2018 VW Polo TSI DSG highline 1.0 consumption

JeetashR
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 10 months

2018 VW Polo TSI DSG highline 1.0 consumption

Post by JeetashR »

Hi Members,

I purchased a 2018 VW Polo TSI DSG close to a year ago and the fuel consumption averages around 7l/100km. I mostly do short runs weekly but even if I do a long run it still uses more fuel than I expect it to. I can actually see the needle move after 15km of driving.

I don't have a heavy foot and not sure what the other owners consumption is? I did inform VW and the checked for any leaks and couldn't find any fault. They informed me that DSG is a little on the heavier side with regards to fuel consumption.

I previously owned a 1.4i velociti and I used to drive like I stole it :troll: :troll: and was still lighter :hug: than the new VW Polo. VW shouldn't claim 4.5 when clearly it ain't :iagree:

let me know what you guys think....
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 2018 VW Polo TSI DSG highline 1.0 consumption

Post by panic-mechanic »

real life consumption never gets near claimed.
fortunately I have never ever bought a car based on consumption so have never felt that disappointment.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
JeetashR
Enlisted

Post by JeetashR »

Neither have i bought a car based on fuel consumption but it's something i have noticed. I guess fuel consumption is such a dynamic area that it may be hard to diagnose. I still love my VW though.

Thanks for your 2 cents...
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

Driving a DSG takes getting used to.

Any car doesn't like short stints. Also stop and go kills consumption.

In my Audi the OBC can show anything from 19km/l average over a 30km trip. Worst i've seen is 9km/l. Depends how you drive really.

My average over the last 40,000km is 14km/l, so your polo should definately come down.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
neil_fladderak
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 9 months
Car Model: Polo 6C 1.8 GTI DSG

Post by neil_fladderak »

I would expect your car to have a way better fuel consumption if i look at my personal experience i had with my polo tsi highline which was a 1.2 and i got around average of 5.4L/100km and that was with an aftermarket intake, catback exhaust and stage 1 software. i used to get around 800km on 45L.
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- 152kw 282nm on flywheel at Dynotech (runs were without below mention hardware)
- RoguePerformance 76mm Dp
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
'17 Polo 6C 1.2TSI Highline Manual WRC Inspired (Stage 1 Tuned, TWEEK CAI, Powerflow cat-back exhaust) viewtopic.php?f=11&t=212395&p=2569296#p2569296
'06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline (Stock)
'05 Corsa 1.6 Sport (Stock)
PoloRolo
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 3 months
Car Model: Golf 7.5 R-Line

Post by PoloRolo »

neil_fladderak wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:55 am I would expect your car to have a way better fuel consumption if i look at my personal experience i had with my polo tsi highline which was a 1.2 and i got around average of 5.4L/100km and that was with an aftermarket intake, catback exhaust and stage 1 software. i used to get around 800km on 45L.
That's excellent - I only managed to get around 5.5L/100km driving from JHB to Durban. Daily city runs its around 7.5L/100km - 1.2 Polo TSI
G-spot
Committee Member
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Audi S3 Sedan
Membership No: 1215

Post by G-spot »

PoloRolo wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:11 pm
neil_fladderak wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:55 am I would expect your car to have a way better fuel consumption if i look at my personal experience i had with my polo tsi highline which was a 1.2 and i got around average of 5.4L/100km and that was with an aftermarket intake, catback exhaust and stage 1 software. i used to get around 800km on 45L.
That's excellent - I only managed to get around 5.5L/100km driving from JHB to Durban. Daily city runs its around 7.5L/100km - 1.2 Polo TSI
That's almost identical to what I get
Grant Hendry
Membership no.:1215

Current:
2016 Audi S3 Sedan
1978 VW Golf 1100 GL
Ex:
2012 VW Golf GTI Edition 35
2007 VW Golf GTI
2006 Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
2012 VW Polo GTI
JeetashR
Enlisted

Post by JeetashR »

Hi Gents,

This past weekend I decided to test the car, I filled the tank up. I drove mostly on Eco mode and a coast down a few hill and the best I could get was 300km on a quarter tank of fuel. I never accelerate more than 3000 rpm and let the car auto shift around 2500rpm too 3000 rpm.

If I do normal driving with the aircorn on my consumption is around 6.5 without aircorn it drops to 5.5 on flat even road while using cruise control.

