/4 tank means nothing. That is not how you get consumption numbers. On board display is also only partially accurate.
I just cannot seem to take anybody serious that wants to talk consumption but that gives measurements like that.
Ah the number of times poor Panic has said this... I come on after month's and same story...
Have you had your bottle of Hatorade today?

1992 Golf Mk2 GTi VR6
1994 Caddy 1800 Sport
JeetashR
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 10 months

Post by JeetashR »

VWicked wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:30 pm
panic-mechanic wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:26 pm So to get actual consumption number you should fill up again and divide the distance traveled by km.
Saying you did 300km on a 1/4 tank means nothing. That is not how you get consumption numbers. On board display is also only partially accurate.
I just cannot seem to take anybody serious that wants to talk consumption but that gives measurements like that.
Ah the number of times poor Panic has said this... I come on after month's and same story...
Panic mechanic did make me feel low when he stated he could not take me seriously :( , i thereafter did a proper analysis on my fuel consumption by creating my own personal windows app which i use to capture data every time i refill. Data such as temperature when filling, cost of fuel, liters filled up, time of day and so forth which i analyse. I also created custom reports to display averages and more. Will be testing long term and will keep you updated along the way...
Mitch
Colonel
Registered for: 11 years 6 months
Car Model: Polo 1.0 R-Line
Membership No: 1840

Post by Mitch »

JeetashR wrote:
Panic mechanic did make me feel low when he stated he could not take me seriously :( , i thereafter did a proper analysis on my fuel consumption by creating my own personal windows app which i use to capture data every time i refill. Data such as temperature when filling, cost of fuel, liters filled up, time of day and so forth which i analyse. I also created custom reports to display averages and more. Will be testing long term and will keep you updated along the way...
Why do all that. Just use fuelly
Current:
2019 VW Polo Vivo GT 1.0TSI (Reef Blue Metallic)

Past:
2019 Toyota Rav-4 GX-R AWD (Graphite Grey Metallic)
2019 VW Polo 1.0 R-Line (Reef Blue Metallic)
2012 VW MKVI GTI (Candy White)
2011 VW Polo 6R Comfortline (Black Magic Pearl)
2008 Opel Corsa Lite+ (Silver)
1990 VW Fox 1.3 (Red)
JeetashR
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 10 months

Post by JeetashR »

Mitch wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:42 pm
JeetashR wrote:
I could have done something like that but i wanted something custom that i can expand on if i need to in the future, did it in my spare time. Didn't take much.
VWicked
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: Golf 2 GTi
Membership No: 1492

Post by VWicked »

JeetashR wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 3:00 pm
Mitch wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:42 pm
JeetashR wrote:

I could have done something like that but i wanted something custom that i can expand on if i need to in the future, did it in my spare time. Didn't take much.
good job, look forward to seeing the results. My brother has this car and he's also into consumption figures so I'm sure it will be closely watched.

As for Panic, don't take it negatively, he is one of the biggest advice givers here. There have been so many guys over the years saying, I only got 100km with R80 fuel, is that good - so all he's saying is that, the 1/4 tank or R80 etc doesn't explain what you're actually getting, be more precise around litres per 100km etc.
Have you had your bottle of Hatorade today?

1992 Golf Mk2 GTi VR6
1994 Caddy 1800 Sport
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

I can still understand temperature as a factor (although the temperature in the undergrounds tanks must be pretty constant) - but curious minds would like to know, how does time of day come into the equation?
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -