Knocking noise on polo 9n3

KadeHudson
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Knocking noise on polo 9n3

Post by KadeHudson »

Hi everyone.
My 2008 polo 9n3 makes a knocking sound when i exceed the speed of 70km/h. I checked the arm bushers, engine mounts and they're fine. Please help
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: Knocking noise on polo 9n3

Post by missioner »

Get a shock test done and have the tyres checked for delamination. It's difficult to say exactly what's wrong without a vehicle to inspect, so go see a fitment center or a trusted expert.

Essentially if the shocks are effed they cannot eliminate the harmonics of the spring and the tyre at a certain speed, the tyre bounces continuously and you feel a vibration.

Tyre delamination is when the steel reinforcement for the tread breaks loose from the nylon tyre casing. The tyre loses its shape and is no longer round, driving at any speed and there is first a wobble and then later it becomes a severe vibration accompanied by a loud droning noise.

Both of these situations should be rectified with haste as this is seriously negatively affecting the safety of everybody in or near your car. Bad shocks increase your braking distance and reduce the cornering ability of your car, consider what would happen in some sort of emergency on the road. Bad tyres if left can fail completely and come flying apart possibly colliding with a car near you when it happens.

I'm not saying that these thing are what's wrong with your car, but they are definite possibilities. Have your car seen to ASAP.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+