So I'm assuming I have a heavy foot now and then which probably raised my fuel consumption.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

So to get actual consumption number you should fill up again and divide the distance traveled by km.
Saying you did 300km on a 1/4 tank means nothing. That is not how you get consumption numbers. On board display is also only partially accurate.
I just cannot seem to take anybody serious that wants to talk consumption but that gives measurements like that.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
neil_fladderak
Cadet

Post by neil_fladderak »

Was yours the trendline/comfortline/highline? I know the trend and comfortline's are lighter, but also my software gave me better consumption, but my car also didn't have CC so might have been better with it too.
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- 152kw 282nm on flywheel at Dynotech (runs were without below mention hardware)
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
'17 Polo 6C 1.2TSI Highline Manual WRC Inspired (Stage 1 Tuned, TWEEK CAI, Powerflow cat-back exhaust) viewtopic.php?f=11&t=212395&p=2569296#p2569296
PoloRolo
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 3 months
Car Model: Golf 7.5 R-Line

Post by PoloRolo »

neil_fladderak wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:05 pm
Was yours the trendline/comfortline/highline? I know the trend and comfortline's are lighter, but also my software gave me better consumption, but my car also didn't have CC so might have been better with it too.
It's a highline. I've accepted the city run fuel consumption at around 7.5L/100km as I've monitored it for a year. The city runs consist of 95% robot to robot driving/traffic and no freeway driving.
Hotdubz
General
Registered for: 18 years
Car Model: Golf 7R

Post by Hotdubz »

Stop complaining. I get that mileage on 100L :crazy:
neil_fladderak
Cadet

Post by neil_fladderak »

Hotdubz wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:42 pm
Stop complaining. I get that mileage on 100L :crazy:
:lol: i know the struggle, im also now close to that mileage with my gti :crazy:
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
JeetashR
Enlisted

Post by JeetashR »

Thanks, appreciate all your suggestions and comments. Truly made me smile.

Especially panic mechanic i quote "I just cannot seem to take anybody serious that wants to talk consumption but that gives measurements like that.".................................I do see the irony in his name lol.
Tiano10_ZA
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 1 month

Post by Tiano10_ZA »

JeetashR wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:49 pm Hi Members,

I purchased a 2018 VW Polo TSI DSG close to a year ago and the fuel consumption averages around 7l/100km. I mostly do short runs weekly but even if I do a long run it still uses more fuel than I expect it to. I can actually see the needle move after 15km of driving.

I don't have a heavy foot and not sure what the other owners consumption is? I did inform VW and the checked for any leaks and couldn't find any fault. They informed me that DSG is a little on the heavier side with regards to fuel consumption.

I previously owned a 1.4i velociti and I used to drive like I stole it :troll: :troll: and was still lighter :hug: than the new VW Polo. VW shouldn't claim 4.5 when clearly it ain't :iagree:

Hey JeetashR, i'm glad that i am not the only one that had/has this concern. I have a 2018 tsi highline manual, also selected on eco mode and only get +-600km off a tank whereas my previous 2013 polo 1.6 comfortline used to get 650km+ :(

Would stage 1 software be an answer to this? i emailed ferroli and they mentioned that "The vehicle is still very new and I’m sure that REVO still has to do the R&D. They won’t release software until they are happy."
neil_fladderak
Cadet

Post by neil_fladderak »

Tiano10_ZA wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:09 am Hey JeetashR, i'm glad that i am not the only one that had/has this concern. I have a 2018 tsi highline manual, also selected on eco mode and only get +-600km off a tank whereas my previous 2013 polo 1.6 comfortline used to get 650km+ :(

Would stage 1 software be an answer to this? i emailed ferroli and they mentioned that "The vehicle is still very new and I’m sure that REVO still has to do the R&D. They won’t release software until they are happy."
I think when there is stage 1 software fully developed for these cars it would help when you obviously drive it carefully as i could see a noticeable drop in fuel consumption after stage 1 on my 2017 1.2 tsi highline manual.
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
Tiano10_ZA
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 1 month

Post by Tiano10_ZA »

neil_fladderak wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:52 am
Tiano10_ZA wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:09 am Hey JeetashR, i'm glad that i am not the only one that had/has this concern. I have a 2018 tsi highline manual, also selected on eco mode and only get +-600km off a tank whereas my previous 2013 polo 1.6 comfortline used to get 650km+ :(

I think when there is stage 1 software fully developed for these cars it would help when you obviously drive it carefully as i could see a noticeable drop in fuel consumption after stage 1 on my 2017 1.2 tsi highline manual.
awesome, thanks neil, which software did you go for?
neil_fladderak
Cadet

Post by neil_fladderak »

Tiano10_ZA wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:08 pm awesome, thanks neil, which software did you go for?
ATM Chiptuning did my stage 1 software for like R3800 which is pretty decent.
Current:
'17 Polo 6C GTI DSG
- Stock ECU/TCU Software
- Stealth Atom 2 CAI
Ex:
V^MP
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years

Post by V^MP »

I am having the exact same issue!!! My car (same model) is averaging 5.9L/100km with combined driving and stupidly consumption gets worse with the open road! As bad as 7.5L/100km while in eco mode and not accelerating hard.
THe other issue that I have is that the eco mode is "On' but when you stop and restart the car the gears do not shift to eco, even though the mode is still selected. I truly feel in my gut that this is a programming error and there is too much fuel being injected, even with the DSG changing gears before 2000 - 2500. The dealer has said that they do not know why the gears are not kicking into eco regardless of the car staying in the eco mode.
The dealer also couldn't explain some other electronic items like the A/C (not clima control) kicking in by itself or the fan speeding up and down at random. My gut is telling me that there is a major programming error and VW service assistants not knowing a whole lot about IT are just saying "that is how VW have programmed it and there is nothing that we can do" as a way to avoid trying to investigate and solve the problem.

The previous TSI polo models used to get 900km to a 40L tank!!! I can;t even get 700 now.

I would be interested in lodging a complaint with customer care and having you jump in on the action to show VW that this is not a once off...
JeetashR
Enlisted

Post by JeetashR »

V^MP wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:29 pm

I am having the exact same issue!!! My car (same model) is averaging 5.9L/100km with combined driving and stupidly consumption gets worse with the open road! As bad as 7.5L/100km while in eco mode and not accelerating hard.
THe other issue that I have is that the eco mode is "On' but when you stop and restart the car the gears do not shift to eco, even though the mode is still selected. I truly feel in my gut that this is a programming error and there is too much fuel being injected, even with the DSG changing gears before 2000 - 2500. The dealer has said that they do not know why the gears are not kicking into eco regardless of the car staying in the eco mode.
The dealer also couldn't explain some other electronic items like the A/C (not clima control) kicking in by itself or the fan speeding up and down at random. My gut is telling me that there is a major programming error and VW service assistants not knowing a whole lot about IT are just saying "that is how VW have programmed it and there is nothing that we can do" as a way to avoid trying to investigate and solve the problem.

The previous TSI polo models used to get 900km to a 40L tank!!! I can;t even get 700 now.

I would be interested in lodging a complaint with customer care and having you jump in on the action to show VW that this is not a once off...
Hi , i have also noticed the issue of the fan speeding up and down, forgot to mention on the last service. I will surely join you on lodging the complaint. I also have another person who is in the same issue,
Zeyad
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Model: Velociti

Post by Zeyad »

Hi guys,

On a trip from Dbn to Jhb i averaged 6.5l/100km with a boot full of luggage, 2 adults and a child. Use of aircon from halfway going up.

On the trip down from Jhb to Dbn i averaged 5.5l/100km with aircon on the entire way and the same 2 adults and a child. Boot wasn't as full though.

On local runs i average around 7 to 7.5l/100km.

Best ive got so far was 14.25km/L(570km) on a 40L tank. To me this seems heavy but im not sure. Btw mine is 1.0TSI comfortline dsg with Rline package.

Also does anyone know of any reputable PnP units available for these cars?

And 1 more thing, what is this eco mode u guys speak off? How do u activate it?

Regards,

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Current: 2010 Bmw 320i (A) ///M-Sport Dynamic Pack
Carbon fibre splitters+mirrors+rear spoiler,
18" M-sport wheels (Anthracite)
Leather seats with blue stitching
Sunroof
Rear PDC

Ex Ride: 2005 VeloCiti 1.6i
52mm Piper exhaust + branch
K&N flatpad filter plus CAI
60mm Razor lowering springs
Gas Ryder shortened shocks
Le Clue
Field Marshal
Registered for: 14 years 6 months
Car Model: Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
Membership No: 1458

Post by Le Clue »

You guys do realize the new Polo has a 5l smaller capacity fuel tank? SO even if it gets the same mileage as the previous 1.2TSI it's doing it by using 5l less fuel.
Previous Rides:
2016 VW Golf Mk7 GTI Clubsport
2011 VW Golf Mk6 R
2007 VW Golf Mk5 GTI
2013 VW Polo 6R GTI
2011 VW Scirocco GT 2.0TSI
2010 VW Golf Mk6 GTI
2007 VW Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
2009 VW CitiRox 1.6i
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

I don't know about others, but I don't calculate my consumption "per tankful", but using actual litres. Size of the tank doesn't come into play.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
DocJ021
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 2 months
Car Model: MK6 2018 Polo TSI

Post by DocJ021 »

So i have the 1.0 TSI Trendline, 5 speed manual. I travel 40 odd KM a day between Edenvale and Fourways so it is a mixture of Highway and side roads. I average 6.7l/100km. The car however is not stock. It has a CAI, Viper exhaust and celtic ECU map(cars @100kw). I don't exactly drive slowly but yea, thats my take. If i drive nicely i get around 5.8l/100km on the same trip.
Current: VW Polo MK6 TSI, 100wkw 250nm
Ex: 2010 Subaru WRX widebody
Zeyad
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Model: Velociti

Post by Zeyad »

That's decent i think considering that you aren't driving slowly. Must be sounding wild DocJ. Post a clip if you can.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Current: 2010 Bmw 320i (A) ///M-Sport Dynamic Pack
Carbon fibre splitters+mirrors+rear spoiler,
18" M-sport wheels (Anthracite)
Leather seats with blue stitching
Sunroof
Rear PDC

Ex Ride: 2005 VeloCiti 1.6i
52mm Piper exhaust + branch
K&N flatpad filter plus CAI
60mm Razor lowering springs
Gas Ryder shortened shocks